Good deal on jackets/suits - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking Good deal on jackets/suits

Hello forum friends. I just wanted to share my experience with a recent leather jacket purchase that I made through ebay.

I recently came across this: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Repsol...1911c0&vxp=mtr)

and thought too good to be true. I ended up contacting the guy and he gave me a warm and fuzzy so I ended up purchasing a Medium. The jacket arrived in about 3 weeks and I have to say I was quite impressed. For the money it is actually a very nice jacket. Genuine leather with armour in the proper places. Colors are right and fit was excellent.

He told me that he has several other variants of suits/jackets that are not listed on ebay and he would customize any way I wanted.

I assume they kill the cow and make it in their barn but hey, it works

The quality isn't on par with top brands like Alpinestar but the jacket I got definitely was high quality. The leather is not quite as thick and the armour is not as hard.

Just wanted to pass the information onto forum members looking for good gear at very affordable prices.

I am in the midst of ordering a pair of leather pants to match this jacket.

|--Honda Racing----| | | '|";,__.
|_..._...__________| |_|_|.....,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)*****(@)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 AM

How well do you think it would hold up in a crash? How is the stiching? In my experience, you usually get what you pay for when it comes to gear.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
How well do you think it would hold up in a crash? How is the stiching? In my experience, you usually get what you pay for when it comes to gear.
Like I said, I was impressed with the quality. The stitching seems to be good, only time will tell I guess. Hopefully I don't find out how well it holds up in a crash but I will revisit the topic after wearing the jacket for a few months.

I have bought the most expensive gloves A* made back a few years ago and I recall the stitching coming loose on three finger tips. I had to have them re-sewed so I use to live by the policy, "you get what you pay for", but in my experience sometimes you pay for the brand

Last edited by Andrew; 04-25-2013 at 09:57 AM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry, but I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing. I'm not big into buying brands for the sake of the brand, and all of my gear is pretty toned down. I just wouldn't trust that at all. The seller obviously isn't the most honest of persons (hello trademark infringement???), and has only been on eBay for less than a year. I would bet that his last account was shut down for selling the same knock-off stuff. You trust him with your safety?

FWIW, I was able to pick up an Alpinestars jacket that served me well for a number of years, and only cost about $175. It didn't say repsol all over it and have a bunch of sponsor patches though. You can also pick of used jackets all day long for that price.

Say what you want to say about paying more for a brand. I'll gladly pay more any day of the week. I'm not risking my hide to save a few dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Like I said, I was impressed with the quality. The stitching seems to be good, only time will tell I guess. Hopefully I don't find out how well it holds up in a crash but I will revisit the topic after wearing the jacket for a few months.

I have bought the most expensive gloves A* made back a few years ago and I recall the stitching coming loose on three finger tips. I had to have them re-sewed so I use to live by the policy, "you get what you pay for", but in my experience sometimes you pay for the brand
Did you contact Alpinestars about the stitching? They have some of the best customer service in the business. I've heard of guys getting gloves replaced years after purchase with brand new pairs since they discontinued what the guys had. Good luck trying to find that ebay seller in a year or two if/when you have issues.

60mph highside, not a single broken stitch on my suit besides the superficial lettering:

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 04-25-2013 at 10:27 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM

when i was in iraq, i had a knock-off repsol jacket made for me and i had a 70 mph get off as well. held up pretty well but not as well as it could have. stitching was the weak point not the leather. it split the seams under the arms.

just for what its worth i guess.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Sorry, but I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing.
I had a feeling you would come in here and say that after reading your slamming posts about someone's new repsol 1krr they purchased in their thread. Your opinion is valued and I respect your honesty. However, IMO, I am impressed with the jacket after having several name brand jackets/suits.

I am simply letting folks know who are not as fortunate to be able to spend 500+ dollars on a jacket. I can guarantee you one thing, wearing this jacket will hold up a lot better then a t-shirt.

Last edited by Andrew; 04-25-2013 at 11:04 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I had a feeling you would come in here and say that after reading your slamming posts about someone's new repsol 1krr they purchased in their thread. Your opinion is valued and I respect your honesty. However, IMO, I am impressed with the jacket after having several name brand jackets/suits.

I am simply letting folks know who are not as fortunate to be able to spend 500+ dollars on a jacket. I can guarantee you one thing, wearing this jacket will hold up a lot better then a t-shirt.
I have nothing against the bikes or the Repsol brand. My comments to him were just that he should call it what it is, a CBR1000RR, not a "Repsol", which is a brand of oil. I can't remember what happened. I was probably my usual to-the-point and opinionated self, and he probably took offense and thought I was an asshole making fun of him (good chance I was that too).

You definitely don't need to spend $500 on a jacket. I can't believe what some of them are going for nowdays. People are paying that much for jackets that look like the suits with the plastic shoulder inserts and race humps, yet they ride around in sneakers and blue jeans.

Any jacket will be better than a t-shirt, but I just can't go without saying something about the fact that you're rolling the dice when you go with unknown sellers and manufacturers. It's one thing to do that for cost reasons. It's a whole other thing when you do that for looks, i.e. so you can have a cool looking jacket vs a plain-jane one of higher quality.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
OP - I too would be cautious about wearing that jacket out anywhere other than at a parking lot or hanging it in a display case. Have seen the quality of those "overseas specials" in person and they are certainly not up to par - as long as you realize you are comproming crash protection and are OK with that, then so be it.

The seller I met with (was advertised on Craigslist) had a knockoff that was likely purchased from "alibaba.com" or an equivalent bulk ordering site. Was an imitation joe rocket/honda racing jacket IIRC - if the price is too good to be true, it usually is. I didn't purchase the jacket btw.

Caveat Emptor folks...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I am buying a 1KRR if Honda makes a Punjab edition.....mostly because I love the word Punjab.

Caveat Emptor folks... <------ This!!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
I am buying a 1KRR if Honda makes a Punjab edition.....mostly because I love the word Punjab.

Caveat Emptor folks... <------ This!!
Now your happy birthday post makes sense...lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode