RC51 Forums banner

9K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  Rob H 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

New to the forum. Just picked up a wreck which I would like to rebuild. Spent some time today cleaning and stripping for a primary accessment. Looking at the bike I would say it was a wheelie gone bad. All the plastic is damaged as well as the left hand side engine cover. Also no Keyes. Not sure if that is going to be an issue.
First thing on my agenda is to try and get it running and then decide which direction to go in.

I am going to need some help and advice. To the best of my knowledge this is the only SP2 in Oman.

Regards

Rob

I notice the pic is upside down, how do I flip it?

Rob

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure which way to go with it. It depends on when I get it to run.
I was thinking street fighter but have always loved them in their natural state.
Parts are just expensive and very very scarce here.
I have started the process of looking for stuff all over the world.
It's going to be fun!
😀

#4 ·
ive got a complete Ignition, gas cap and tail lock with keys

thats surely a rare bike over there, i would put it back to original just for bragging rights.

Parts can be had, its just the shipping is an issue.

Reactions: jondog9
#6 ·
Over the last 5 years, I've seen just about every part one would need to restore a RC51 back to original pass thru this forum and Speedzilla. The catch is, sometimes you may wait a gawdawful long time for the right part to show up.
I also restored a crasher, took about 8 months. Got all my parts from this forum, ebay, and online Honda dealers.

Welcome to the forum!

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum Rob!

Let me know if you decide to take the naked bike approach, I might be doing something similar with my wreck of an rc.

Best of luck!

-Drew

#10 ·
Short update. Been out working on the bike tonight. There is lots to do. The front wheel was on backwards for some reason. The brake calipers were under tension because the spacing was all wrong. Sorted that out and removed what was left of the exhaust and the hangers. My list is getting longer by the day.............

Had a look at the stator and it looks ok so I am confident it will be ok, however the pulse generator took a big hit and broke off inside the cover so that will have to be replaced. It may be a good idea for me to put a meter across it and see but I would be more comfortable with replacing it too be honest.

I am focussing on getting it to start so I can further assess which direction to take. I have had a look at the plugs and down the inlet manifolds, it all looks ok. The engine turns over by hand nice and smooth.

Did download and print the shop manuals today so I have some reading to do.😀!

#13 ·
Greetings all,

I now have an engine,frame and swing arm on the table. That's all that's left of the bike.
Now need to start gathering the bits that have been offered by you good people on the forum.

Will start the process in the next day or 2.

Tried to upload a photo but still keeps loading upside down. aargh!

Regards
Rob

#16 ·
In what condition did your exhaust come off like? Can't wait to see this project come together!

#18 ·
The exhaust was shattered. Left side missing completely. Right hand side was badly dented and is not for this bike. it was welded on underneath.

So I am going to need a complete system........In a couple of months: wink2:. Christmas present????

#17 ·
A street fighter won't be so great, IMHO. It's a compromise based on cost but it will be compromised!

A friend & I rebuilt a very similar example, which we bought crash damaged. Probably in worse condition than your's to start. With the help of members here & elsewhere, we completely restored it. The story is here.

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/11617-so-i-bought-project-last-night.html

Do your's right and refuse to cut corners. That means no Chinese crap fairings, etc.
Spread it over time and it won't hurt the wallet too much, but expect to need a LOT of parts to do this job right.

Not sure if you'll need a lock set, the key number may be on the lock for the seat cover.

#21 ·
Hello

Managed to sort out the upside down picture problem today. Bike is waiting for parts.
I did want to wait to see if the engine would run before I did any other work but have started to prepare the tank and the only piece of plastic that is not damaged.
Also cleaning up the wheels so I can repaint those

I have a vision saw this on the net, could even have been on this site, I am not really sure anymore as I have looked at lots of pictures

Think a cross-street and track bike that I can use on the mountain roads here with the odd trip up to the Dubai Autodrome.
At the moment there is lots going on in my head......

Attachments

#24 ·
Can't wait to see this come together! Please, oh please use the red seat haha keep us updated!

#25 ·
Update

Greetings

Latest update, it runs! I located a cover in Dubai, already committed to a forum member to take one off his hands as well. His is nicer so it will go on once I get it.

Anyway, spent the day yesterday fitting cover and changing oil and filter. Repaired some poor contact on the engine ECU. Fitted the fuel pump back in the tank. I did do some work on the tank this week.(see pic)

Made a list as long as my arm for the bits I need.

Recovered the seat(in red as requested):laugh:

Pressed the start button and it fired up. Dogs ran away(has no silencers)

Gave me goose bumps to hear it. Awesome!

Rob

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.