Frame slider tie down, good or bad idea? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Frame slider tie down, good or bad idea?

I would love to get a pit pull trailer restraint system, but that's not in the finances right now. So I've been thinking to fab up a eyelet, that would thread onto the unused portion of the through bolt/threaded rod of the frame slider, to be used as a tie down point.

With my current sliders I have about 1" to 1-1/4" of the threaded rod that sticks out past the nut inside the slider its self. For the left side I would need an internal threaded rod about 3-1/4" long and one 2-1/4" long for the right. For the eyelet i would use a full machined eye bolt. I've already thought to get a high tensile steal threaded rod to replace the one that came with my sliders, I'm sure that this one is just plane mild steal.

Does anyone for see any problems with doing this?

Thanks for any help and insight,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I'm no engineer or mill-rite or anything, but I just wouldn't do it. Don' think th erod is big or heavy duty enough to handle that kind of load at a constant pressure and extended time. Canyon dancer and/or double loop ended straps with ratchet tie-downs attached to the triple trees/bars and swing arm.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I'm no engineer or mill-rite or anything, but I just wouldn't do it. Don' think th erod is big or heavy duty enough to handle that kind of load at a constant pressure and extended time. Canyon dancer and/or double loop ended straps with ratchet tie-downs attached to the triple trees/bars and swing arm.
I'd have to agree...the tried and true method works is proven and if you already have the straps doesn't cost in time or money.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I'd pass. Just due to that being a lower are of the bike. Lower triple tree and rear foot peg brackets are my traditional area to mount her down.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thanks for the input gents. With seeing the photos with people lifting and supporting the bike off the ground by the sliders, I thought that also using them as tie down would be a good idea. But you guys validated some of the concerns I have with doing it.

Currently I don't have a Canyon Dancer or the loop straps. I've seen the Canyon Dancer before, my concern with it was the strap the goes from bar to bar. It looks to me that the tank/fairing stay/stabilizer would get in the way. I've done the forum search and I'm going to be asking for members input on the RidersDiscount thread.

Thanks
James
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I used a canyon dancer for the whole time I owned the RC (about 5 years) and never had a single issue. I had the older style with the straps instead of the cones that go over the bar ends. I never bothered with ratchet straps. They are overkill on a bike, and you don't need to get a bike any tighter than you can get with simple cinch straps. I also never tied down the back like I see so many people do. Waste of time really, and the rear isn't going anywhere if the forks are tied down correctly.

I don't think the sliders would work well as tie down points. If you know a welder, you could use them as a hard mount point for a rigid restraint system.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode