When I first came to love the RC51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I first came to love the RC51

In my younger and more prosperous years I was an over the road A&P mechanic. Jet mechanic, in other terms. I drove all over america, went to a lot of different airports, saw a good portion of the country. In around 2009 I was in Charleston, SC. My lead man was a man named Bob. Younger than me, but decided he liked the older name of Bob as opposed the the more modern name of Robert, Rob, etc. He was a cool guy. Over the road jet mech like myself. I'd bought a bike in SC, an 06 Yamaha R6. Really I knew nothing of bikes, but the speed excited me far more than my former days of building Camaro's and Mitsu Spiders. He blasted by me one day on the way to work, and I couldn't get over the sound. I don't presume to know which exhaust he had, But what I did know was I was hooked. Bob didn't like me originally. I was a newby in his crew, We had some words, but when we both held our ground eventually he came to respect me, and I him. We were friends after. I knew and saw his bike, and was always jealous of it. A few months later, a different mech got the RC51, Bob was mad. He wanted to be original, have something no one else did. I could see it. He complained to me about it, really because someone took his idea, I guess. I said it's a cool bike, and I wanted one. Over the months, he came to a point to where he had torn his apart, and wasn't riding. I pointed at my jacket and said "the key to mine is in the right pocket". He didn't say much, but at the Boeing plant if you rode a motorcycle you didn't have to take the bus from the airport parking to the building, you could park at the building itself. Smoke breaks were a 15 minute thing where you had to get on a bus and get driven to the airport parking lot to do your smoke break. Motorcycles, you could just hop on right outside the door, and have much more time. So he took my jacket, key, and the 17,500 rpm bike that day. He actually complimented me on the ride, how for a 600 it was peppy. (06-07 R6 have a red line of 17,500 and i heard him blasting to the plant using all of it) He was kind enough to offer his bike when it was done, but I didn't feel I was ready, and I never took the chance to ride his 51. We rode together a few times, But I couldn't take his bike out. I had to have my own. It took me a couple years until I could get one, got it cheap and rebuilt it to how I wanted it to be. This site helped a lot. Now, I have two. Now, I enjoy when people come up, or ask me at a red light "what is that?" It's not an R series Yami, or the gixxer I barely ride that's sitting in my garage. It's something different. Something special, and to my knowledge there's only 2 others in Wichita Ks. I've read all I can about the bike, I enjoy that when I'm out on it, I always get stares. I can ride my gixxer, or the other bikes in the garage, and never get a glance because they are too common. It's different. And although I stole the idea from a friend, really he can't complain to me, because he is from Philly and me from Wichita. Anyhow, that's how I came to love our common interest. If you have your own story of how you came to enjoy it, I'd be happy to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Post Pics Please

Welcome to the Forum, KnightRider.
May we beg some pics from you, please ?
Thanks.
Here are some of mine. I'm the guy in "white".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130509_222920.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	15361   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130509_233243.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	15377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130421_190604.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	15385   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130421_190537.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	15393  

Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.

Last edited by Muhammad Atif; 05-11-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Interruptions at work !!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Actually I've been on forum for awhile. I was just thinking about spending all day on the bike and thought id write why I liked it so much. I've got some pics posted on here somewhere

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of em.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	15409  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 AM

Hell yeah.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Botched Biopsy Results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
Thanks! Actually I've been on forum for awhile. I was just thinking about spending all day on the bike and thought id write why I liked it so much. I've got some pics posted on here somewhere
Whoops. My bad, KnightRider.
Lets see now. Hmmm. I do believe I called the right patient this morning to inform them of their tissue biopsy result. Oops. Let me check the patient chart again.
I knew I should've paid more attention in class .. . . .
Take Care.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Samsung Download May.1.2013 627.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	15561  

Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode