Pit Bull stand - Don't be DUM like me ... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Pit Bull stand - Don't be DUM like me ...

... and trust the little "wrenches" atop the bolt on each side. I have my stand set for the 'no-spools' rubber-sleeved way, and I had cranked down the little wrenches as tight as I could.

Well ... that wasn't tight enough.

Muther fugging left piece apparently loosened a little and tonight slid out & let my bike drop to the left onto it's tire and then slooooowly leaned aaaaaalllll the way over onto its side, while I fought the fall with all my might from the left rear corner ... not a good place for leverage to try to stop a bike that's on its way down.

No real damage, but the clutch lever got bent forward into much closer to a half-circle than the factory crescent moon-ish shape. Didn't break and still works, tho.

I have now removed those dip-shit Pit Bull mini-wrenches I fell for and cranked the fuch out of the two bolts with a real driver & socket.

Dammit. Now I have to replace the clutch lever. Oh well, worse things can happen.

Last edited by extrapolator; 02-25-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I once dropped mine at a gas station when I didn't push the side stand all the way forwards and it rolled off with me still sitting on the bike. I dropped it very gently and bent the clutch lever... Got a piece of scaffolding and gently bent it back into shape. Did replace it with a new one though - they're available cheaply from Ebay. Or it's perhaps a good time as any to upgrade and get some Pazzo levers!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Or it's perhaps a good time as any to upgrade and get some Pazzo levers!
+ 1 for Pazzo levers ! Quality Canadian product.

"sent from the duck pond"

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shit as I told Duckie the other day...I was pushing my bike on the lift, sidestand still down and it levered the bike. The bike slowly rolled over on top of me.

I yelled for my son thank goodness he was home I would still be trapped under there. This happened on Friday.

I had a pretty good bruise and a scrape on my lower left calf, which somehow got infected and I'm now on antibiotcs.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, it could have been worse.. It could have been chinese bodywork and it might have shattered.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrippa View Post
Well, it could have been worse.. It could have been chinese bodywork and it might have shattered.
Hmm…still the pessimist. j/k…lol
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have to wonder, why didn't you check the bolts periodically? They aren't going to loosen up after one use while the bike is sitting on it. And why not put spools on it? Did the stand come with lock washers to place under the bolts? If not, why didn't you add any?

You issues could have been avoided very easily, even if you were using their cheap little wrenches.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I got home from a ride on Saturday night and my son came out when he heard me pull into the garage (gotta love the sound of those pipes indoors). While I was still straddling the bike, he ran around back and raised the rear with the paddock stand. Unfortunately, he aligned the right side, then had to move it a little to align the left side, and he never double checked the right. The right spool was not inside of the saddle, and was on top of the edge. Within a few seconds it abruptly dropped the right side, while still holding up the left. I grabbed the right bar while it was falling, and held it up while he removed the stand. Thankfully, nothing hit the ground. It took all the strength I had to catch and hold that bike, and my right leg was basically underneath it, helping to hold it up. Scared the crap out of me.

Lesson learned: Make sure both spools are completely in the saddle before lifting, or walking away!

Last edited by 92VFR; 07-26-2013 at 04:13 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinCtown View Post
I have to wonder, why didn't you check the bolts periodically? They aren't going to loosen up after one use while the bike is sitting on it. And why not put spools on it? Did the stand come with lock washers to place under the bolts? If not, why didn't you add any?

You issues could have been avoided very easily, even if you were using their cheap little wrenches.
You must be one of those blokes that never makes mistakes then eh? Put yourself in the Guinness Book of Records for being the only bloke not to make a mistake. You will be the envy of the world.

2000 RC51 SP1
2007 Yamaha YZ450f
2002 Yamaha YZ125 (sold)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2004 Triumph Speed Triple (sold)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (sold)
1996 Honda RVF NC35 (sold)
1983 Kawasaki KX60 (wrecked)
1982 BSA Scrambler (wrecked)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpSP1 View Post
You must be one of those blokes that never makes mistakes then eh? Put yourself in the Guinness Book of Records for being the only bloke not to make a mistake. You will be the envy of the world.
I make plenty of mistakes, but I don't bitch about the product being at fault, I blame myself.

When I dropped my CBR, it happened because I didn't have the kickstand all the way down. I didn't blame the kickstand that Honda made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode