Hello from Belgium! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hello from Belgium!

My name is Rob, American living in Belgium since 2010. Married to a French speaking Belgian, 2nd kid on the way.

This makes bike number 9, and my first 'dreambike' purchase. Started on a ninja 250, and ran the gamut to a fully race prepped 900rr, to nearly dying on a Gsxr750. Did I mention how many were stolen? I hate thieves!

I'm too young to have a midlife crisis, but not having a motorcycle license started to be an itch I couldn't tolerate any longer so I repassed here in Belgium. Too many responsibilities to be like it was before, but at least that meant I could chase after something I was just as happy looking at in the garage as riding down the road....and practicality didn't matter.

Enter my dreambike, a 2000 SP1 owned by a former Yamaha & KTM suspension instructor in Germany.

Mods:
Power commander
Leo Vince slip inscrit with header wrap
SS lines + wavy rotors
GPR steering damper
Carbon fibre clutch cover, ram air intake, air box, and rear hugger
Brembo master cylinder

The only things left to do:
Dyno tune (feels a bit rich down low)
Get a set of OE. Fairings in the sweet black and grey (when am I ever going to find a stock gas tank or the 2k to be.bothered)
Race magnesium rims (don't have 3k laying around)
If possible I wouldn't mind a full Hindle hi-mount system....

The former owner was also a triathlete and exactly my size. I never felt a bike with such a flawless suspension setup and (at least for now) can't see the need for Ohlins, but I'm sure many will disagree.

If anyone could point me to the best deals online in Europe for gear and parts I'd appreciate it.

All the best, Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_125118_1496004858615.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	116953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_124848_1496004897516.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	116961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_125000_1496004927467.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	116969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_124903_1496005001115.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	116985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_124920_1496005027752.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	116993  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

And some more photos ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170528_125036_1496005098883.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	117001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_125059_1496005120713.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	117009  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
welcome aboard. you'll recognize my name from 600rr.net

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Don't I see Ohlins already ... on the rear anyway?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapolator View Post
Don't I see Ohlins already ... on the rear anyway?
No sticker at least ? and the guy said it's stock suspension. But you guys would know better than me....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170529_064015_1496032927086.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	117057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170529_064005_1496032951831.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	117065  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Welcome aboard, bike has some nice goodies on it.

Now tell us about that death defying story with your old 750...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Sato Banzai exhaust
-PC III USB -Clear Stompgrips
-HRC carbon fiber tank pad & solo cowl
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post

Now tell us about that death defying story with your old 750...
It's a long story....in short it is how chance can quickly humble an arrogant young guy rather quickly. Bike number 5, roughly 100k miles of riding under my belt. New bike, 21st birthday, fresh back from vacation and celebrating with family.

Got a work call to drive from Orlando to Miami on a beautiful morning and figured why not take the new bike instead of the gas guzzler truck.

One idiot driver, two used up Pirelli race tires, a moments distraction as i checked my blind spot after passing, a handful too much brake, and it was all she wrote. 70 mph into a trailer doing 20-30.

Right leg almost cutoff at the hip from hitting the trailer, left femur compound spiral fractured removing parts of my quad. All the rest was 'secondary' injuries: collapsed lung, broken ribs, shoulders, hands, feet worn down to the Bone, nerve & brain damage.

The next 4 weeks was a living hell of surgery after surgery continuously opening the same wounds to battle a blood infection from the shattered leg. I ripped Staples out trying to stand up the first week when I realized they wanted to amputate. They said being a triathlete was the only thing that saved me...but surgery 6 is where I gave up. Crying at my dad until they finally found a pain killer that worked, one that worked a little too well.

I never thought I would wreck seriously. I never thought I'd willingly give up life. I never thought a moment could completely change your life. I'll never be a competitive triathlete, but I still remember that hospital bed, and can't believe that God or luck or whatever you call it, saved me and even saw fit to make me a husband and a father, let alone all the other amazing experiences I have had since.

Be safe everyone, be aware of what you are putting on the line. I know it's a passion, and life isn't worth living without passion. But everything should be balanced, and motorcycles are just one passion amongst many for me. I suspect I'll soon be like the older guys I used to respect and strictly be a track rider. I still can't believe of all the stupid things I did, how innocent the accident was...and how easily it could happen again. But of course no one ever thinks it will be them.

All the best,

Rob
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
That's a tough story to imagine.

Glad you lived through it and came out smiling on the other side. Good for you, becoming a father with another on the way. These tiny humans change out lives forever the day they're born, often in the best ways. A different chapter, but as we're finding - they grow up so fast! In another 10 years our daughter will be an adult. We wonder how fast the first 8 years went. Blink and we miss the special moments...

Your story is a reminder to us all: Never, ever ride beyond one's abilities on the road, treat all other road users as a potential danger and above all, never panic on a bike in a given situation.

Ride safe & enjoy!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

A thing like that you analyze over and over....it was the highway and fresh back from vacation so I was totally relaxed....not speeding... or riding above my limits. Just noticed on my return leg that the Pirelli Diablos were worn enough to need replacing, always felt they were 'greasy' at street temps.

My two learning lessons were to never take the eye off the road (you shouldn't ever NEED to check your blind spot) and indeed the danger of panic braking. Once the front tire broke loose I was toast....ABS is/was a serious consideration for me and something I'd like to have in the near future.

I can't wait for Papa to have a little girl I can only pretend to be able to imagine what it's like to have one grow up on you.

Rob
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
I'm sure you've thought about it countless times and agonized on "what if I'd reacted differently?" Not sure how this might seem to you, but thought I'd share what I know and what's saved me several times.

I'm not one for wanting a bike with ABS (not sure I'll ever get a bike again more powerful than the SP2, really), but can see the attractions of ABS or even traction control on 2 wheels...

I had a crazy driver do an emergency stop in front of the SP2 late one night on a dry highway some years ago (when I still had standard brakes), with the intention of causing an accident.
The back wheel came off the ground, but the front didn't lock up. No drama there.

I don't know if the effects have worn off (probably!), but when I was younger and riding daily in the UK I used to practice emergency stops (though I used to check behind first) & tipping the bike fast into corners, even when changing lanes (Rather than gently leaning it into a manouvere) & did this at most opportunities when I would remember, so that in a given situation where I'd have to avoid something suddenly, I'd instinctively know how much to pull on the brakes & not panic and lock them up.
I still do these things from time to time. We need to be absolutely comfortable with braking as hard as necessary, but stay in control to remain safe.

In spite of this I did manage to lock up the front on my VFR (it had 6 pot calipers, which didn't really help!) on a few occasions when I was younger (we're talking 24 years ago, when I suddenly discovered a car stopped in the middle of a highway slip road in heavy rain at around 60 mph, a few days after I'd bought it for example).

Time spent as a teenager, riding on sand & dirt paid off for me back then it would seem, as fortunately what I learnt on my first bike, a Yamaha DT175 to stop a front end washing out saved me each time on larger bikes, albeit at sensible-ish road speeds.

Letting off the brakes when the front first locks, then immediately re-applying progressively, whilst stamping on the ground to remain upright just as the bike began to slide out, lead to an untidy wobble in each case, but I didn't go down. With that stationary car, I was able to let go & steer the bike to avoid the car whilst considering the slippery conditions.
Doesn't mean these technique would always work, but something worth developing, preferably off road.

Fortunately I've never locked up the SP2's front brakes. Good brakes with progressive feel are worth investing in, but most would agree the RC51's brakes are some of the best on bikes of that era. Improvement to feel can be made by fitting say a 19 x 18mm RCS Brembo master cylinder & braided lines. I'd not bother with upgrading the rotors to wavy ones, unless investing in Braketech discs or better. Lesser discs can warp if you brake hard regularly...

We're blessed with a girl & a boy, who get on well with one another (most of the time) & play together a lot. It's lovely being a papa indeed.
As you have a son, perhaps someday introduce him to bikes early so he polishes his skills well. Off road riding with protective gear on, is the best way to learn safely. Something you can do with him too if you also buy a cheap off-road bike to accompany him (& later - her too!) perhaps...
DannyBoy likes this.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 05-30-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode