Yesterdays dinner converstation.... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yesterdays dinner converstation....

my daughter has asked to learn how to ride she's been wanting too and so has my Girlfriend. So I plan on making them both take the motorcycle course of course and also plan to show them the basics I want to get my daughter an SV650 and my girl is set on a GSXR (actually her dream bike lol) what would you recommend I start with? At the moment all I have is my RC had a SV650 but after my accident it was considered a total loss. Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

-Bryan

MAYHEM STREET RIDERS LOS ANGELES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Start on a small, low powered dirt bike in a grassy field or soft dirt ... No cars to run over 'em. No power for the bike to get away from them. No pavement to burn their skin off or crack their skulls.

Wear all the gear: helmet, gloves, motorcycle pants, jacket and boots.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapolator View Post
Start on a small, low powered dirt bike in a grassy field or soft dirt ... No cars to run over 'em. No power for the bike to get away from them. No pavement to burn their skin off or crack their skulls.

Wear all the gear: helmet, gloves, motorcycle pants, jacket and boots.
great! what type of dirt bike would you recommend?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I'm an instructor and in good conscience I cannot condone getting anyone into street riding that did not grow up riding dirtbikes as young children etc. It's just too dangerous to ride on public roads and impossible to instill the reflex reactions we learn as children in an adult setting. You are basically setting yourself up for some sort of tragedy and it will happen. In a car new drivers get in fender benders and the worst thing that happens is their insurance goes up. On a bike there are no fender benders even minor accidents can cause a lot of bodily injury. I cannot even count the times I have seen someone's new girlfriend or spouse show an interest in riding many times feigned only to not have the proper aptitude or attitude to deal with the real world side of riding which is crashing. It happens and it always sucks and even more so when they get injured in a half ass attempt to pretend to like what you do when they don't really understand the passion involved.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I'm an instructor and in good conscience I cannot condone getting anyone into street riding that did not grow up riding dirtbikes as young children etc. It's just too dangerous to ride on public roads and impossible to instill the reflex reactions we learn as children in an adult setting. You are basically setting yourself up for some sort of tragedy and it will happen. In a car new drivers get in fender benders and the worst thing that happens is their insurance goes up. On a bike there are no fender benders even minor accidents can cause a lot of bodily injury. I cannot even count the times I have seen someone's new girlfriend or spouse show an interest in riding many times feigned only to not have the proper aptitude or attitude to deal with the real world side of riding which is crashing. It happens and it always sucks and even more so when they get injured in a half ass attempt to pretend to like what you do when they don't really understand the passion involved.
I respect and agree with you but half of what we have out in our streets have started somewhere and as I do agree with you in many ways I have to say that the ladies that I have seen that started have shown huge perseverance in wanting to learn even myself that rode dirt bikes in my younger years wasn't ready for the accident that had happened to me but I do know that my passion continues and of course I am lucky but don't ride the way I once did.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
I would recommend getting them in a course first.
They take the course on a range bike. They may get out there and not want to ride.
I've had that (MSF Rider Coach). Couple times had people come out and really want to ride.
Once they get out there, they decide it's not for them.

I personally would start there. My wife wants to learn. I have a 71 CB750 in the garage that I've told her will be hers,... after she takes a course.
I also told her she would NEVER ride my RC51.
She said, "I will after I get my endorsement. I'll just ride it when you aren't home."
I reiterated the word 'NEVER'.
That's when I got a chocolate donut in the face!

Riding is what keeps you on your toes...
~BOTM - April 2016, May 2015, September 2014~
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Do you find that ladies are much easier to teach track riding to?
I know a pal of mine in NH who teaches always says that he finds it much easier teaching the ladies
I also think they have a stronger sense of self preservation

other than that i agree with you LDH, i am glad i learned to ride 40 years ago
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Regarding a dirtbike recommendation, take a look at the Honda CRF230F. They are rock-solid, light, relatively inexpensive, have a low seat height, and used models retain their value. I believe all model years are mechanically identical, so go wit the least expensive example you can find that is in good shape.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
@dansp1
I couldn't tell you for track, but I will say in the MSF world females seem to listen and take direction much better. They are typically the better students. Not always, but for sure the majority.

Riding is what keeps you on your toes...
~BOTM - April 2016, May 2015, September 2014~
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

with being in California my biggest concern is splitting lanes. I will put them both in the class and actually want to take the advance course myself just for that extra knowledge. @nunya thanks for the advice that seems to be a good starting point.

and by the way I did see that picture you posted on facebook with the chocolate doughnut lol @luckyadam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode