Vague Neutral - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vague Neutral

I'm not sure if its normal or not. When I try to shift into neutral from either 1st or 2nd gear, it feels really vague. It doesn't really "click" in. I just kind of gotten used to click up(from 1st) half way between 1st and 2nd gear to get it in. I've gotten really used to it and have no trouble 95% of the time. But I still want to try to make it feel better.

Is this normal for these bikes? If not, what's wrong with my bike and how do I fix it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM

I used to ride a superhawk, they have a clunker bullet proof tranny; the shift points where very defined, almost like a dirt bike. I just got a RC and mine is the same way (not defined), it took a while to get used to but I love the smoothness of it. I think it's normal.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I don't get that at all with my SP1. I've changed to a barnett discs and plates and springs, but even with the OEM clutch, my tranny's neutral position is very defined.

Curious, when you shift from neutral to 1st, do you get a good thunk? Not enough to rock the bike, but I do.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Having the chain a little too snug can make it harder to click into neutral on most bikes I've had in the past. I've got no idea how or why, but it's worth checking.

'01 RC51, track '02 gixxer6, wife's '02 F4i, '72 Honda CB350 cafe, track miata, Formula Vee w/1915cc
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I don't get that at all with my SP1. I've changed to a barnett discs and plates and springs, but even with the OEM clutch, my tranny's neutral position is very defined.

Curious, when you shift from neutral to 1st, do you get a good thunk? Not enough to rock the bike, but I do.
When I go from neutral to 1st it will thunk unless I go neutral>1st>neautral>1st.

I'm just wondering why my is doing this and if there is a cheap solution. Every now and then I will stop at a light and think it's in neutral and let the clutch out and stall :P.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Clutch springs?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
While neutral is defined, it does not "click" into it like it does in other gears, And frankly, it should not either, because of the 1st to 2nd shift through neutral. That's the way it is supposed to be.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I used to have vague neutrals and also false neutrals between 4th and 5th (or 5th and 6th I can't remember) on my original low kms motor. I didn't like it at all. Installing a Factory Pro star shift kit solved all that instantly. For the current motor I had JD install one as part of the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode