Bike hit in parking lot. F*&K! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thumbs down Bike hit in parking lot. F*&K!

So I was out enjoying lunch with a few buddies and as we are talking and walking to the cars there is a loud crunch (the one that sounds like a bikes falling over and breaking into pieces).

I turn around to see the RC laying on her side (1st time ever) and a truck pulling forward. The truck has backed into her tail and that pushed her forward, retracted the kick stand, and over she went.

I don't have pics to share right now but so far it a LS mirror, probably a front fairing, left fairing, turn signal, clutch resevoir, bar end, tank (repaint), shift lever, rear cowl, rash on muffler (tiny bit) and I'm not sure if the clip on is bent and the same with the LS exhaust (high mount).

It has the wing overlays for the silver with shadow wings and I'm not sure how that's going to play out. Same with the Hayden decals I had on the bike. This is the first time I've ever had a bike down like this and I'm concerned about the repair process.

Luckily the person who backed into her with his big ass truck works in my section and was right on the phone with his insurance whom I spoke with to give my information (I witheld my INS info). He's a good guy so I'm not worried about him.

What I am worried about is getting the bike back to how it was. Thankfully my Mori rad fins survived!

SO, what are some things I should be aware of, any tips to help deal with this and ensure I get a fair shake? The bike is not that horribly damaged (compared to a forward crash) but fairings will be replaced and the tank will have to be painted. I'm worried about getting close to totaling it-not sure what my threashold is.

I'd also like input in regards to the aftermarket overlays. Since they will have to replace the LS, now the bike is lopsided, same with the tank which has the overlays under the clear coat. I asked if they could just repair it back to stock-and possibly take the over lays off on the RS-good idea?

Same with the turn signals-there's no way to match a new one with the other side...I don't want a mix&match bike when they are done- she was a tight ship when she went down!

Thanks for your future support and advice....I'm heading to the range to "cope".

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scenario 1: You're gonna bring it to a dealership or a Honda certified shop. They're gonna go over it with a fine tooth comb, find enough damage to total it and you get market value for your bike + you're gonna have to find proof for value of the aftermarket parts because bikes aren't cars, you don't fix/paint, you replace. An adjuster from the insurance company is gonna come out and inspect your bike and corroborate the info and cut you the check which you'll feel bummed about because you took care in making the bike yours and the dollar value on the check probably won't be enough to make you feel good about having to start over.

Scenario 2: Check your PMs

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about the mishap...that blows. As I have never had to repair crash damage (2 crashes and 2 write-offs) I don't have any answers I just wanted to say glad that you are fine and that you were not involved in the wreck.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Thanks guys, the shop I took it to immediately after the wreck is pretty much the only Honda certified dealer and probably the only place I trust to have the bike, there's a Kawi shop on the other side of town and a Harley joint as well...

I honestly feel that I'm in good shape but there's always the worry that bike would be totaled. Prior to this the bike was in 100 perfect mechanical and physical shape, it's purely cosmetic save for the clutch resevoir. Those people know no wrath until the try to total my bike for some BS damage...

I'll try option 2 when I get a chance to get over there.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
An insurance company will always aim to pay out as little as they can get away with. A bike shop will give the highest estimate for repairing it.
Get an estimate. If it's close to the market value of the bike, they'll want to pay a low amount. They'll probably undervalue the bike too. In such case, find similar bikes for high value, save the details and send them to the insurer as examples of what a replacement bike costs. Make sure you can keep your bike - as part of the settlement.

You'll also want to see about rental of another form of transport and if that can be added to insurnce claim, in which case this would make them want to settle quicker.
It's all about the bottom line for them.

Eventually you'll get a payout check & hopefully get to keep the bike. Buy the parts you need new, sell the damaged repairables. Some which can be fixed should be, but use a reputable professional. For example, a bike bodywork repairs place that has a long history of top quality work & strong reputation can fix your damaged fairings, tank, etc.
You should hopefully end up with some money saved in the end. Pocket that - it's your payment for lost time, anguish, etc. and loss in value of the machine, as it's now a damage repaired bike.

Oh - and keep lots of pictures of the bike, so if you eventually sell it you can show exactly what was damaged & repaired & why.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Re: Bike hit in parking lot. F*&K!

Who is your insurance company. I am hired by a local body shop to do motorcycle estimates and repairs. State farm and geico are great about raising the value based on aftermarket improvements and replacing them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

The insurance comany the other driver has is Progressive (:/) - That's who was contacted.

I priced out the parts from Honda East Toledo and it was around the $1600 dollar mark for everything that is damaged. Add paint for the tank, BS flush mount turn signals, and labor to screw in a few bolts and it's getting up there....

I do have quite a few aftermarket goodies on the bike, all are big name items like the Ohlins shock, Moriwaki fins, TurnOne airbox, PC, the exhaust, etc. Those should be reasonably easy to prove cost correct? None of those items (sans a very small bit of rash on a paintable portion of the muffler) have been damaged, just the stock stuff.

Last edited by Hig; 03-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Sorry to here this Hig....sure is a shame to see a nice ride go down.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Don't stress it for now. Sit back and let the shop and adjuster do their thing. Progressive is pretty good with motorcycle claims, just remember to remain calm. Let me repeat that, REMAIN CALM when you talk to them. Their initial verdict might piss you off, but the moment you give them a reason to put a red flag by your name the entire process can become quite painful.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Gotcha! I'm trying to remain calm....but my MF'n woody sticker got scratched!!!

I have to see the lighter side in this....finally well enough to ride after a back injury, preceded by a working vacation thanks to uncle sam, and today was the first day of non-sandstorm to ride...and I just ate a delicious mega burger with ham, beef patty, green chile, fried egg, and beans...in a resturant full of girls in bikinis. Karma is a sick SOB!

I at least got to ride her to the shop I guess....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode