RC51 Forums banner

Has a bike ever scared you?

9K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Mach Rider 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got to vote for the Triumph Rocket III, the first time I pinned the throttle I almost lost grip of the handle bars, I simply wasn't expecting that much torque.

Edit: Can a mod please move this to the motorcycle lounge, mis-clicked.

#2 ·
as much fun as it is to ride you always have to have a little fear in you when you go out... that way it keeps your awareness up and you dont get cocky or stupid

#3 · (Edited)
Well what kills me is these people who 'stunt' on the street. I guess I just don't understand it, I'm not going to sit here and say these people are stupid, but in the same respect if they ran into me or hurt somebody else, they deserve what's coming to them.

But to the point, at first it was scary as hell when somebody would merge into your lane without seeing you, keeping an eye out and wondering if that person is going to pull out from the side street and straight in front of you, checking to make sure nobody is going to run a light or stop sign and slam into you. I mean these are all things, I will agree, you worry about when you're out on a bike. But the point of the thread was bikes that scare you, not really the people in their 8,000lb F550s trying to make the light (I just figure that's a given).

#4 ·
The year before I moved here to Texas, I traded my 06 GSXR600 to a guy for his 06 ZX10R. My bike was in excellent condition, with low miles. His was in good condition. He traded because he wanted a smaller bike. This wasn't my first litre bike..... as a matter of fact, I traded an 04 R1 for the 06 GSXR600.
So while riding one day, I went to change lanes on the highway while in 3rd gear... okay, I thought I was in third, secretly I was in 2nd. I was doing about 70mph. Looked back to make sure it was clear, pinned the throttle (while still looking back), and next thing I know, I am going down the highway with the front end lofted high in the air.... the gearing had been changed to -1+1 by the previous owner..... needless to say I almost crapped my pants. This was not my first wheelie, nor was it my first accidental wheelie with that bike. After that incident, I decided I was through with liter bike's (not including the Twin's). So I sold it, bought a GSXR750, stripped it down and gave up street riding and made it a track bike. Well that lasted a year or so... then I bought my Busa. Much more tame bike than the 1K's. Also much better for two-up riding with my wife, or daughters. I am now sworn off liter bike's. Not that I am afraid of them, but just don't need that much power in that type of bike.

Mo

#5 ·
most scary bike

at one point i made some articles for a european bike magazine, and we tested some bikes on the highway, i gave chase on my sportsbike mounted mates....on a yamaha TDM800, when ever the road twisted oh so sligthly, the yam wobbeled and weaved, it was like it was trying to tie a knot on it self, i got off the bike, thinking that the suspension was mis-adjusted or something, but it was set op right, then i thougth that somthing was coming loose, ie a wheel axel or so, but no....the bike was just so bad that it was feeling like the frame and reardamper was made out of chokolade....and when the SUzuki SV1000 came out, i think it was in 2004??? do you have that peice of crap over here?? well the bike was sort of ok...not brilliant..or deadly bad as the TL´s(wich can´t hold a line even if it life depended on it), but when we did some photoshoots two up, the bike transformed into a big peice of jelly, when changing lanes it wobbled all over the place and took long time to stabilize again, you need to change the reardamper with one from a gsxr on that bike, good engine but awfull suspension

the SUzuki people and the yam guys wasn´t so please over my articles:)

cheers

IV

#7 ·
I don't think I've had a bike scare me (yet), but the circumstances have.
I was with a couple of buddies who were on their 600's and I was on my 'Busa riding through the countryside.
The 'Busa is a nice bike, but definitely not as agile as a 600 through tight twisties.
Well my buddies had built up a sizable lead on me through the turns, but once the road opened up I decided to go into hyper drive on the 'Busa an catch up.
So I had the throttles opened up quite a bit and was going about 160 MPH when the road showed a left hand kink I was familiar with.
So I slowed down a bit to make the kink and as I rounded the kink I noticed that my buddy in the rear had slowed down dramatically (around 40 MPH).
I knew I couldn't slow down in time, so I said a silent prayer that no one was coming in the opposite lane (not too much traffic in the country) and kept left and passed my buddy at about 140 MPH, scaring the hell out him in the process.
I rolled out of the throttles to about 120 when at the next kink my other buddy was doing likewise (like WTF?).
So I passed him on left at about 120 MPH while I was coasting down.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

#8 ·
Me and my best friend he was on his ZX-11 I was on my 929 were riding south on I94 all of a sudden we heard a horn and a blue labo then it took off so we chased caught up and the race was on. we were racing for about 10 miles or so I got scared when I looked at my dash and seen that I was 198+ and by best friend and the lambo was at least 2 cars a head.

Wasent the speed that scared me but the fact that we were weaving in and out of traffic on the high way.

never knew who was in the lambo but he smoked our arse.

#13 ·
Alright, seeing as you haven't replied in two days I'm going to assume you wont respond at all. Weaving in and out of traffic is STUPID and DANGEROUS in the first place, not just for you but anybody else on the road that feels they need to avoid you, that or any other cars or motorcycles you will run into if you go down. 100mph isn't stupid in a lot of cars or on a lot of bikes under a few conditions, you're smart about it and the vehicle can maintain these speeds with ease.

You didn't have this race, you probably just saw one driving around and thought it would be a cool story. Following a few of your previous posts I even wonder if you have a bike, let alone are old enough to ride anything larger than a scooter.

#16 ·
The 1999 Hayabusa (pre-restriction) could only do 193 MPH in speed tests.
Wind resistance dramatically increases with speed.
The amount of power needed to attain 200 MPH (much less exceed it) is far more than what it takes to attain 160 or 180 MPH.
The 990 MotoGP bikes could do 217 MPH, but it took 240 to 260 HP to get there.
The 800 MotoGP bikes with 220 HP can do around 209 on a long straight.
So I'd say somebody's speedo is way off.

#24 ·
I'll agree with 5.4, take your last shot in public if you want, after that we can move to PMs if you really want, but I'm guessing it will end here if you want the last jab.

On a side note while we're completely off topic anyway, 5.4, is that 5.4 as in Fords modular engine or does it have another meaning?

#25 ·
Hmmmm....several scary moments on different bikes:

1991 GSXR 750L, I took a corner on a country road WAY too fast for either mine or the bikes ability, just managed to get her round with the tyres just kissing the edge of the tarmac. Think I pootled off at around 30mph after that :)

1998 R6, out of all my bikes I found this one scared me most on lots of occasions! If the road was anything less than Pool table smooth, it would tank slap from hell, and try and spit me off into the nearest bush! Needles to say I didnt have this bike long! That said, it was prob one of the best handling bikes (on the right roads!) that I have owned to date.

RGV 250, one mental little bike this! Just made you feel you can corner faster than you actually can, which resulted in a few close calls.

1993 FireBlade.......leaving the dealership a bit enthusiastically and discovering why the 16" front end has such a reputation lol :eek:

Sure there are loads of other scary moments I've had but these top my list......reading it back, makes me sound like a right girl (no offence ladies!)

Aircooled/analyticworm:

For the record, on my own modified 929 'Blade, I maxed out at an indicated 181mph on standard gearing. Mods were: Power Commander with bespoke map, full titanium conical Akra exhaust system and K&N filters :)

#29 ·
Scare #1 Riding any KH750 tripple, shit brakes, 0 to warp speed in not much time at all, and a frame as strong and flexable as a gummy bear.
Scare #2 Ever hit a deer at 60mph? I was riding down a loca road on my RC51 and I hit a deer that jumped out on me. The front end was toast, the lights were gone, the fairings gone, speedo gone, screen gone, and indicators, only saving grace was I stayed on and did'nt drop it, how I dont know, 10 yrs of motorcross helped I think. There were two largish holes in what was left of the fairing, where the antlers punctured the plastic, 9 inches higher and that would of been my chest!!!
I swear hitting a deer at 60 makes an odd noise.
Scare #3 My RC51's abiltity to remind me that my riding skill an confidance level in no way matches is own capability, but keeps me comming back for more!!

#35 ·
A Pascal Picote race GSXR 1000 the thing was a beast almost took my arms off but put a smile on my face the whole time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.