RC51 Forums banner

Bottom line me please!!!

12K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Dutchy 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, we have an entire section devoted to oil, I see so many different reasons/thoughts My head is spinning.

Bottom line, I am in Southern California, desert, hot. What is THE best protection for me?

#4 ·
So for the less experienced (such as myself)...why 15w-50 over 10w-40? Does it provide better protection at the higher heats because of the higher viscosity?

#5 ·
High heat all the time a little thicker is always mo betta'. At Barber and Road Atlanta where the ambient temp always seemed to hover around 100*° at 200% humidity and I always ran 20W-50 in the old pig when it was track only and used it most of the time for street duty too in the stifling heat of Memphis.

I cannot swear to it, but I bet the owners manual has a chart in there showing the temp ranges and acceptable viscosity for them.

#7 ·
My weather and activity, I use Castrol 10W40. The 20W50 is for the warmer climates.

My change interval is about 1,800 ~ 2,200 miles, depending on how hard I ride and clutch feel.

#9 ·
Im no expert, but I feel rotella is exceptional for all general purpose machinery, and I use it as such. But for track use, where the bike is basically full throttle all the time I do prefer the motul it is exceptional and the price reflects it, and it might just be piece of mind but for extreme use oil is cheaper than the metal it protects. And I ditto the viscosity preferences above.

#15 · (Edited)
I am no expert, but from my basic point of view something that should be considered is film strength. I have researched car oils before, and I know bike oils are different so take this with a grain of salt. In my turbo car I like to run Royal Purple. One: I change the oil every 3000 miles, synthetic or not, my oil is the life blood of that engine and I don't plan on coking my turbo. Two: I want good film strength for the high RPM's. I have ran other oils with little to no difference but I am speaking from a scientific, lab tested point of view. I would assume that our bikes need the same ideas as a high reving race car. That being said, I have never seen actual tests done on bike oil. I have always ran Mobil 1 in my bikes because I trust the company, but I really have nothing to back that up...I am a bad bad biker :(

On a side note, I have tore down and rebuilt my turbo engines many many times and can tell you that there is a huge difference in the engines I added Lucas oil treatment to (the one in the bottle that looks like gear oil) and the engines that did not have installed. Could our bikes use that as well?

#21 ·
Lol! You can tell how bored I am around here, waiting for some riding weather!

#22 ·
Case of 12 quarts Ten Bucks cheaper on Amazon.

#25 ·
Like that shoulder patch, Dutchy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.