Thoughts on I4 bikes with built motors - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Question Thoughts on I4 bikes with built motors

Hey guys,

I found a bike I'm interested in. Any of you have experience with built inline 4 (I4) sportbikes in the last 10 years?

The bike is a +3mm 1070 GSXR1000. Only 1500 miles on the rebuild. Bike is mint mint with nice bolt on mods. Engine has all the big names. KWS consulted, JE pistons, Yosh RR cams, V&H porting (for street improvements, no low and mid rpm losses), Falicon crank work and clutch basket, Carillo rods, transmission work (undercut and heat treat).

Owner said it is was built as easy streetable, no issues whatsoever with it.

What do you guys think of a bike like this? Back in the carburetor days this type of engine work resulted in poor running or finicky beasts. I don't know much since then.

I did some reading on line and some people are putting 40k+ miles on these builds without issue.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 02-13-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
With so few miles on the rebuild, I'd think it should be ok (knock on wood).

I'd suggest getting all the documentation on the engine work so you'll know what was done, and won't have any surprises or questions down the road.

Especially if any of the parts deviate from OEM specifications.
Things wear out inevitably, and it's easy to know what it has to be able to replace items.

Last edited by SubSailor; 02-12-2013 at 09:36 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The huge HP numbers the manufacturers are claiming are plenty enough for me these days.
The big Zook makes monster power do you need more? As streetable as it may sound rebuilt motors with some power in mind will never last as long as a stock motor.
Guys tend to run them harder...just my 2 cents.

If I was looking it would be a stock CBR1000 with BST's and Ohlins all the way around and just a few bling bits.

Plenty fast would handle great and dead reliable.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm not into this bike for the engine. It is a rare colour, mint mint, and has other awesome mods including wheels. Don't want a newer bike, rather a specific older one. I've been looking a bit and the general used market has shown me not so mint options.

I should have mentioned it was an older thou. Crazy hp compared to the older versions, but not so much compared to the S1000RR. it dynos peak like an S1000RR, although much much more torque.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 02-12-2013 at 10:31 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
It won't be just about the components, but the experience & reputation of the engine builder I'd say...
I'd check the compression (or better still do a leak-own test) and view the bores with a scope before parting with cash if possible...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

The builders are some the best out there, which is good.

Anybody else got experience? Pretty quiet.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The beautiful thing about the older Gixxers was the mid-range grunt.
The newer Gixxers (and most bikes) sacrifice mid-range for top end HP numbers.
Mid-range rules on the street.

I've ridden an '08 CBR1000RR and and an '07 Gixxer thou, and at 4000-4500 RPM, the Gixxer seemed like it had a more low-end punch than the CBR.
Granted, 4500 RPM isn't much to an I-4, but we're talking riding in traffic, not on the track (in other words, real world use).

And for my build and stature, I found the Gixxer to be more ergonomic and comfortable.
The CBR seemed cramped with the pegs quite high. The Gixxer seemed roomy by comparison.
Not slamming the CBR, but if push came to shove, I would have chosen the Gixxer for myself for daily use.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
The builders are some the best out there, which is good.

Anybody else got experience? Pretty quiet.....
Did he say who built the motor? Was it a machine shop or a bike shop? What kind of paper work does he have on the motor? How much clearance did they put in the bore, whats the ring gap set at, what size cam, how much seat and open valve spring pressure, does it have titanium valves and beryllium seats, did they cut the guides down, did they instal bronze guides, how much oil clearance are they running, did they deck the block, did they cc the head, whats the compression ratio, whats the dynamic compression ratio, whats the timing set at, what the cam timing set at? These are just a few questions i would be asking when purchasing a "built motor". From what I've seen alot of bike shops dont their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to motors, they can talk the talk but cant walk the walk.

04 Nicky
Jardine slip ons
520 conv. 15/40 RK quick accel kit
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
KWS building,
KWS keeps track of their motor builds. If they built it they can tell if its built by them.

Id call them and find out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobbyv8 View Post
Did he say who built the motor? Was it a machine shop or a bike shop? What kind of paper work does he have on the motor? How much clearance did they put in the bore, whats the ring gap set at, what size cam, how much seat and open valve spring pressure, does it have titanium valves and beryllium seats, did they cut the guides down, did they instal bronze guides, how much oil clearance are they running, did they deck the block, did they cc the head, whats the compression ratio, whats the dynamic compression ratio, whats the timing set at, what the cam timing set at? These are just a few questions i would be asking when purchasing a "built motor". From what I've seen alot of bike shops dont their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to motors, they can talk the talk but cant walk the walk.
Exactly...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode