2000 RC-51 Stalling issue HELP!?!?!?!?! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Models > 2000-2001 RC51 SP1

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #1
dragonhrt32

Default 2000 RC-51 Stalling issue HELP!?!?!?!?!

I have a rc that the other day i was on the freeway and it cut out (motor stopped running), tried to bump starts.. no go... had to turn the bike off then back on and it ran for a few miles before it did it again.... it did this 3 times and it only seems to do it after running for longer periods of time.. any ideas???
dragonhrt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
jondog9
Premium Member

Was it a little hard to get started, or did it just snap right back up?
If it feels like a fuel thing, I'm guessing you need to check the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
More symptoms would be helpful.
John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
dragonhrt32

so as far as the starting ... no it does not start very eazy at all.. takes a few cranks and sometimes i got to turn it off and back on to get it to start... as far as more symptoms it only does it at a high opp. temp.. and usually happens to me when cruzin at an rpm of around 3000-3500... i have been cruzin at 4000-5000 rpm and seems to happen less if not at all.. i think you may be right on the FPR jondog9... what other info would you like?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
madbuyer
Lifetime Premium

FPR is what it sounds like....I would also check your electrical connections and put a dab of dielectric grease in them with a cotton swab. Corrosion starts to show its head on some of the earlier bikes...probably worse if you are around salty air.

Ground connection loose was an early guess for me until you stated the it stall at higher temperatures.

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service is the service manual since I am handing it out....
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
dragonhrt32

sweet thanks madbuyer... i do have the serv. manual i will look that up.. everything that i came down to would be the FI or a falty wire.. since i pulled off all the plastics and the wires looked all good... i touched up with some electric tape on some and just cleaned things up a bit... that being said i havn't looked at the manual yet but is there a fuse for the lights and dash.. i was trying to get my break light to work and now there is no power to the tail connectors to hook up the fender eliminator kit... i sure hope so.. if not then what could have cut out the power to my turn signals and tail light but not the head light... the more i get into this bike it seems the more the last owner didn't know what he was doing ...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
madbuyer
Lifetime Premium

Check the fuse box on the left side of the bike...you should be able to see it if the fairings are off....they are labeled fairly well.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
jondog9
Premium Member

I bet it's the FPR. It's such a common thing for any of our FI honda's.
Raise the gas tank, locate the FPR, pull the vacuum hose off, and see if there's any sign of gas. With the hose off, you can turn on the key and as the fuel pump primes, you will see signs of gasoline dripping or squirting. In your case, I bet the leak will be minor, and will take the pressure of the fuel pump as it primes to show a drip. That richens your a/f mixture, giving you the symptoms you mentioned. Restarting after a stall gave me symptoms of a flooded engine both times it happened to 2 of my Hondas
John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
dragonhrt32

Thanks ... i will check the fuse box... as well as the breather tube... sounds like i could test the problem with my power commander by taking and making the tune a little leaner so that the problem would go away?? and if so then it is the FPR.. which it most likely is.. Does anyone have a great site to get parts on for cheep?? if so can you pass them along.. or point me in their direction.. Thanks y'all and can't wait to hit the canyons of SoCal!!!! hope to see you out there!!!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
dragonhrt32

Okay so there was gas in the breather tube line so it is the FPR.. thanks... now the next problem i have is no brake light... when i got it the break light didn't work but all the other lights did... it has a fender under-tail/fender eliminator kit with LED lights and the Turn signals are in there as well... there are two white wires that i followed to the stock clip that one orange and one blue.. both containing a like color to the clip and a green wire...(this is the ground for the turn signals?)... then the blue wire off the tail light had two wires coming off it going into what looked like the stock clips for the stock tail light...then the brown did the same thing as well as the black... as far as the green wires that came from the colored clips they were cut and not connected... should this be running to the black wire on the tail section as well as the green wires on the stock tail light clips?? is there a way to not keep blowing the fuses as well to test this.. i think i may have blown the sensor switch on the front break.. which is the only break switch that worked due to the after market foot controls... i think the switch is blown because i can't hear the click of the switch even after replacing the fuse.... i hope it's not to costly..

Last edited by dragonhrt32; 11-28-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: add details
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
dragonhrt32

Default Shit still going down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I bet it's the FPR. It's such a common thing for any of our FI honda's.
Raise the gas tank, locate the FPR, pull the vacuum hose off, and see if there's any sign of gas. With the hose off, you can turn on the key and as the fuel pump primes, you will see signs of gasoline dripping or squirting. In your case, I bet the leak will be minor, and will take the pressure of the fuel pump as it primes to show a drip. That richens your a/f mixture, giving you the symptoms you mentioned. Restarting after a stall gave me symptoms of a flooded engine both times it happened to 2 of my Hondas
So i changed the FPR and the problem stopped happening for a while... then the other day i was out on a ride and it happened again... so what other problem do you think this could be... do you think it needs a valve job... new spark plugs?? or could it be just a weak spark so could need something replaced in the electronics... also do you know if the high beams turns on and off yet my turn signals don't work that would mean the switch is bad or just a loose wire??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement