42-tooth rear sprocket? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
42-tooth rear sprocket?

I have lots of 35 - 45 mph roads near me & would like to reduce the long-gearing a little.

Pretty sure I still have stock 16 / 40 gearing, and therefore a 530 chain/sprockets ... working on confirming that, but I do know the rear sprocket is a 40-tooth.

My rear wheel is adjusted pretty far back in its slot, so chain must be stretched.

2 questions:

- Is this sprocket OK? http://www.ebay.com/itm/321140685469

- Will changing the rear sprocket only work, or do I need a new chain, too ... knowing that the current chain is probably stretched already? (JT Sprockets brand?)

Trying to spend $30 (rear sprocket only) instead $200+ (520 sprockets & chain) if possible I guess ... but will spend whatever is needed / recommended.

Last edited by extrapolator; 06-11-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Added pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No need to spend more than you want, the OEM if maintained and well should last a good 15-20k miles, just inspect your sprockets to see if all is well...you can contact STG and they can give you a kickass deal on new kit. JT sprockets aren't bad, rather get that then a vortex...I got a Driven kit 520 15/41 steel rear ekchain 5kmiles and still haven't noticed any stretch. Also paid less than 2bills.

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If your chain is stretched all the way to the back, replace it. Sprockets should be replaced whenever a chain is.

If you think $200 is expensive for a chain and sprocket kit, wait until you toast both engine case halves trying to squeeze some extra life outta that chain.

Do not buy vortex, or any other aluminum rear sprocket for that matter. I had a steel superlite sprocket and it was nice and light.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I have an afam 15t and erv 3 520 x ring with a stealth 42 rear and a zillllion miles on them
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Alright guys, thanks.

I'm taking my new-to-me 11K mi RC by a local shop for a once over tomorrow ... got a list of items to discuss ... & then will tackle the chain & sprockets. Unless he says otherwise, I'm now leaning toward new chain & both sprockets ... I might "get away with it" (new rear sprocket only) but just hate problems arising from having taken the cheap route.

Last edited by extrapolator; 06-11-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Added pic
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
If you think $200 is expensive for a chain and sprocket kit, wait until you toast both engine case halves trying to squeeze some extra life outta that chain.
Do not buy vortex, or any other aluminum rear sprocket for that matter. I had a steel superlite sprocket and it was nice and light.
Haha....tell him how you really feel bmiller.

The Driven sprocket sets are nice

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
I have an afam 15t and erv 3 520 x ring with a stealth 42 rear and a zillllion miles on them
I got the same set up ...only with less miles on them.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Decide on your tooth count, and buy the chain long. You may need an extra link in your chain for that 42 tooth sprocket - especially if you convert to a 190/55 tire.
Just watch out for the widths. 520 vs. 530. Make sure both sprockets and chain match.
I'd rather see you try a 15 tooth front - assuming you have the stock 16 now. It's the equivalent of going up almost 3 teeth on the back. It'll make a noticable difference, but not so much that you won't like it. Quicker acceleration, and shifting points are at a slower speed. You can use 2, 3, and 4th gear more efficiently in traffic and city streets/traffic lights.
I run a 15/42 here in Sacramento and the outlying foothills and canyon highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
If your chain is stretched all the way to the back, replace it. Sprockets should be replaced whenever a chain is.

Not sure why you're condemning all aluminum rear sprockets. AFAM makes a damn good rear sprocket, I got about 20,000 out of my first one, and replaced it with another identical AFAM. It weighs roughly 1/2 of the same size steel sprocket.

And since we're talking about quality, I'm having trouble with my new DID ERV3X chain spitting up little strips of the x-type o-rings. Not the whole o-ring, just the top part of them. I lube and clean the chain no less than every 400 miles.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Well damn ... How does a guy decide on 41 or 42 rear and 16 or 15 front when he's got all of about 20 miles on the bike?! (and no other experiences on RCs)

"You can use 2, 3, and 4th gear more efficiently ..." is what I think I need. Last night in a 40 mph zone, where I tend to do 45 of course, 3rd gear was lugging and jerky ... downshift to 2nd cured the jerkyness but then the RPM's seem excessively high.

Also, at age 44 and having been over 160 ONCE on a bike (once was enough; was on one of my CBR900's) I have no desire for top speeds anymore. A blast to maybe 100 or 120 will be plenty, and rare.

It sounds like 15 / 42 is for me.

Last edited by extrapolator; 06-11-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Added another pic
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Yep, sounds like 15/42 is the way for you to go. You'll be glad you did. Never heard of anybody regretting change to that. I'd stick with 530 size, but many change to a slightly lighter 520. I don't think you can tell the difference either way in chain size when riding.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode