Insurance companies and the RC - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Insurance companies and the RC

Wanted to get some guys past experiences, with insurance companies and the rc51, after having an accident. Like replacement mods, payoffs,etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

1) Keep all receipts for every little modification.

2) Know the laws concerning insurance in your state. Look up your bill of rights on the state insurance website. You have a lot more leverage than the average person knows-and the insurance company WILL NOT tell you about it.

Progressive tried to hurry me up to settle- I never even met anyone in person. Knowing that they must provide me all information in writing I requested such (and could tell it irked them)

After getting the paperwork I went over their math and estimates, found their faults (there will be mistakes) and pounced. It took them about a week after I submitted (in writing-email is great) to call me and cut me a check.

If your bike is hit and you can get it home- do it. Make them meet you face to face-you CAN influence the adjuster.

For your comprehensive covereage, make sure you have accessory coverage.

If someone's liability is covering your damage- take the first offer and throw it in the trash, grab all of your reciepts and fight to increase the value of your bike.

Getting them to cover mods, etc. 100% is NOT easy. I just got done battling with Progressive after one of their drivers hit me.

They totaled my bike because the L side and front fairing were cracked and the tank had a paint chip. Needless to say I didn't fight the totalling- I waited until they made the low ball offer, refused, and countered with making them re value my bike. The first value was resonably fair for market BUT screwed me in the settlment (after salvage deduction). After the re value-the price went up ~$1500 ( about what my asking price would have been) I made out with a respectable amount.

I knew nothing of this type of deal before I was hit. I spent hours looking up law, state regulations, and general information about the subject. From my first uninformed phone call to my last written proposal the adjuster must have though that I hired a lawyer-the situation turned in my favor rather quickly when I applied proper pressure.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had state farm and they were awesome when i wrecked my bike. they replaced every little aftermarket part, and my riding gear. i didnt need any reciepts. they were cheap as hell but they will drop you quickly.

i now use geico and they are cheap and take very good care of its riders.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

I also use Geico. They actually offered me all the tips to help battle Progressive. Great place.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say Hig has been there and done that.

I had a guy with Nationwide insurance hit me on my old Suzuki SV1000S a few years back. I had two adjusters from NW, one for the bike/gear/accessories and another for personal injury. Both were reasonably decent to work with and offered what I felt was fair value for each area. The thing to remember with adjusters is that they want this case off their desk as soon as possible. They also have a maximum authority value they can get up to without too much prodding. Ask them what it is after their first offer.

And remember, get yourself examined, and then examined again. You want to be absolutely sure no injuries pop up after the accident. I settled and then 4 months later I developed De Qurevains (sp?) in my left wrist due to the accident. My health insurance ended up having to cover that bill. It wasn't the end of the world, but it was due to the accident and should have been the other guy's responsibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode