Has a bike ever scared you? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has a bike ever scared you?

I've got to vote for the Triumph Rocket III, the first time I pinned the throttle I almost lost grip of the handle bars, I simply wasn't expecting that much torque.

Edit: Can a mod please move this to the motorcycle lounge, mis-clicked.

Last edited by Aircooled; 02-25-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 PM

as much fun as it is to ride you always have to have a little fear in you when you go out... that way it keeps your awareness up and you dont get cocky or stupid
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Well what kills me is these people who 'stunt' on the street. I guess I just don't understand it, I'm not going to sit here and say these people are stupid, but in the same respect if they ran into me or hurt somebody else, they deserve what's coming to them.

But to the point, at first it was scary as hell when somebody would merge into your lane without seeing you, keeping an eye out and wondering if that person is going to pull out from the side street and straight in front of you, checking to make sure nobody is going to run a light or stop sign and slam into you. I mean these are all things, I will agree, you worry about when you're out on a bike. But the point of the thread was bikes that scare you, not really the people in their 8,000lb F550s trying to make the light (I just figure that's a given).

Last edited by Aircooled; 02-25-2010 at 10:49 PM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 PM

The year before I moved here to Texas, I traded my 06 GSXR600 to a guy for his 06 ZX10R. My bike was in excellent condition, with low miles. His was in good condition. He traded because he wanted a smaller bike. This wasn't my first litre bike..... as a matter of fact, I traded an 04 R1 for the 06 GSXR600.
So while riding one day, I went to change lanes on the highway while in 3rd gear... okay, I thought I was in third, secretly I was in 2nd. I was doing about 70mph. Looked back to make sure it was clear, pinned the throttle (while still looking back), and next thing I know, I am going down the highway with the front end lofted high in the air.... the gearing had been changed to -1+1 by the previous owner..... needless to say I almost crapped my pants. This was not my first wheelie, nor was it my first accidental wheelie with that bike. After that incident, I decided I was through with liter bike's (not including the Twin's). So I sold it, bought a GSXR750, stripped it down and gave up street riding and made it a track bike. Well that lasted a year or so... then I bought my Busa. Much more tame bike than the 1K's. Also much better for two-up riding with my wife, or daughters. I am now sworn off liter bike's. Not that I am afraid of them, but just don't need that much power in that type of bike.

Mo
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:56 AM

most scary bike

at one point i made some articles for a european bike magazine, and we tested some bikes on the highway, i gave chase on my sportsbike mounted mates....on a yamaha TDM800, when ever the road twisted oh so sligthly, the yam wobbeled and weaved, it was like it was trying to tie a knot on it self, i got off the bike, thinking that the suspension was mis-adjusted or something, but it was set op right, then i thougth that somthing was coming loose, ie a wheel axel or so, but no....the bike was just so bad that it was feeling like the frame and reardamper was made out of chokolade....and when the SUzuki SV1000 came out, i think it was in 2004??? do you have that peice of crap over here?? well the bike was sort of ok...not brilliant..or deadly bad as the TLīs(wich canīt hold a line even if it life depended on it), but when we did some photoshoots two up, the bike transformed into a big peice of jelly, when changing lanes it wobbled all over the place and took long time to stabilize again, you need to change the reardamper with one from a gsxr on that bike, good engine but awfull suspension

the SUzuki people and the yam guys wasnīt so please over my articles

cheers

IV
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Old & Slow Admin

The Muzzy 850 Raptor scared the shit out of me. 1st time I got to ride it (it was my friends) was at Daytona during one of the practice seesions at the CCS ROC. Coming off a 70hp Hawk, this 850 was just so fuggin scary rippin around Daytona's banking.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I don't think I've had a bike scare me (yet), but the circumstances have.
I was with a couple of buddies who were on their 600's and I was on my 'Busa riding through the countryside.
The 'Busa is a nice bike, but definitely not as agile as a 600 through tight twisties.
Well my buddies had built up a sizable lead on me through the turns, but once the road opened up I decided to go into hyper drive on the 'Busa an catch up.
So I had the throttles opened up quite a bit and was going about 160 MPH when the road showed a left hand kink I was familiar with.
So I slowed down a bit to make the kink and as I rounded the kink I noticed that my buddy in the rear had slowed down dramatically (around 40 MPH).
I knew I couldn't slow down in time, so I said a silent prayer that no one was coming in the opposite lane (not too much traffic in the country) and kept left and passed my buddy at about 140 MPH, scaring the hell out him in the process.
I rolled out of the throttles to about 120 when at the next kink my other buddy was doing likewise (like WTF?).
So I passed him on left at about 120 MPH while I was coasting down.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Me and my best friend he was on his ZX-11 I was on my 929 were riding south on I94 all of a sudden we heard a horn and a blue labo then it took off so we chased caught up and the race was on. we were racing for about 10 miles or so I got scared when I looked at my dash and seen that I was 198+ and by best friend and the lambo was at least 2 cars a head.

Wasent the speed that scared me but the fact that we were weaving in and out of traffic on the high way.

never knew who was in the lambo but he smoked our arse.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticworm View Post
Me and my best friend he was on his ZX-11 I was on my 929 were riding south on I94 all of a sudden we heard a horn and a blue labo then it took off so we chased caught up and the race was on. we were racing for about 10 miles or so I got scared when I looked at my dash and seen that I was 198+ and by best friend and the lambo was at least 2 cars a head.

Wasent the speed that scared me but the fact that we were weaving in and out of traffic on the high way.

never knew who was in the lambo but he smoked our arse.
Quoted for multiple levels of idiocy. If you ever have another moment where you feel the need to share such an amazing story, just let it go.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircooled View Post
Quoted for multiple levels of idiocy. If you ever have another moment where you feel the need to share such an amazing story, just let it go.
Bro the majority of everyone on this forum at one point or another has broke 100+ on the highway so no idiocy here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode