A pattern here... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A pattern here...

So we are seeing a pattern here...we all seem to have a pretty good sense of the average age of RC riders here on the board, give or take a few years above and below.

The question I now pose is why? Nostalgia? A way to cling to our youth?
I remember the first time I rode one back in 2000 I was smitten, the bike belonged to a local club racer and I had just spooned on a set of tires on his bike. We chit chatted about it and he then offered me an opportunity to ride it and I accepted...long story short I coveted the RC ever since that day.

Is it the be all and end all of sportbikes? Not on your life, I've ridden and owned a few other bikes that would spank it in out right performance but I don't think the RC is all about that. It's old and slow in comparison to the new kids on the block.

I love the look and the lines of the bike it just fits me, why I don't know but in all honesty I don't think there has been a bike that has ever made me feel this way. Being in the bike industry for as many years as I did the excitement wears off but somehow this isn't happening?

She is a keeper I may add others I may not but I know she is not going anywhere...

So why do you love your RC? Why not any other and why is the average age of ownership 40?

Discuss...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
For me..... you ask why ???

#1 - V TWIN.... Love the sound, and the gear drive cams... not another like it.
#2 - Styling it had for it's day, just beautiful.
#3 - Aftermarket parts galore, cult like following it has.
#4 - Racing heritage behind it.
#5 - The all together feeling it gives, like an old muscle car... lots of bottom end to it.

The first time I ever saw one in person...... I had heard it coming long before I ever saw it... It was spectacular LOL !!!
This is when I was decided on what my next bike was. 4 years later I was able to get one... and have never looked back, it just fits what I want in my bike.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhunter View Post
For me..... you ask why ???

#1 - V TWIN.... Love the sound, and the gear drive cams... not another like it.
#2 - Styling it had for it's day, just beautiful.
#3 - Aftermarket parts galore, cult like following it has.
#4 - Racing heritage behind it.
#5 - The all together feeling it gives, like an old muscle car... lots of bottom end to it.

The first time I ever saw one in person...... I had heard it coming long before I ever saw it... It was spectacular LOL !!!
This is when I was decided on what my next bike was. 4 years later I was able to get one... and have never looked back, it just fits what I want in my bike.
This!! pretty much sums it up.. ive ridden a handful of bikes, and nothing gave me the same experience as the rc51.. speed is fun, esp with the newer bikes, but i love how the rc51 handles the power.. plus the sound gets me everytime!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Interesting question.

For me the RC is a visceral motorcycle.

It is, probably, the last of the point and shoot bikes and I am a point and shoot trained rider. I have never driven a bike that can slide like the RC can. Just hit the brakes as hard as you can throw it on its side and hit the gas and hang on.

When I was a younger(that would be a number of decade's ago) the two motorcycles that I really wanted was a vincent and a MV Agusta. In a number of ways the RC is like them.

The RC is a modern bike. I do not care how neat old bikes are they can not compare to a modern bike.

The RC will probably be the last sport-bike that I will have. I hope not but I have fewer days of riding in front of me then behind and that is a fact whether I like it or not.

It also does not hurt that it is a good looking bike with a nice reputation and there are not a lot of them around.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM

I have nothing to prove anymore so I don't care that it isn't as fast as even a new 600. I like that it is not a cookie cutter bike. Hand built engines. Lots of history in racing. I like the questioning looks when I role up to other riders. Truly has to be among the best sounding motorcycles of all time.

'04 Nicky Hayden

Flapper/PAIR Mod-Ladybird Full Ti Moto-GP -w- Long Cans-Proton Flushmount LEDs
HotBodies Undertail-Tyga CF Hugger-HEL Lines
Custom plate mount w integrated LED brake light
15/41 gearing-PCIII USB-Speedohealer-Carbone Lorraine Pads
Spencer Seat mod-Ceramic dual coat headers

It is a wise man who knows where courage ends ...
and stupidity begins.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
my rc's always inspired confidence in me, when i strayed to "faster" bikes, i was slower. when i park my ass on the granite slab that honda calls a seat it just feels right
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Why??

Why
-She's beautiful
-She has just enough power to bite you in the ass if you don't pay attention.
-She likes it when I buy her shiny gold things
-She makes me feel good when I ride her
-She loves a good romp
-She loves it when I wax her

And now for the RC51.....

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
It's a badass bike in every way. Always has been and always will be.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM

i get some hate on it for being heavy out dated and slow. but boy do i love it. nothing like that v twin pull down low and honda quality. its my first sportbike that ill never get rid of. couldnt be happier with my rc
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'd believed the Hype and bought a virtually new 954 Fireblade, but I could tell I didn't like it much by the way I'd just leave it covered in road grime week after month and only wash it occasionally when it looked horrible. It sounded like a sowing maching as it cruised... and I considered it a tool rather than a toy. I never bought any parts for it - all these are signs of how much I like (or don't) a machine.

Early one morning on my way to work using the 954 I came across a modified SP1 on an empty 2 lane road. We played at drag racing to somewhere north of 100 mph till the next set of lights and kept doing it till I needed to turn off & gave each other a thumbs up...That was like sunshine to a seed but well before then I'd always stopped at Honda dealers to look at RC51's anyway...
The majority were SP1's or more expensive SP2's in completely standard guise, most with tell-tales of having been on their sides sometime prior. None were really tempting.

For years I'd read about why Ducati V-twins gave better grip due to longer duration between power pulses reaching the rear wheel. I'd had a VFR750 since nearly new and so already liked gear driven cams. RC30's & 45's had always been machines I'd admired and the RC51 was the newer sibling for WSB Homologation. Being a V-Twin that wasn't driven by un-necessarily complicated Desmodronic valve systems and not having the unreliability woes of a Ducati, but the solidity of Honda build quality was another plus.
And it had a wet clutch instead of a noisy dry one. Bonus that it was beautiful too.

I didn't know of all the differences between SP1 & SP2's but I knew I wanted only an SP2 as it was bound to be better. As Honda would make no more V-Twin sportsbikes, my choice had been made easy. One afternoon when calling into a friend's office as he was looking at bikes online, I casually asked him to check for a VTR SP2.
Within seconds he said, "How about this one?"
As I looked at his PC screen I knew I was looking at my future SP2.
It looked fantastic & I wasted no time making arrangements to see it.
Owner wouldn't let me ride it but I could clearly see he'd loved it from new and lavished it with lots of attention & fine parts. He was only selling as he'd become a father and his wife had persuaded him to sell. His price was expensive, but I didn't haggle as I knew I wouldn't find a better one & left him a deposit. Following weekend I collected it.

Riding it home for the first time, immediately it felt special. The beautiful styling, the whine of gear driven cams, the sound from the V-Twin, the evidently better handling. It all felt right.

Surprisingly despite my dislike for it - the 954 looked like brand new once I'd spent a day cleaning all the grime off & polishing it - and so the first guy to view bought it (& went on to become a riding buddy).
With the Blade sold for close to what I'd paid for it 2 years prior - the RC51 had cost me a little bit of pocket change in difference.

In the last 7 years it's cost a lot more besides with the upgrade parts it's received but it's always been a bike I've enjoyed and I know I'll never part with it.

As for hankering after others, it's like when you find the perfect woman to share the rest of your life with. You look - but you're comforted in the firm knowledge that no matter how attractive others may be, you're just not tempted.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode