RC51 Forums banner

Dealer recommends 42 PSI in front tire!?!?!?!?!?

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  madbuyer 
#1 ·
I brought my front wheel into the stealership to change my front tire. Seriously, this guy told me I should be running 42 PSI in the front tire! I said that the maunual states 36 max PSI. Is this guy right out to lunch?

#3 ·
No that is not correct for the front although it would be kinda correct for the rear under the right circumstances

42 & 36 PSI are the max psi ratings for the Rear & Front tire respectively. That means it is the maximum pressure you should run in those tires for carrying the maximum load they are rated for. If you are not carrying the maximum load then the tires do not need to be inflated to those pressures and reasonably lower pressures will offer you a better ride and more traction in all conditions.

#4 ·
Bet the guy had the front/rear tire factory ratings mixed up due to lack of brains. :D

#5 · (Edited)
I run mine quite a bit lower on the street and even lower on the track.
42 is pretty high. I wouldn't run it that high, but like stated above, it depends on multiple factors. How you ride, where you ride, the tires you're running, etc.

I think the bigger thing here is finding a shop you trust, unless you're doing the work yourself.
When you don't call them 'stealership' is when you find a good one.

Good luck man!!!

#14 · (Edited)
a lot of drivers who ask if they should be inflating their tires according to the maximum PSI (pounds per square inch) listed on the sidewall. However, when it comes to the right tire pressure, the maximum is not the optimum.

For smooth, safe rides and long-lasting tires, it’s important to find the right tire pressure for your bike.

Somewhere on the sidewall of your tire, just below the big, bold letters of the manufacturer, for example, you might have noticed the words ‘Max. Press. 35 PSI.’ That number tells you the maximum cold pressure needed for your tire to carry its maximum load.

I mention ‘cold’ pressure because that means you’re filling up your tires at the ideal time—when they’re cold. First thing in the morning or after sitting for a few hours in the shade is best.

You’ll find the manufacturer’s optimum or recommended tire pressure for your bike in the manual like said above. That number indicates the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support your vehicles maximum load-carrying capacity. Any less, and you’ll see poor fuel economy and handling as well as premature wear from too much flexing and tire overloading.

When your tires are inflated to the recommended PSI, you enjoy their optimum life and performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.