RC51 Forums banner

Rotella t

12K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  extrapolator 
#1 ·
I've heard great things about this oil. Is there a write up on here that I'm not seeing?

#2 ·
I use Rotella T6. I've never had a problem. I can't tell you the technical aspects of oil because I don't know anything. I just know that a lot of people use it for their motorcycle and have great results.

Changing your oil on a regular basis is more important than getting into Brand A vs Brand B debates. My tuner(and racer) actually says that 3000 miles between (synthetic) oil changes is too often. He says 5000 miles in between is completely fine.

#4 ·
Thanks. I was looking at Honda gn4 and then I went on the web and searched. There were a lot of good things said about rotella t.

#3 ·
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17969&highlight=rotella+oil
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8555&highlight=rotella+oil
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2713&highlight=rotella+oil
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92&highlight=rotella+oil
Here are a few write ups, personally i like the synthetic Mobil 1, Repsol, and Honda oil for my bike. It's a little more expensive than the Rotella but it ain't gona break the bank to buy some higher end oil for my bike every 2-3k miles. The bigger thing is just don't run a fram filter.

#8 ·
I put Rotella t 15-40 in it today. It rides great. Shifts heavy though. First gear clunks. It did that before the oil change. Seems strange.

#9 ·
Do not use the pure one filters. Even purolator recommends against using them for motorcycle applications. if the MFG says don't do it, then I'm not going to take the chance.

I used to use the purolator filters as they could be had on Amazon for like $4 each. now they are up to $8 or so. Still cheaper than the $14 I remember paying at the stealership for an OEM one. I am going to start using Amsoil 10-40 and filter in the RC. Filter and a gallon of oil will run about $50.

For my CBR, i used to use Repsol, then switched to the full synthetic 5w-40 Rotella T-6. I noticed 3mpg improvement, a smoother running bike, and better shifting. at half the cost of the Repsol, it was a no brainer to keep using the stuff. I'd use it in the RC too, but the 5 weight has me a bit worried with the piston size and heat that the engine generates. if I knew I'd have nothing to worry about, I'd use it as it is half the cost of pretty much anything else out there.

#10 ·
Mike, here is a good read it has been posted a few times.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

It covers the Pure-one disclaimer. Mobile one also recommends its branded Chinese oil filters for motorcycles.

At the moment I am running Redline Oil and a Pure one filter on the RC. I like Redline and consider it one of the best oils available, it is just expensive. In my 919 I run either mobile one or Rotella T6 and a Mobile one M110 filter, because it is black. To me there is little difference between the pure one and the mobile one filters. I just use the one that is the cheapest at the time. I have 32K on the 919 and 14K on the RC.

If you have any doubts then use what you think is best for your situation.

#12 ·
just thought I'd give an update, Rotella T is working Great. I've gone through two oil chanEs with K&N filters. I've put about 6000 miles on the bike with the oil changes and I'm about to do another one

#14 ·
Tangent: the filter

The thing about oil filters is this: the bypass valve must pop-off at the correct psi. In other words, if you have a filter that gets plugged, the bypass valve (if it even has one-depends on the brand and construction), must allow straight thru flow in the event the filtering media gets too clogged to allow sufficient flow.
Different filters have different pop-off rates, and different dimensions of surface area and thickness of media. The quality of construction also varies, as well as the reliability of the bypass valve to pop off at the correct rate.

Bottom line, don't experiment with filters.
Personally, I ONLY use Mobile-1 M110, or the OEM filter from Honda.
If I had the inclination to research other filters for their specs, maybe there are other cheaper filters to get the job done. But what if I chose a cheap filter that, say, has sloppy tolerances for the bypass pressure valve? I would never know it, and the oil wouldn't be getting filtered and cleaned properly. Or maybe the filtering media area is small or loose, allowing too much dirt or other contaminates through? While enjoying the bliss of saving a few bucks on a filter, the engine is paying a small but steady price.

As far as what engine oil is the best- I think the expensive name brands (Amsoil, Honda HP4S, Repsol, Mobil-1 4T, Castrol, etc.) have their advantages, and better protection in hard to extreme use. But ultimately, the best oil is most any engine oil that's clean and within OEM spec.

Most of this is my opinion after reading the last hundred or so oil threads, and many good websites explaining everything lubrication.
Anyone have differing opinions?

#15 · (Edited)
OH, Hell another Oil thread ! ! How I love these.....:D

Do you think the engine REALLY can tell the difference??? As long as the engine is LUBRICATED, and the oil is kept clean (Honda filter). She will survive.:rolleyes: 3000 mile oil and filter change

Rotella 15w40 in the Acura Integra
"same" in the Toyota Tundra

Bikes -Motul 300V

#22 ·
LOL, I just did an oil change on the CBR600. Getting it ready for sale. Thought I would ride it, but since I got my RC last June, I've ridden it once. Only start it up every week or so and let it run so everything gets lubricated.

Anyway, been using 5w-40 since 29,000 miles and it has 49,500 now. Just put in a fresh gallon along with a bosch oil filter. Now to sneak it up to the car wash without the police pulling me over for expired tags.

#23 · (Edited)
I am by no means an expert on oil but I will give my experience...

In ALL of my sport bikes (and I have owned MANY), and frankly all of my club members sport bikes that I service for them, I run Rotella T6 5/40 diesel oil. Never had an issue in probably close to 50K miles on my own and collectively about 100K on others that I service regularly.

My 84 V65 Magna likes the Rotella T6 as well. It is a cruiser but with, essentially, a sportbike V4 motor similar to that of the interceptor. These motors are NOTORIOUS for oiling issues on the cams but I have run T6 in her since I got it at 50K and just turned 70K on it 2 days ago and she sees redline and the rev limiter on a regular basis. Cams look good as new on last valve check.

I am a die-hard mobil one fan in my truck and cars but the motorcycle oil has become so damn expensive.

I use Purolator filters and have never had a single problem with them. They are cheap enough and I replace them with every oil change and I can get them locally which is a plus.

Only bike I never used rotella in was my 2008 MV Agusta Brutale and that is because it required a special, and very expensive 10W-60.

- Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.