RC51 Forums banner

Airbox Volume

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Lycon86 
#1 ·
Hey. Does anyone know the volume of the standard SP-1 airbox?

#3 ·
The reason I ask is, I've done the known mod to the standard airbox, and I've measured the volume at just over 8lt. So was wondering what the standard is for comparison.
Next thing is to Dyno it. Before mod was 127hp. be interesting to see what its like after I fit this airbox

#5 ·
It is the standard airbox. Just modified slightly. Also engine isn't standard, it's blueprinted. Not hot cams and high compression positions, I know. This is why I didn't get a race airbox, I.e moriwaki.
Anyway. The dyno will be the judge of whether it's a worthwhile modification.

#6 ·
Minor modifications like that are rarely perceived on a dyno. You have to get a dyno operator that is absolutely meticulous about how they make the runs and doing enough runs to see the power fall off to get the best runs of the lot etc. It is not as simple as just doing a couple dyno pulls to see the results.

Ambient variations and engine temp fluctuations alone can cause more disparity from one dyno run to another in back to back testing than the changes from modifying stock parts like airboxes. The chances of getting a conclusive result for what you are talking about is pretty much nil.

#7 ·
Not in my experience. Ambient temp and operating temp are all noted and used as control. As the power on most bike engines tends to suffer, at anything anything over 85 degrees C. I've seen power gains as high as 15bhp from blue printing, intake and exhaust modifications. So I'm afraid I disagree with you saying this is pointless. Like I said. I'll post results when I get round to it.

#9 ·
Yup. I realise that. why stop there? If I was going to do it right I'd also put some decent rods in and fit a Nova transmission? But I haven't got the spare cash for that and as I said before I'm doing what I can to a standard bike. And I have seen power gains. Nothing stellar. But it's something. Otherwise why bother doing anything, unless you want to throw 4 figures at it?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.