1Likes
  • 1 Post By DHK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First time RC owner (2001 SP1)

Greetings from long Island NY here. Firs time RC owner and already in love. I picked up a 100% original 01 about a month ago with 12k miles on it, in damn good condition. Bike is a 1 owner ride with regular maintenance and all records, and has a little body rash from being knocked over. Nothing major, just some pits in the plastics and a cracked under the seat. I love the bike, and will leave it pretty much the way it is from here on out, with the exception of a taller windscreen and adjustable rearsets (I'm 6ft 4in). There are a few things I'd like to address with the bike, as I do plan on some track days with instructors up state from me: first, the throttle is ungodly twitchy, and makes it really hard to smoothly get back on the throttle while turning. Is there a way to alleviate this, maybe a power commander or throttle position sensor? Second is, the rear suspension seems awfully "sluggish" (I don't know how to describe it in a better way) and seems to kind of do its own thing on uneven roads. Tire pressures are good, and I don't know really much at all about adjusting the suspension, so any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Tires are next on the list, as it currently has pirelli Diablo Corsas, which I haven't seen in years, so good tire recommendations for the overweight twin would also be appreciated. Thanks guys, and sorry for the tl;dr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1img_2282wm.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	105233  

2001 RC51 SP1, 12,xxx miles (03/16) - 100% original, untouched, unmolested, near showroom condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:10 PM
DHK

Hello and welcome. sp1 owner in westchester ny here!

I haven't noticed my throttle being overly choppy but mine came with a power commander V. So maybe someone that has ridden an sp1 with and without a PC can comment.

As for the rear shock, its not the best. There are tons and tons and tons of threads and articles about it. Basically save up for an aftermarket one, and depending on your weight everyone says the kyle/mori link really helps out the sp1's. I'll let you know in a couple months when my bonus comes and i order an ohlins and kyle link from dan kyle. Just remember your bike is 15 years old so a shock that wasn't great from the factory is now not great+15 years of age and 12k miles of ny roads. Any good shop should be able to set up your suspension for you, or if you don't have one you trust or just want to learn try youtube and a friend you'll need an extra set of hands and eyes.

Tires i feel are a personal choice I have dunlops (q2's, the q3's are the update and on my other bike) on mine, they feel very dunlopy.

So good luck, enjoy, and maybe i'll see you around if you get upstate, on the roads or the track as i want to get there myself this year.
Blown262 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Yea I've been doing some reading, and the rear shock seems to be mediocre at best for almost everyone. I'm trying to transition from fireblade duty to this beast, and it's a totally different ball game. I had a 2000 929rr before this, and it didn't need anything for my lax style of riding. I'm looking to get more aggressive with some instruction from the pros once I get to the track, but I have a subliminal hold-back because of how different this bike is. I don't have the confidence to push it, and I want to start from the beginning and learn this thing in and out.

I'm actually in Westchester a good amount, and I'll have the bike up there before long, so I'll most definitely see you around. As for the track, I'm trying to hit the opener on 5/1, but I may hold off for some private instructions at a later date.

2001 RC51 SP1, 12,xxx miles (03/16) - 100% original, untouched, unmolested, near showroom condition.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:09 PM
DHK

cool send me a pm sometime if you are gonna be my way, i know the weather is gonna be crap for the next week or so but the season is just getting started and i'm always down to meet another rc rider. I don't think i'll be able to get to the track to late july early/august so send me a review if you get there first. As far as coming from a 929, power-wise the rc and the 929 shouldn't be worlds apart, the rc is just a bit dramatic in how it delivers. I won't say you'll get used to it because that sounds kinda negative, more like you'll start to welcome the exhaust note of a widely cracked throttle and the sound of the cam gears wind up.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Gents.. im in Newark nj. How about we get a rc51 group ride sometime this summer?
would be an awesome photo opportunity.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I'm down for a group ride. There's very few RC guys on the island here, and most are still hibernating. Any nice weekend I'm game for a hood cruise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode