Well I was going to keep riding red... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well I was going to keep riding red...

but I found a deal I can't refuse. Found a 2007 R6 in dire need of, well, pretty much everything that I'll be picking up in a few weeks. At least it is a clean slate to start with. Lots of work ahead.

I went to pick up an exhaust for my 250 from a small dealer and saw this.

Jokingly one guy there asked if I wanted a project for $2500. I didn't really think much of it, but took a quick look and it looked decent but I'm not really in a position to be looking at bikes since I'm closing on a house in a few weeks.

I couldn't resist and sent him a message a few days later to ask if they still had it. They still did and said they were about to advertise it for $2800, said he would take $2500 since they offered it to me at that. I asked if I could break it down a little and check the wheels. Sure enough the front wheel has a slight lateral wobble, but the rotors are good. Also noticed that the lower triple has had both steering stops taken off of it. Not broken off, but actually ground down like someone purposely took them off. So he lets me take the forks off to check them and the left one is very slightly bent. We go back and forth with a high from me of $1700 and a low from him of $2000, ending in a stalemate and no deal. We shake hands and I thank him for letting me tear it apart (I put it back together too), and I wish him the best.

Well a couple days later I get a call that they wouldn't feel right selling it without disclosing everything I found and would be willing to take $1700 to get it gone.

Lowdown of the bike:
Clean title (was a bank repo), unknown miles, missing the obvious, and ecu, doesn't have keys, can't start it. I did take a look at the oil and it was clean. The coolant looked good. The OEM chain is still on it with no wear showing on the sprocket, and the brake pads had lots of meat left on them, leading me to think this was a fairly low mile bike

My original plan was to piece together an '08+ cbr600rr trackbike for next season a little at a time off ebay and forums. I would have probably paid close to $1500 just for an engine or frame. So, even if she doesn't run, I basically paid $1700 for a clean title frame, swingarm, tank, rear wheel and wiring harness. Still a good deal.

I was considering buying Evad101's RC51, but I want to try something different, and I won't feel bad if I toss a lowly R6 down the pavement.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 09-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to IM28702
I always thought it was "Chicks ride the fender"... Here looks like "Chicks ride the hugger..."

Good buy. At least you don't have to feel bad putting the first scratch on it.

Whatever I lack in HP I make up for in just plain ol' crazy!!

2000 Corvette
2001 RC51
Not sure which is faster...
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I see another street fighter in the making???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM28702 View Post
I always thought it was "Chicks ride the fender"... Here looks like "Chicks ride the hugger..."

Good buy. At least you don't have to feel bad putting the first scratch on it.
Surprisingly, even after being down on both sides (left worse than right) there are only some light marks on the tank that will probably buff out.

I was thinking of doing something other than blue, but I always liked the yamaha blue, and wanted a blue R1 when I had a black and silver '02. I came close to buying a leftover blue '06 R1 when I picked up the RC51 5? years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusAnadaMexican View Post
I see another street fighter in the making???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I was temped to do that, and I still might, but I think this will be my trackbike. I'm thinking of doing an endurance look with one headlight. Can't decide if I want to use an OEM headlight or a round one.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Nice find. $1700 is a good price for that as long as the engine and tranny are good.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM

TRAITOR!!! Good deal though. How much do you expect to dump into it?
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Looks like your going to stay busy for awhile

|--Honda Racing----| | | '|";,__.
|_..._...__________| |_|_|.....,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)*****(@)
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboojackson View Post
TRAITOR!!! Good deal though. How much do you expect to dump into it?
Same as I do with every motorcycle I own: Too much!

In all seriousness, I hope to have it at least running and track worthy for less than $4k, basically stock with armorbodies or sharkskinz track bodywork and a set of sticky tires. I can cut that down to about $3500 if I go with some cheaper bodywork.

Suspension and exhaust will come later. I have a feeling I might be doing the exhaust sooner though. From what I've read, the stock muffler box doesn't fit at all with track bodywork.

Suspension will add anywhere from $1k to $2.5k depending on what I go with.

Exhaust will add $500-$1800.

Clip-ons and rearsets will be another $300-$700 depending on what I go with.

So on the cheaper end of that I have $5300, and the upper end $9000 ... well it's a motorcycle so there is no real upper end. All this is of course depending on the engine running or not. Add a grand to the above if I bought a grenade.

Yesterday I spent some money on the R6 forums.

Picked up:
$50 Snorkel, front wiring harness with sensors
$175 gauges
$100 front wheel
$200 subframe
$200 a set of forks in need of a seal change

waiting on a guy to get back to me on an ECU for $100 (cheap for the 08+ R6 it seems), if not I know another guy local that has one for $175, which I'll probably pick up anyways even if it just a spare as $175 is still cheap too.

So that's about $825 already.

It's killing me to not have the bike in my hands yet, but as soon as the keys to my new house are in my hands, the bike will be the first thing I put in the house.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Looks like your going to stay busy for awhile
Yeah... Still in the middle of putting new-gen ninja 250 bodywork on my pre-gen... (don't worry, it's getting rattle canned some other color)

Finally found another good tank for it after I found out the spare I bought was leaking like a mofo. While waiting for the tank, I replaced the bent right bar, master cylinder & lever, clutch lever with an adjustable ex500 unit, the right rearset plate, and the exhaust can (which started the whole R6 escapade)

Here's the new tank, it's a repaint but pretty close to the factory red:

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 06-12-2013 at 04:14 PM.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if the r6 is going to be a track only bike, I can get you a YEC harness and ecu for it.

Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode