Transporting a bike - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Transporting a bike

Will probably be picking up a new to me RC in the next week or three. I know that the canyon dancers are recommended, but I do not know which size to get.

I assume that a front wheel stand would also be needed. I was thinking of attaching one of the stands to a sheet of plywood sized for the bed of my truck. Has anyone else done this? (good idea or not?)

And last, does anyone know how long the RC is from tip of tire to tip of tire? My truck bed with liner installed is 6' 4". Trying to determne if the RC will fit into the bed and I can close the gate, or if I'll need to drive home with the tailgate down. One of the bikes I am thinking of getting is roughly 700 miles away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinCtown View Post
I assume that a front wheel stand would also be needed.
You can secure it with a stand you buy or make yourself out of wood - doesn't need much. You can even wrap ratchet straps around it & strap those to the front corners of your bed. Best thing is a front wheel stand, though. Although I recently hauled mine home from a little over an hour away with nothing holding the front wheel itself We strapped the bike down while leaning on its kickstand ... waaay more secure, doesn't move side-to-side at all, and I just checked the handle bars via my rear view mirror from time-to-time. 10 hours is a lot longer, though, and I'd do your plywood and wheel stand idea for that.

Quote:
I was thinking of attaching one of the stands to a sheet of plywood sized for the bed of my truck. Has anyone else done this? (good idea or not?)
That's a fine idea. It won't take much to keep it secure.

Quote:
And last, does anyone know how long the RC is from tip of tire to tip of tire? My truck bed with liner installed is 6' 4". Trying to determne if the RC will fit into the bed and I can close the gate, or if I'll need to drive home with the tailgate down. One of the bikes I am thinking of getting is roughly 700 miles away.
In my Nissan Titan King Cab, the tailgate missed closing by about 2 inches. I could've angled the bike into the front right corner to make it fit, which would also have helped stabilize the front wheel, but leaving the tailgate open didn't bother me. My trip was just way shorter than yours.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Mike , that is what I did and it works great . I have a small GMC Canyon extended cab 4X4 off road w/ a 6' bed . What I did was cut a 4X8 ft sheet of 3/4 " AC plywood and fit it around the wheel wells and on to the tailgate , because you have to leave the gate down . Fit a Pitbull wheel chock in the front to help denting up the front of the bed, and to keep the bike locked in . When I use it I throw the plywood in and the chock and roll it up the ramp and tie it down using GOOD ratcheting straps with Loop straps to keep the ratcheting straps from rubbing on the fairings . I bet the canyon dancers you can purchase from our sponsor RIDERS DISCOUNT would be the balls . Just use the hooks on the bed tie downs . I did just purchase a used hardly used www.readyramp.com for the weight of our bikes . Rides in the bed with no problems Rides in the center of the bed .

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414

Last edited by CapeCodderRC; 07-01-2013 at 07:25 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

This is the ramp I have and I'm assuming it should work fine. Still don't exactly know how to load it though. In having my CBR for 4-5 years I still haven't needed to take it anywhere it didn't get to by itself.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb...amp-60333.html
I use this ramp every winter as I haul a large Husqvarna snowblower around and do driveways. I put the snowblower in gear and just walk it up the ramp.

This is the wheel chock I was thinking of getting:
http://www.harborfreight.com/self-lo...ock-60392.html
or maybe even this one as I just need it for one trip and it would be screwed to the wood.
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97145.html
Or maybe even this one as it looks like the dual disks wouldn't be impacted.
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html
I'm sure the Pitbull stand is great, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra $ for one use considering it looks like it works the same way.

FWIW I have a GMC extended cab pickup 2wd, so the back isn't at high up as a 4x4 would be. It has the 6 1/2' bed, but the liner takes away a couple inches. I have tie downs on the bed sides and not on the floor like the Fords do. (I've been told this is better though for transporting a motorcycle.

Last edited by MikeinCtown; 07-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haul my RC51 and vintage racer in my Dodge Dakota Quad cab. I do have to leave the tailgate down though, the bed is only 60 or so inches long. I use a Ready Ramp, which doubles as a bed extender at the rear. This lets me the air tank, gas can and whatever else in the bed of the truck with the bikes. At the front, I've got a bar bolted to the front of the bed, with notched to put the front wheels into, that has loops to attach the straps to. It also keeps the front of the bed from pushing into the back of the cab. I can't remember what the bar is called, but it is commercially available for this purpose. I've also found that the Canyon Dancer works, but use the 18 inch individual bar straps as they seem to be a little easier for me to use. The best tie-downs, bar none, are the Erickson, self retracting straps. They ratchet and don't pose any problem with loose ends.

'12 KTM RC8
JCE Exhaust
Bazzaz GP Quick Shift
Rottweiler Ram Air

'02 RC51
LadyBird Full Titanium HRC Replica Exhaust
PCIII USB
Lockhart CF Frame and Swingarm Sliders
GP Shift
Galfer Superbike Brake Lines
Turn One C/F Snorkle & Airbox With K&N Filter
Turn One Radiator Ducts w/Spal Pusher fans
Samco Radiator Hoses
Powdercoated OEM Wheels

'11 CBR1000RR Repsol Edition
Bazzaz ZFI/AFM
Taylormade Exhaust

'80 CBX

'65 CB77 Vintage Road Racer
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Mike, with that straight ramp your fairing will prob come very close to hitting on the ramp as you transition on the truck ... If your truck is high and or if you have your body weight on the bike and / or if the ramp is short-ish like it looks, it probably will hit. Just be aware. If you ride it on, try to stand up off the bike as soon as possible as it transitions onto the bed.

BTW I also used those canyon dancers ... didn't know they were called that, & I had forgotten about them; seller I bought my RC from sold me his cheap ... but yes they work great. They put the force where it should be, downward, rather than the usual way of one strap on each side trying to pull the grips off.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Canyon Dancers are the only way to go if you can't afford the Pitbull set up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I've hauled my bike a lot of places.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use canyon dancers and a wheel chock. I bought a cheap chock from cyclegear and used a few self tapping screws to secure it to the truck. I've done this many times on the way to the track. 4 hours for almost all tracks from my house in Fl. I use ratchet straps to secure and my bike never moves an inch.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrapolator View Post
Mike, with that straight ramp your fairing will prob come very close to hitting on the ramp as you transition on the truck ... If your truck is high and or if you have your body weight on the bike and / or if the ramp is short-ish like it looks, it probably will hit. Just be aware. If you ride it on, try to stand up off the bike as soon as possible as it transitions onto the bed.

BTW I also used those canyon dancers ... didn't know they were called that, & I had forgotten about them; seller I bought my RC from sold me his cheap ... but yes they work great. They put the force where it should be, downward, rather than the usual way of one strap on each side trying to pull the grips off.
Crap. I guess I'll have to practice getting up and down the ramp on my 600. I know when you add the kind of weight that a bike and I would weigh to the back of the truck, it sags a good 3-4 inches I'd guess. I can step up on the back bumper so it's not like it is that high. I'm hoping that as soon as I get weight onto the back on the ramp that the truck dips some and it makes it easily.

On the photo with the bikes across the bed corners, how do you secure it from moving given the now odd placement of the tie downs? Plus, the back of that Ford looks shorter than my truck. I'm thinking that is a 5 or 5.5' bed. With my luck I'd get it in and it will be one inch too long to close the gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode