Kind of scared after reading other post.. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation Kind of scared after reading other post..

I'm 15 1/2, turn 16 on august 10. I got my motorcycle permit in march or april. The day i got it i jumped onto my dads 83 Honda Goldwing GL 1100. The only thing i knew before i got onto that bike was that down is first gear, up are the rest. I just rode and i was riding with no problem within the first 5 minutes. Almost everyday since then i've been riding that bike. I've never been on a motorcycle or dirtbike or anything prior to that day. Now my dads best friend is selling me a rc51 (i think 2001 so sp-1?) with a 500 dollar helmet, alpine star gloves, joe rocket jacket, also a joe rocket summer jacket, m4 exhaust along with the stock ones too, for $3800 dollars. I'm not into racing and tricks or anything, I just want something that will turn the heads of people and not something like the gold wing where they would laugh at. Any comments, Suggestions? Oh and idk if this means anything but i'm 5"8 or 9, 132 lbs.

Last edited by Newrider; 06-15-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Don't take this personal, but the largest potential problem I see is...you.
Peer pressure is incredibly powerful at your age.
And when the need to impress everyone strikes, the little head starts doing all the thinking as opposed to the big head.
I've seen so many decent bikes thrown down the road because the little head took over.

If you can resist the temptation, then you've got a really nice, not too common, bike to take pride in, and learn to ride really well.
If you can't resist the temptation, then it will turn into another trashed out streetfighter or wadded up heap. Which would be a shame.

I'm not trying to be cruel, it's just we've all been 16 before and know the routine.
Just try to appreciate the machine and take good care of it and not abuse it.
It will be a lot of fun for years to come and add pride of ownership.

Have fun, but keep a level head.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Definately man I feel you, and yes I can indeed resist the temptation. Like i said its just I don't really fit on a goldwing from 83, and i would take any street bike but this bike is only 3800 with all that gear. It takes 1 little mistake and your lifes gone on a motorcycle, I know that. Thanks for the advice, this bike is a beauty I don't even want to take a chance of scratching it in any way lol.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Yeah I bought my first bike when I was 15 and got my license.
That started me on a long journey of bike riding and owning.
The best thing is to get out of the city and head into the country.

Just be careful out there.
Drivers are stupider than ever, and the cops are zero tolerant and total jerks compared to bygone years.

But have fun and stay alive and post some pics of the bike.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I would add to Subsailor please use the big head when riding. I will also suggest taking a MSF course. We are required in the military to take this and then add to it. I have taken the basic, advanced and now waiting for my sportbike course. It will teach you a lot.
I would also suggest getting another bike and get involved in track days to hone your skills. You do not have to race at track days but you do have to ride with in your limits.
The RC is an outstanding bike that does turn plenty of heads including Harley folks.
Please be careful as I don't really want to read about a bright 16 year cutting their life short.

Keep it safe and rubber side down.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of me on the bike. http://tinypic.com/r/mwrw2p/6. I had another question, with the permit i don't need insurance, but if i take the MSF, you automatically get your license AND i will have to pay for ensurance. With the permit i can ride by myself and still drive without having to pay for my ensurance. Does the ensurance for bikes pay for the individual? or the bike itself?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 AM

The RC51 is NOT a first time sportbike! They are like no other sportbike out there! Tempermental and rough around the edges! (in a good way, to us RC owners) An inline 4 would be better for a first sportbike!

Be careful in whatever you decide! Ride the Goldwing for the summer and get used to riding as a whole!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Yeah - I agree with most of this.

A 100+ horsepower, tall, heavy, fully faired superbike is not a good starter or second, or probably third for that matter, bike.

I think the ship has sailed but I recommend you look into something smaller, lighter and shorter to develop basic street skills and confidence. Confidence being the KEY ingredient and control being the second IMHO. The SV 650 being the best bike out there for stuff like this.

It is really hard to develop riding skills and confidence - real confidence - on a bike that you dont have the skills to properly explore the limits of.

To add to SubSailors first post:
-You will drop your first bike. I didn't belive it when I was told....but....
-You will drop your first bike.... It may not be a down the road kind of drop, maybe a slightly off kilter driveway, sand in an intersection, slick lane paint, something stupid like that. For me it was putting the bike on a rear stand, which i had done a dozen times before, and one of the brackets did not line up right and over she went....(Not the RC) If you do something like that it will cost you a small fortune to replace/repair (See point above re: streetfighter).

Take the MSF course...
Take the advanced riding course...

Other than that, be safe and welcome to the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFLGD View Post
The RC51 is NOT a first time sportbike! They are like no other sportbike out there! Tempermental and rough around the edges! (in a good way, to us RC owners) An inline 4 would be better for a first sportbike!

Be careful in whatever you decide! Ride the Goldwing for the summer and get used to riding as a whole!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
As stated above by others, please enroll in a MSF course and do your self a favor and get a beater bike to ride for a least six months, then maybe depending on your skill lelvel and your attitude, get the RC or equivalent. I would hate to see a story in the your local paper about an accident that didn't need to happne.......and a note to your Dad.......what the hell are you thinking....your son with a permit only and giving him the keys to a GOLD WING??????

ARSEY51
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM

you better ride with insurance kid! If you where to hit my vehicle, house etc. with no insurance, my wife would be bailing me out of jail after what i did to ya

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode