Bike won't start - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Models > 2000-2001 RC51 SP1

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
GISH

Default Bike won't start

Thursday evening as I rode home my bike started hesitating and stumbling. I headed for the shoulder and came to a stop. As I rolled to a stop, the bike died. I tried to start it, but nothing. Turned the key off, waited a few seconds and tried again. When I turned the key on the trip meter had reset to zero. Bike never would restart. I'm thinking it's the battery because it has given me problems before.......

Yesterday, I went out and bought a new battery. Bike still wouldn't start. I checked the battery and it was reading a bit low on the volts so I let it charge up over night.......

This morning I go out and the bike still won't start! I swapped batteries with my cousin's bike (YZF600R). My battery will start his bike, but his will not start mine. I completely removed my battery, and hooked my bike up to my truck via jumper cables. Still won't start.

I can hear the pump kick on when I turn the key, everything seems to be in order. I've checked what fuses I can find. The bike will crank over, but it's slow and labored. Doesn't matter which battery source I use. Cranks the same no matter what. Bike has run like a champ till now.

Any ideas???
GISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
madbuyer
Lifetime Premium

Inside the start/kill switch, take it apart and make sure the wires are attached. I have had a wire pop off (Solder corrosion) and have this same issue.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
GISH

Thanks, I'll give it a look.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
SubSailor

You're saying that with a fresh battery the engine is not cranking at expected speed?
I'd check your ground wire connection on the right frame area.
You've already tried swapping batteries, so the battery connections should already be tight.

Does your instrument panel (actually ECU) go through the self check when the key is switched on?
If not, check the 30A fuse to the ECU.
For SP2s, it's the fuse holder that's clipped to the battery box cover.

With the engine kill switch off or not working properly, the engine will still crank over, but the fuel pump won't prime when the ignition switch is switched on.
(I make use of this during oil changes to circulate oil through the new oil filter before starting).
SubSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
GISH

Update:

I wondered if I had fouled/flooded it with all the cranking. So I got new plugs today. (old plugs were dark and dirty, but dry.) I also allowed the cylinders to dry out. New plugs, battery fresh off the charger.........

She will pop and act as if she wants to start, but won't. Just an initial little light is all. I tried giving a bit of gas. No difference. I tried disconnecting my PC, no difference.

Still stumped??

Sub- Yes originally, it was cranking slower than usual even with a strong battery. Now it seems to be better. Instrument panel does its thing when the key is switched on. I checked the inside of the kill switch. Everything appears to be proper. I can hear the pump kick on if I flip the kill switch off/on.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
GISH

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an idiot.......

Sometimes the Lord reminds me how dumb I am just so I won't forget.

Apparently, the bike was out of fuel. :facepalm: In my defence, the fuel light never cam on. I will now begin researching that culprit. Never noticed how light the tank was until the fuel pump started sounding weird (like there was no fuel to prime). However, my bike now has a new battery and new plugs, so it's not a total loss.

Rechecked my charging system. 14.40 volts @ 2500 rpm so I guess my battery was finally shot after all.

Thanks for all the help guys. I feel like a fool........
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
SubSailor

Glad to hear all turned out well.
SubSailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #8
madbuyer
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISH View Post
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an idiot.......

Sometimes the Lord reminds me how dumb I am just so I won't forget.
The other idiot light didn't work...its not you.

And don't worry, that red mark on your forehead will go away, trust me on that one
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Rugid

You could always throw a bottle of NOS in there. Heard that from a gixxer guy Sposed to add like 10 whp.

Legal Disclaimer: This is a joke DO NOT DO IT ANYONE
Rugid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
GISH

Update:

Went out for a ride. Everything is great except for one thing. Trip meter keeps resetting every time I shut the bike off. Research shows me that this is usually contributed to a low battery. Being a brand new battery, I would hope that's not the case. However, I threw the volt meter on it and here's what I got....

Key off-12.91v
Key on-12.63v
Starting-11.57v

So my question is, What's considered a low battery threshold for the trip meter to retain memory?? Anyone know?? Those readings are after several attempts and tests. the 11.57v is just for a split second while the starter kicks over. It then jumps back up in the 12's. I also read that the grey pin connector by the left headlight can sometimes get corroded and reduce current. Haven't checked that. Everything was spotless before this battery issued developed.

Sorry for rambling, thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement