So I bought a project last night... ! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
So I bought a project last night... !

I always trawl Yahoo Auctions in Japan for interesting RC51 bits.
Found this SP2 this week. It had been highsided and hit a guardrail.
Got me thinking, as I have original parts from my SP2 that would fit this such as brakes, foot pegs, exhaust, indicators, seat, screen, mirrors, handlebars, rear shock, link, etc.

A very good friend here loves my SP2 and has been wanting one for years since we met, but can't afford it as his wife's recently had a baby girl and isn't working, plus SP2's aren't cheap in Japan.
You can buy a nice & much newer CBR1000 for the money they fetch here...

So anyways, I bought it and my original parts will have a home. Hopefully the seller has original screws, brackets, broken panels, etc. from when he took it apart.
I'm sure I will still need to find all sorts of parts and I'm sure I'll need help from some of you guys if you have parts lying around. Will probably use the services of www.rc51parts.com for some bits which I can ask my friend in the military here to help me with getting to Japan.

Other contingency plans in the event it's too hard to get it back to running spec. is to part it out and keep spares like the engine - or he buys an SP1 later on and we use the bits to convert it to SP2 (ish) spec.

LOL, I was speaking with my buddy on the phone last night and he mentioned I have too many projects on the go.... and now I have one more, for him!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
..... Now you own two RC's !!! You BASTID !!!

LOL enjoy man... keep us posted on it !!!!

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #3 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I'd love nothing more than to have a project just like yours docked on stands in my garage.

Build it!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Well, the idea is to build it with my buddy for him to use, so he doesn't have to use my bikes and won't feel bad having it at his place instead of mine... And if he does have it (He probably won't decide till he sees it) then the costs of making it up will be his.. spread over time.

I'd just give all the original parts I hoarded away & my knowledge to make it right.
He's a very gifted designer by trade, so should have no problem using a plotter to cut new decals of whatever design we choose and I have a friend in the paint trade who would do us proud with repainted panels.

Hmm, I wonder if I should order a carbon rear pod. Already thinking of ordering a few more upgraded bits for mine so I can use the old ones on this bike, but we'll see.
It needs to arrive first so I can see what it needs and if it's really worth doing & if he wants to make a joint project of this. Would be fun though and would sure put a smile on his face when he rides it...

The other bonus is that as it'll be a while before this one is back on the road, I can take off the spindles and have new ones made in chrome-vanadium. It may take a month or more for these bits to be finished, but the time taken won't matter as my RC won't have to be off the road. Weather's beginning to warm up for Spring now.

I've already planned a trip to Nagano on the RC51 & RC36 (VFR 750) with my buddy for 3 days once the weather's better, so he gets riding fever... See I've been steadily chipping away on inspiring him to get a bike. He knows he wants to!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Nice...let us know how we can help! Oh projects I've never regretted one but man sometimes you think why is my wallet empty?...lol

Good luck and have fun.
Ah, I know that feeling nobody. But then we just have to make some more to watch it drain again. It's a way of life...

post #6 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
So.... from all that I have read from your postings stig, is that you " just had to " buy another one " say " it was " your buddy's " and it is just really an excuse to you/wife to spend more on your own LMAO !!!!!

Nicely played......

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #7 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I think I may have finally seen the truth hit me squarely between the eyes!

But then again, I really can make use of the bits I have.
A brand new PCIII still in it's package... will find it's home.
It all falls into place so poetically you see!

I've been checking for Brembo clutch master and other bits today, since the other bike will need the original bits. Those Pazzos I got from nobody would go on the new bike quite well then.
My new ZG screen arrived yesterday, as the old one got marked when the clutch master dribbled a little and the fluid got onto the inside. So now I have a smoked screen for it.

Already found some used fairing parts in Japan which I'll be keeping an eye on till the bike arrives. A good used tank maybe hardest to get hold of - We'll see if the previous owner has a damaged one that could possibly be repaired. It's got to be a cheap project, as my buddy won't be able to afford it otherwise, but that's the challenge.

Looking forward to seeing it here. Will be fun rebuilding...

Last edited by The Stig; 03-05-2013 at 12:38 AM.
post #8 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I'd love nothing more than to have a project just like yours docked on stands in my garage.

Build it!
Me too! Please keep us updated on the project. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
post #9 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Just spoke to the seller (Tango San is his name.... have I been Tango'd?! ) who seems a decent guy. He's owned this RC51 since new and had the accident in October last year. Broke a few bones, recuperated then decided to sell and buy another bike.

He's got a few extra parts that weren't included with the bike, so will list them for us and at what price - but sounds like he's going to be fair about it.
Also sending us all the nuts, bolts, clips, etc. so I don't have to buy them new.

Also spoke with my buddy on the phone. Assuming the frame's OK and it can all be perfectly repaired (As a designer by trade, he puts a lot of attention on fine details) he reckons we'll first get it to a good starting base, then he wants to tune & improve it to become something like mine. Says he too laughed when he saw that I wanted to give him some bits off mine, so I could improve it further. I've been rambled!

Once I know what we need, I'll start searching here, or post a wanted thread for what you hoarders may have stashed away. Kinda excited about this project. Will be cool to make it perfect again... slowly as & when my buddy can afford bits & pieces but I know I'll be pushing him along all the time...And knowing me, he'll expect that too.

post #10 of 227 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Today was the day we collected the 2005 SP2 from the bike delivery depot, about an hour's drive from my home!

My buddy came by last night and slept in our lounge so we'd be able to make an early start of it, but being the beginning of the weekend we had stayed up late chatting till 2am & only managed to get outside around 10am

First off we took the back seats out of my trusty people carrier, laid breeze blocks on the floor and put a plywood sheet down so the bike could be carried inside.

On arrival to the depot we paid the transport fee and 5 minutes later the bike was wheeled to us. We were like 2 excited kids seeing a cool new Xmas toy...

Tango San had been great and sold other bits he hadn't included in the auction sale to us for dirt cheap & even fitted them. So we got the complete tail harness with ECU, CDi, Coils, relays, rear brake assembly and upper cowl frame (It's straight) as well as a complete lock set for negligible money.
He'd also put all the original bolts in place where he could too and even given us the side panels and V cowl for the front for free. The right side's got a couple of cracks, but we'll repair those no problem. (Left panel needs replacement). Couldn't help smiling...

We stood around it carefully checking the damage and could see the left fork's bent. The right looks OK. It appears the left clip-on and steering stop took some of the impact as the bike hit the armco (after highsiding Tango San off it!). The seat frame's completely broken too. He'd explained to me over the phone that the rear had also hit the armco barrier.

There's some scratching inside the swing arm where the chain had rubbed against it, but no damage at all to the frame and the swing arm looked good too. These hadn't been the wheels the bike was using at the time of the accident, so they're OK too.

Bonus we could see was that the forks have been reworked, so maybe the internals are OK and we can keep the improvements by switching components with a standard Sp2 left fork??

My buddy soon knew this was the bike for him. We loaded it in, secured it with straps and headed back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode