Thunderhill track day - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Thunderhill track day

Hey guys, just thought I'd tell you about my first track day on my RC51. Two of my good friends and I went to Thunderhill, outside of Willows CA. Since it was my first time, I was nervous, but stoked. Gonna keep it calm, learn my way around, watch other riders, and just learn the track. That was the plan.
Safety meeting and registration. Talked about the right tool for the job and discouraged street tires. Even the so called street/track tires. I took heed of that, but I ran my Q2's anyway.

First session, I missed. Late registering, had to loosen my chain and a couple other adjustments for Inspection. No worries. B and A group were combined so my C group was up for 2nd session quick enough.

So I lined up in the back of pit lane and let most everyone go out first.
Turn one- stay clear to the right, turn 2 start getting a little speed and watching the lines of a couple guys in front of me. It's 180 degree turn so takes a bit to get thru it. A couple more left and rights, and then Turn 5 is a hard apex at the lip of a little hill, then it drops down to the right into a semi gentle sweeper. Nothing like the corkscrew at Leguna Seca, but you get the picture.
Then 6, 7 and 8 - very fast! 4th and 5th gear. I'm not sure how fast but over 100 mph. Turn 10 and 11 are fun too, 10 is mild-short straight then 11 tightens up. The straight stretch coming to the finish line and on into turn 1 is long. I hit 130 a couple times later on.

I got to do 5 sessions. Second session, I asked an instructor to let me follow him around the track for 2 laps. We did, then he had me pull over in pit lane, and ride 2-up with him. HolyShit!!! I about soiled myself the first lap, but the second lap I was able to take in some tof the things he was doing, namely how late you can brake. Then he dropped me back off at my bike and finished the session feeling pretty good about coming back out for the next sessions. My 3rd and 4th were so phenomenal! I was picking up speed more and more, and getting comfortable with the brake and shifting markers I was learning, and I think I was hanging off a decent amount when appropriate.

Then Session 5. It's pretty hot now, 90F degrees outside so the track was pretty warm. I'm guessing maybe 130 or so? Maybe more. Warmed up the tires on the first lap, started pushing a little faster, and trying to learn turns 10 and 11 better. It's easy to go wide. Anyway, I'm in the apex of turn 11, nuetral throttle, just getting ready to accelerate a tiny bit out of the apex, had a lot of lean, and BAM - front washes out! My bike lowsides and I was already close to the ground so I didn't drop very far and hit the track on my left side and rolled on my back. The bike and me skidded into the gravel. That was quite a sensation. I guess I slid for about 25 feet or so, half on the track and half on the gravel.

So I did what they said that morning in the safety meeting - leave the bike and get away from the track until an instructor comes around. He did pretty quick, and of course there were yellow flags. We checked out my bike, it was operational and it started ok, so I rode it back to the pit.

That was around 2;30pm., I pretty much just chilled for a while, gathered my thoughts and then went and filed the accident form. I got a lot of good conversation from some of the crew at PTT about how and what happened.
In the end, I think I had the wrong tires for those conditions and possibly they were heat-cycled out and just gave out on me. I also think I don't have enough experience to know the tell-tale signs of the tires were getting sketchy.
From now on I will only run track tires at the track. Not going to take that chance again.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

These pictures were taken in the morning, I was still pretty tight then...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Glad your okay...nice pics too.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Hey John.
Glad your alright buddy.
Had a little too much fun did ya
Sorry to hear about the bike, again.

"sent from the duck pond"

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post

And I was worried about a little wear on the mids.....

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Madbuyer, sorry I cracked up the mid and can already. But now I got Track Satos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckhunter View Post
Hey John.
Glad your alright buddy.
Had a little too much fun did ya
Sorry to hear about the bike, again.

"sent from the duck pond"
OHHHHHH YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH

You know what, everytime you hear someone say, 1 day at the track will teach you things you can never learn on the street - it's true!
I won't ride the same now.

I really really really had a blast and plan on doing this more. A lot more!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the addiction. I had a mint RC when I started now it's far from mint but I'm getting every dime I payed for it out of it. Glad your not hurt give it another try the track is the best place to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode