Embarrasingly wide chikkin strips...... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking Embarrasingly wide chikkin strips......

After a few weeks of fiddling with the bike (2003 sp2) whilst not patiently waiting, I got my tags tonight, the weather breaks tomorrow so just had to get the first few miles in, unfortunatley evening commuter traffic was a bit of a spoiler.
Running in new tyres, bike still lowered by PO (next job to reset height& fork rebuild with new racetec weight specific springs) managed to stall it twice, but soon got the hang of the clutch bite and revs, think idle needs lifting, running stock sprockets - first gear seems tall. Initial thoughts suspension was too firm but lowering probably does not help, only one blip into higher speeds.
Within the brief first 20 mins whilst trying to find a bit of the bikes groove - two bambis had a go, one missing me by less than a couple of feet. Nice big wide eyes, no worries the pants will wash, brakes were good!

Worst bit, got home and those damn chikkenstrips waaaaaaaaay to wide for a Brit!.. Hangs head in shame, rain in forecast tomorrows, even if tempted to ride in the rain, really not good idea with fresh rubber!

Small work in (past month) since purchase: new tyres, new rear turn signals, led custom relay simple fix - easy task! Rewired undertail lighting as PO made a hash of wiring in LED taillights. Bike booked for suspension and basic fliuds service in next couple of weeks.....

Big thanks to all on here for the friendly help and experienced RC advice, the bike is progressing steadily towards my 'new owner baseline' ...hopefully complete this very soon..

---------------------------
Recent previous 2 wheel steeds:
1999 Triumph Daytona - miss the triple.
2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm
1999 VFR - Proper V4, no VTEC!

Current garage:

RC51 -SP2 -2003, learning more and more about it!...... FAST!

Mustang Mach 1 2003 - also as now in UK ..... two 'dieselly' things, 'cos its sensible, both are Volvo's - just to embarrass the kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Glad yer getting to enjoy the fruits of yer labours mate! Get those new tyres scrubbed in and thin down them strips!

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
....Or get the emery paper & blow torch out!

Just joking!

Once the suspension's sorted - ride the bugger before it gets too cold.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

budoka Stig, All with you both, threatening to rain right now. Years ago a tyre fitter scared the poops outta when fitting some new tyres , stating ya gotta scrub em but forget it in the wet ....something to do with the release chemicals on the new tyre surface from the moulding. I thought of sandpaper but he said its the wrong kind of abrasion....born from that was a mental conundrum of how the hell do you run them in without going on the shiny bits! a few roundabouts later, quiet one both ways! But around here though got to go a way out to escape traffic and find some bendy bits.

Stig, suspension should be next week or so - now its legally allowed on the road going to local (honda independant) shop tomorrow to sort out a when - then got a few more simples I want to do on days like this. Could do the rear susp. myself but not the fronts first time out, want to make sure they are right. shop going to will go through all settings with myself on board, I have seen the vid Maddog linked, very good, they have had some nice RC's there in recent times so assumption is they know the bikes well.
Hope the rebuild of your colleagues RC is going well, thats an involved job you guys undertook,from other posts sounds like you are nearly there?

2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm

Current garage:

Mustang Mach 1 2003 - also as now in UK ..... two 'dieselly' things, 'cos its sensible, both are Volvo's - just to embarrass the kids!

Last edited by Johnski; 10-17-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Friggin ipad spellcheck......
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mold release isn't an issue like it was in that past. and some brands are worse than others. I was turning hot laps on Brand new S20's with zero miles on them right out of the box on two different bikes(1000rr & Mille-R).

Michelins always look really bad. trick to remove it is wipe them down with Non Chlorinated Brake parts cleaner. spray on rag wipe tire edge to edge. it will remove the chemicals and not mess up the rubber at all.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnski View Post
budoka Stig, All with you both, threatening to rain right now. Years ago a tyre fitter scared the poops outta when fitting some new tyres , stating ya gotta scrub em but forget it in the wet ....something to do with the release chemicals on the new tyre surface from the moulding. I thought of sandpaper but he said its the wrong kind of abrasion....born from that was a mental conundrum of how the hell do you run them in without going on the shiny bits! a few roundabouts later, quiet one both ways! But around here though got to go a way out to escape traffic and find some bendy bits.

Stig, suspension should be next week or so - now its legally allowed on the road going to local (honda independant) shop tomorrow to sort out a when - then got a few more simples I want to do on days like this. Could do the rear susp. myself but not the fronts first time out, want to make sure they are right. shop going to will go through all settings with myself on board, I have seen the vid Maddog linked, very good, they have had some nice RC's there in recent times so assumption is they know the bikes well.
Hope the rebuild of your colleagues RC is going well, thats an involved job you guys undertook,from other posts sounds like you are nearly there?
A long time ago (15+ years!) in the UK, I pulled out of a tire fitters and found the back end to be quite squirmy, but that was about as scary as new tires have ever been. First 50km or so, take it easy - or use TLRSKUNK's method. That would make sense. I've never had a moment when running new tyres (Bridgestone BT016 / BT003 & soon S20) and they get worn close to the edges fairly soon after fitting.

Forks aren't hard to do when you know how - but makes sense to have a dealer do the work the first time around. Have the seals changed too at the same time, it shouldn't make any significant difference to labour costs and you'll be changing the fork oil anyways.

Thanks for asking about Carlos' project. I've been tempted to call our paint guy this week and see how it's progressing as this was meant to be ready over 2 weeks ago, but realistically I knew it would probably take him longer. A good sprayer is always busy... Anyways, this weekend I've got other plans and next weekend we go to Moto GP Motegi, but in an RV (For comfort & good night's sleep) so the bikes wouldn't be used anyways. Sometime in November we'll probably spend a weekend and finish it up.

Fry those chikkin strips!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Cheers TLR, will give the cleaning a go if I have the right cleaner...AND wait for the dry roads! LOL they not called chikkin strips for nowt!:

2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm

Current garage:

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
The chicken strip factor. I guess everyone has to go thru it. I'm just as guilty as anyone.
But then I grew up.
I could give a crap about how big or little they are.
Now I look at them as wisdom strips if your bike isn't on a track.
Just ride within your ability, the strips will take care of themselves.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
No manufacturer uses mold release on the tires anymore, but it is not that uncommon for some warehouses to spray some sort of preservative on the tires. As someone already commented Michelin's seem to get a lot of this stuff and if you end up in the rain before the tire gets scrubbed it's like riding on greased ice. You can clearly see the white film bead up in the water on the tire...

Coleman Lantern Fuel instantly removes it one a quick swipe of the rag and does not harm the tire.

In the last decade plus I've only had chicken strips on one streetbike... Never could quite get that last 1/8" off the tire on my Honda 919

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 PM

I run my used track tires on my 919 I guess that's cheating but It's funny to catch someone noticing the sides fried off of the tire on that bike.

Thanks LDH I bought my 919 after you sent me a link to a article you wrote about it. The article was dead on it's a no frills fun bike to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode