ongoing review of my 2000 rc51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ongoing review of my 2000 rc51

hello everybody,
I have decided to write a sort of review and my opinions of my recently purchased rc51 with a whopping 75k miles. I am by no means an experienced street rider, however i do come from MX/enduro offroad and street is very new and exiting to me. some of my opinions may change as i gain more experience, hence the "ongoing" review. ill try to update every month or so on what ive learned.

First the mechanical bits:

When i bought the bike, the previous owner had installed an aftermarket under tail and made a complete mess of the wires, i have sorted this out and if any of you buy a led tail, shoot me a pm if you need help. I also had to make a licence plate bracket and light which cost me a whole $8 and an hour to make. anyway i have put in new brake pads, brake fluid, and air filters. The bike runs great!!!

First and foremost, apparently 75k isnt squat on this honda because it feels every bit as tight and quiet as ones at the dealer with 7~8k. and im only into the bike $2550 ! of course i got it cheap because of the miles. I did a compression test on a cold engine with the throttle wide open and here at 5000ft altitude i got 149 and 149psi, which i though is amazing considering the miles, the aluminum/composite sleeves, and the fact that we have 15% less air than sea level.

Here are some things i dont like:
Even with proper chain slack setting, at certain rpm's (3,000-4500) the chain starts to shake and causes a strange vibration through the whole bike. this happens under both light and heavy acceleration.

There is no rear tire hugger on this bike so the swingarm and rear shock are a bit chewed up from rocks.

My clutch may be worn out, but it only actuates when the lever is pretty much all the way out. ive got a 1/2" to work with at max. it doesnt slip yet so im not gonna worry about it too much, just assume its time to replace.

My fingers are short and the clutch lever is still too far out even when adjusted all the way closest to grip.

The previous owner put on a steering dampener, in my opinion this is completely unnecessary on this motorcycle. even on the least dampened setting, this thing gets in the way and makes the bike feel heavier than it already is.

Lifting the tank to work on plugs/ filters is the biggest pain in the ass! im really good at it now though since ive had to do it three times lol.

i dont understand why im at the gas station so often on a bike?

What i do like:

The build quality and design of the bike is amazing. for a 2000 year model its just built so well. in comparison to say a R1, this bike feels like it should cost 3x as much. Just the way the fairings fit and contour to the frame, the way both external and internal components are packaged in their locations is superb. The bike doesnt feel like it has any unnecessary empty space anywhere. IE a lot of bikes feel hollow by the rear shock area and in between the triple tree/ headlights.

Fit for the rider:

Im 6'0" 165lbs, kind of a skinny build. the rc51 fits me perfect. i do not feel cramped on it at all and would have to disagree with those who say this is an uncomfortable bike. with the balls of my feet on the pegs, my knees are pretty much bent all the way, but if i squeeze the tank as well, i feel like i can really weight the bike anyway i want. The rc51 feels fairly short to me so its nice to not have to reach way out for the bars.

Riding the RC:
please take this part with a grain of salt as i may or may not know what im talking about yet.
Straight line acceleration is quick, but definitely nothing mind blowing. i feel like a modern 600 I4 would toast me. I knew this buying the v twin so im not complaining. The torque is really linear and comes on strong, which makes it nice to cruise on and not switch gears so often however i find myself having to be really careful with the throttle. In slower sweepers like say mid 2nd gear, rolling on or off the throttle too quickly is scary cause it feels like the rear tire is about to slide out. Im trying to be really conscious of this and its becoming less problematic. its also not a problem in the higher gears. Leaning the bike is fairly easy and once its leaned over its very stable, assuming i didnt chop the throttle..... I am still learning how to turn and my biggest challenge right now is braking into corners, and mid corner if i must.

Hope you enjoyed what i have to say, ill update as i go on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
A review without pictures?

Now that's a first

My ÷hlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakisRC51 View Post
A review without pictures?

Now that's a first
i was waiting for someone to say something lol. im gonna get some good ones tomorrow hopefully

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Don't take this the wrong way but with you being new to street riding and having some issues (?) with turning and braking, I'd consider signing up for the MSF ARC class (assuming you already have the MSF basic class or equivalent under your belt?) and/or possibly a track day/school as well.

Keep the shiny side up...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque monster View Post
In slower sweepers like say mid 2nd gear, rolling on or off the throttle too quickly is scary cause it feels like the rear tire is about to slide out.
It will slide out,NOOOOO problem there..... and OH how I love it when I put mine into a slight drift/rear wheel spin on exits. It puts the biggest grin on my face...Love the monster bottom end torque in her. I can not back it in yet though...gets scary the few times I've tried.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
It's a damper, there's nothing to do with moisture on the steering modification...
Just teasing!

And keep the revs higher - it'll smooth out the chain vibrations a treat

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Street Savvy.

Hey, Lukas.
Hope I have your name right, Torquemonster.
Please listen to CobraGT90. Riding on the street is a whole different ball game altogether. It doesn't matter how much or what you've ridden before.
If you haven't been on the streets, then now is NOT the time to learn how to handle your bike, while avoiding traffic all around you.
Take the MSF & Advance MSF courses, just to BEGIN WITH. This is not sufficient. Practise in parking lots & learn to use your front brakes. Use your rear brakes while making tight turns (keep 'em pressed), to stabilize the chassis & once REALLY experienced, to tighten your turning radius going fast round a corner. Otherwise, just use your fronts & forget about the rear for now. Learn how to LEAN properly to lower your Center of Gravity, so that you use less lean angle & are safer going thru turns. And it's NOT like on MX bikes.
The best money I've EVER spent, with regards to my bike, was to take classes at Freddie Spencers' Riding School (now shut, sadly). Believe me, it was harder than any exam I ever took in Med. School.
Top Tip: Ride as if other drivers DON'T SEE YOU. Studies have shown that other road users do not register a motorcycle in their brains, EVEN IF THEY LOOK DIRECTLY AT YOU.
And wear ALL the gear ALL the time. Dress for the crash & not for the ride !!
Sorry, but we don't want any nasty surprises to happen to you or the bike, God-Forbid.
I shall stop here. I've been told by others, better than myself, to keep it short & sweet.
And oh yeah, please don't forget to post pics with your posts. You don't want us older guys thinking the younger generation is getting lazy now, do you ?
Ride SAFE & Friendly,
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.

Last edited by Muhammad Atif; 12-02-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
^ That's a cute picture DR.Rahi, Getting her started young are we
She has good taste in bikes

DuckHunterComposites
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yearning Youngster.

Thanks, Duckhunter.
I can only HOPE they get interested in bikes at a young age.
Ride Safe & Friendly,
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.
P.S. I cleaned the bike today & went out for a ride. Temp was 16 deg. C.
Will post pics of bike on my thread later.
I took your advice & dusted it & myself, off.
Thanks, again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smsg.Ph.Dwnld.Jan.10.2013 4890.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	4321  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Right on, good for you getting her cleaned up and treating you both to a scoot.
My oldest son, Ethan is 4.....Every time I watch race vids or anything like that he always come up and sits with me and says...Motorbike ???? Vroom VROOM !!!
LMAO cracks me up every single time, my wife just shakes her head. LOL
You know its gonna happen man, in good time.

DuckHunterComposites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode