Hig's Official Rebuild Thread.. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hig's Official Rebuild Thread..

So the rebuild has begun. Still no check but I'm not waiting around.

Here is the first step: Replaced bent shift pedal with one from the parts bin

Other wise I just cleaned her up today and took the plastics off to see if I missed anything. Clutch reservoir is in the mail so I can ride her soon.

Still on the look out for a used L side mirror....

Items needed to restore her glory:

Paint Tank
Front, Rear, L side fairing (taken care of, needs paint)
Flush mounts- L one works but cover is broken.
L mirror- mentioned

Things I'm going to do:

-New grips - all rubber
-Black shorty levers- currently back to stock
-520 conv. Time for new chain and sproks
-Install my version of air box. Been completed for a bit, time to install.

When I get some time this weekend I will compile the busted pics and the right now pics. Looking at her in the driveway it's impossible to see a totaled bike, kind of funny really. Sounds easy right? Most likely will get delayed when I do mods instead of fixing things....battery relocation?

Goal:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(6).jpg
Views:	845
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	9146  

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels

Last edited by Hig; 03-07-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
And the project begins.
Put up a list of everything you need to put her back together.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
GL with the project. Hopefully will be fun. My winter refresh has been fun and kept me out of (some) trouble.

Does the bike now have a salvage title? Or did you avoid that.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 03-07-2013 at 07:45 PM.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
And the project begins.
Put up a list of everything you need to put her back together.
Done

Also a bunch of stuff I want to do as well since she's under the knife. Good thing is that she will be rideable next week when the clutch reservoir arrives.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes let us know as I have a lot of stuff that I may be persuaded to let go of to the right people/persons...

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
nobody, assuming you have more than just the parts Hig needs I too may be in touch for some more bits - once the new project arrives!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No worries guys just ask and we'll see what comes up!

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the offer I think I just about have everything covered. I still have the old plastics from when I replaced them just for a color change...just need to get the decals in from the UK and have the paint started.

Found a mirror.

Shopping for suitable flushmounts, levers, grips, and chain/sprockets now

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Time for an update....also so I will remember to take pics when stuff rolls in.

So the plan:

I've gotten an estimate for paint AND powdercoat the wheels.

Going with red upper, tank, and tail and a matte black lower fairing. Matte black RC51 with silver outline in the stock spot. High gloss HONDA decal in the stock spot on the lower fairing. Wish someone with PS skills could do up a rendering

(Sharkskinz fairings from RidersDiscount, great deal IMO!)

Wheels will be a bronze color like the clutch cover. (Very similar to GTS's wheels )

*I changed out the sprockets and chain, did 520 conversion and 15/41gearing. Got the speedo set with GPS to be spot on with my V4 Speedo Healer.

*Ordered CBR COP's and harness to do the conversion. Also nabbed some Denso plugs to make it easy. I will have a set of coils and harness connectors left for someone who wants to split the cost with me

*Ordered an Alien Motion 8cell battery from RidersDiscount-should be here soon

*Ordered Mirror block off plates from someone....don't remember. Think it was MotoSport

*Ordered Bar End Mirror from MS.

**Best idea of the day (to me at least)**

I remembered that the eyebrow mod was floating around. Now that my race fairings don't come with cutouts for turn signals I've decided to update the RC with headlight mounted turns. I'm going to use HO LED's in the park lamp spot and build myself an OEM looking install.

Should be super clean and streamlined without mirrors or turn signals.

Need to order:

-Clear stock style windscreen.
-Decals.
-Some misc. stuff & gaskets (fuel pump gasket and filter)
-Black shorty levers

Wife has a mystery surprise for me, she said it had to do with pipes. Checked the Joint account ( ) and saw a ding for $740 something- could be the Ti slip ons I've wanted)

That's where we sit for now. I have to figure out what I'm gonna do to tear down the bike. I'm in an APT right now so I need to buy another front stand so I can take off the wheels. They are asses about working on vehicles in the parking lot so I will need to be sneaky and crafty. Can't wait to get my house...with a garage space just for RC.

I will like to say that I am trying to do this (re)build using site sponsors, vendors, and members. I believe in supporting those who support us. Besides little stuff here and there I have been greatly successful. Thanks!!

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hig View Post
I have to figure out what I'm gonna do to tear down the bike. I'm in an APT right now so I need to buy another front stand so I can take off the wheels. They are asses about working on vehicles in the parking lot so I will need to be sneaky and crafty. Can't wait to get my house...with a garage space just for RC.
Hig..... Just bring it in the building....
I did... had my RC up on the third floor in my living room for 4 and a half years.
Now I have built a little workshop in the underground parking for the bike to have a home... security camera and all.
It helps that I am a manager here though

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode