Actual mileage?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actual mileage??

So i got to thinking...

My bike doesn't have a speedo healer(not really a big deal to me) as i dont do high speeds anyways

But how does that affect my mileage

Since the speedo reads higher than "actual" mileage, i assume im clocking miles iv not actually ridden.

How would i calculate the difference? Anyone?

Oh...and having geared down last year(15/41) i assume i made it worse...

2006 #215 PC3USB
soft rev, flapper, 15/41

"Just tell them you bought it to impress women and have no fucking clue what it is or what you are doing." b.miller123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You need to find out the difference in actu al speed vs. Displayed. We will assume an average of 10 mph to keep math easy. Take your total mileage and divide by 10. Take that number off the total number of displayed mileage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

|--Honda Racing----| | | '|";,__.
|_..._...__________| |_|_|.....,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)*****(@)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM

First step is determine how far off your speedometer is. If you have access to a GPS you can do that or use an online calculator like http://gearingcommander.com/

So 15/41 gearing is pretty common and looking at the calculator when you're going 60mph with that gearing, your speedometer should be reading about 65.6mph. That's a little more than 8.5% difference. So you can roughly figure on adding 8.5% more miles on your odometer for as long as you run this gearing without running a speedometer calibrater.

So running non-stock gearing without a speedohealer (or similar device) does cause your odometer to rack up miles different than the actual miles traveled. It's also not a huge deal to some, but I can't stand my speedometer not telling me what my actual speed is too.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When the grand scheme of things are considered, the actual extra mileage is a pretty small number when you consider that people look at on vehicles. They generally think in terms of thousands/ten throusands. If you ride 20k you will tack on less than 2K of extra miles.

But yeah, if you know the mileage of the bike when you swapped gears you can easily deduce the new real mileage with some math. There is a surprisingly accurate ap for the iPhone called speedtracker and I used it to set my speedo with the speedo healer...it even has a sweet HUD mode that I am going to try out with the bike...worked in the car so far.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Rogue has a gearing calculator. You can use it to determine actual speed at rpm and gear, and check against what your speedo says.

Remember the bike stock was already overestimating speed and mileage, generally around 5-7% in my experience. So with a change in sprockets it gets worse too.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

FWIW, I remember that my correction with a 190/55 and 15/41 gears was around 12.3%.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hig View Post
FWIW, I remember that my correction with a 190/55 and 15/41 gears was around 12.3%.
Well, maybe that's an example of the inconsistency of OEM speedo readings.
I have the same 190/55, but 15/42, and my correction factor was only 11%. Checked against my GPS.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Indeed, also a factor is air pressure, tire brand, etc...considering the difference between ours it's most likely one of those minor factors.

I used GPS as well and may have even rounded some numbers here and there. Verification with GPS has been spot on though (+/- .2-.4 MPH)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 AM

I still have the stock gearing (16/40) 190/50 pilot and my speedo is way off I'm always on the freeway and I always pull next to cars an check my mph,. What do u guys suggest for accuracy

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPowerShift View Post
I still have the stock gearing (16/40) 190/50 pilot and my speedo is way off I'm always on the freeway and I always pull next to cars an check my mph,. What do u guys suggest for accuracy

Speedhealer....

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode