Long Distance Ride Comfort Mods? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Long Distance Ride Comfort Mods?

Hey guys,

I absolutely love my SP-2 but as we all know, it is far from the most comfortable bike on the road. I am planning on doing a couple trips in the next month or so where I will be riding for 500+ miles. I was looking for suggestions on some things I can do to help make the rides more comfortable. My main complaint is the numbness and discomfort I get in my wrists after some long rides I have done in the past so I was looking for a set of clip-on’s. Any suggestions on a set to purchase? Anything else to consider? The only “comfort” mods that I have is a Corbin seat and a new yet to be installed Zero Gravity Sport Touring wind screen.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
RC bars/helibars and an airhawk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Sargent seat. Huge Huge HUGE comfort improvement .
Now that I actually read all of your post...
Looks like you have the seat covered, so to speak.
That touring windscreen will make a big difference, especially over the stock (especially SP1) windscreen. I forgot how much helmet buffeting i got from the stocker, until I lost my ZG doublebubble I forgot how much that's an issue at higher speeds or if the wind is blowing kinda hard.
Cant speak to the clip-ons issue, I've been just fine with mine as they are. Madbuyer has some Kyle clip-ons I think, maybe he'll be along here.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 03-28-2013 at 06:33 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 AM

Apex makes adjustable clipons, kinda like the old Satos. They have an eccentric end that changes the downward angle as you rotate them. It takes some fiddling with the angle to make them work, but they can. I liked the less aggressive angles for daily and distance-riding. They worked fine on track too. You can readjust them back down if you want the more aggressive posture. I might have an extra set I've been holding on to if you're interested. Another positive is the bars are relatively cheap and easily replaced.

I found the Corbin seat superior to the Sargent for several reasons. Mostly because my ass is huge and I can move around the Corbin more freely, haha.

Get some tank grip pads too. I like TechSpec better than Stompgrip for daily use, although StompGrips work better on track when wearing leathers. This makes it easier to take some pressure off your back, shoulders and arms by transferring the weight loading to your core and legs.

Finally, if you really want to screw up the intended use of an RC51, get the Buell lowering pegs and grind them to fit. It gives you about another 1" of legroom, which can extend your saddle time.

I had all these mods, along with the ZG touring screen for a trip to Florida and back. Combined with the fact I had to stop every 100 miles for gas and a stretch, it was actually a good ride! It took 11 hours, but I felt I could have kept going if I needed to.

Later on, I swapped rides with a friend with these mods and he said it compared closely to his Futura with a little more forward lean. Way better motor of course!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 AM

Oh, or just buy a Futura. Way easier...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Sargent seat. Huge Huge HUGE comfort improvement .
Now that I actually read all of your post...
Looks like you have the seat covered, so to speak.
That touring windscreen will make a big difference, especially over the stock (especially SP1) windscreen. I forgot how much helmet buffeting i got from the stocker, until I lost my ZG doublebubble I forgot how much that's an issue at higher speeds or if the wind is blowing kinda hard.
Cant speak to the clip-ons issue, I've been just fine with mine as they are. Madbuyer has some Kyle clip-ons I think, maybe he'll be along here.
Love the double bubble screen, little buffet of the helmet during long rides and the Kyle clip-ons, I have no more buzz in the handle bars. I highly recommend clip-ons if you have the budget.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

dasrider,

Thank you for the detailed info. Please PM me if you come across that extra set of Apex Clip-On's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
Oh, or just buy a Futura. Way easier...
I was actually debating on picking up a cheaper bike to use for my trips such as a Yamaha FZ1 or Honda VFR. I have not been able to find anything that is in good condition for a reasonable price. Plus with planning on buying a dedicated track bike, it would be too much taken out of the toy fund. I love my RC51 and will have to make it work for my trips.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Love the double bubble screen, little buffet of the helmet during long rides and the Kyle clip-ons, I have no more buzz in the handle bars. I highly recommend clip-ons if you have the budget.
I was planning on ordering a set of the Kyle Racing clip-on's but was just told that they no longer carry them. It also stinks that Heli-Bars no longer makes anything for the RC51. Any other brands that you guys recommend?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Banned

Most aftermarket clipons are a 7 degree down angle as compared to 10 for the stockers.
Why not get some inexpensive clipons... I think if you pm 1971allchaos he may have some Vortex clipons left.

$60 worse case if they don't work for you, you could always sell them.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
I was planning on ordering a set of the Kyle Racing clip-on's but was just told that they no longer carry them. It also stinks that Heli-Bars no longer makes anything for the RC51. Any other brands that you guys recommend?
Apex, Gilles Tooling or Cycle Cat...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode