New production run of full Akrapovic for RC51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Post New production run of full Akrapovic for RC51

Surprise some of you cross-forum guys haven't posted anything about this.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...l-systems.html

The UK importer is thinking of getting a new production run of full Akrapovic exhaust in for the RC51. There is an opportunity for a US importer here to work together with them and thus have a smaller order size. Think anybody would be interested? Anybody know who can do this? Dan Kyle?

Maybe here? http://www.akrapovic.com/en/WhereToB...Pages/USA.aspx

I'll let someone else take the lead on this if there is interest. I already have a new exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
I know all about it..... I am on the SP1/2 Enthusiast group on facebook....

I would think D.K would be one of the few who might do it....

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
People bitch about having to pay more than $400 for a set of Yoshimura pipes. I don't doubt there are a good number of people interested, but like the importer said, the cost scares away a lot of people.

The main problem is that the RC51 is aging, and the bikes are only getting cheaper. It is much easier to convince a guy to spend another $2k on an exhaust when he just spent $11k on his new bike. Try to convince the guy who just spent less than $4k on a bike with 15k miles on it to spend that kind of money.

I'm not saying it won't happen. I would just be surprised if it happened without the distributor investing a lot of money up front.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Have to agree with b.miller on this. I'd luv a full Ak exhaust or a Sato set. Damned if I'd be arsed into spending half the price (or more) of my bike for them though. Marchesini wheels, Ohlins upgrade, the listis endless...and still would have one bargain of a tricked out bike once done. Just can't get my head around it. Maybe it's me....

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saw it awhile back...never posted because b.miller hit the nail on the head. People will hum and haw over the price, and if you did pay full pop and decided to sell and recoup some of your cash back people expect you to give it away.

My exhausts I have for sale are a prime example, I'm practically giving away the Yosh but people would rather buy a rashed up Jardine because it's cheap. So be it.

Almost tempted to say screw it and just hoard all my stuff and only sell to a very select few here as I've had too much time wasted by tire kickers...
Either you want it and are willing to pay for it or you don't simple...

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Saw it awhile back...never posted because b.miller hit the nail on the head. People will hum and haw over the price, and if you did pay full pop and decided to sell and recoup some of your cash back people expect you to give it away.

My exhausts I have for sale are a prime example, I'm practically giving away the Yosh but people would rather buy a rashed up Jardine because it's cheap. So be it.

Almost tempted to say screw it and just hoard all my stuff and only sell to a very select few here as I've had too much time wasted by tire kickers...
Either you want it and are willing to pay for it or you don't simple...
Yeah, I had some jackass offer me $300 for a brand new $1500 suit today. When I told him I wouldn't be letting it go for anywhere near $300, he offered $400

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Lots of good points which I agree with. Not everyone will pay, but a few will, and it won't take much on a small batch order.

Remember exhaust takes the first hit on a tip over. It is a much higher turnover piece on a bike than a shock, forks, etc.

I think if 10-15 sets of full systems came to the US, they'd sell.

First, there are almost no SP1 systems, so this would fit that market nicely.

2nd, some people like full systems, and there is almost nothing available in this arena. One does have the less expensive Hindle and the expensive ladybird HRC replica. Nothing in the middle.

There is a core group of people who want nice stuff. That is why sato's are commanding high used prices, Ladybirds are selling, etc.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Yeah, I had some jackass offer me $300 for a brand new $1500 suit today. When I told him I wouldn't be letting it go for anywhere near $300, he offered $400
I hear ya the suit you have is worth every penny...because I know my skin is worth a whole lot more than $1000.
Then there is the opposite people asking ridiculous money for rashed up crap like every single used Brembo master on fleabay is rashed and they knock off $50 off of the new price...or crashed, nasty sweated in one piece Alpinestars suits for $500??? No thanks.

I stand behind every thing I've ever sold or repaired for anyone, hell I sold a crap load of parts for my buddy on this site. He made about $4000 and I never saw, asked or even wanted a dime of it.

I did it for him to help him out and I did it for this site, that's why I never posted it on Speedzilla or even our local site because I wanted everyone here to get first crack.

I think I will just buy a project RC (I know where one is local for cheap)(and when I say cheap I mean almost too good to pass up) since I have enough stock and aftermarket bits to make another bike and a half...

I just may jump on the Akro's if there is a run...

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage

I'd be all over this also

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodderRC View Post

I'd be all over this also
Have you done the math? 1475 British pounds is approximately $2300 Canadian...and just a few bucks cheaper in US funds.

I can get a project RC for a lot less than $2300 Canadian right now...a lot less and I have several exhausts to choose from that I can use. :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode