Crutchlow moves to Ducati for 2014. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Crutchlow moves to Ducati for 2014.

It's official now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23536326

I guess it was the obvious career move based on the lack of current choices. Clearly unlikely he'd get a factory ride from Yamaha any time soon and he needs to be making some serious money, but I hope Audi injects some serious money & the Ducati becomes a competitive bike next year. Crutchlow deserves a proper bike!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Good luck to Cal. He'll need it since the current Ducati is stuck in a rut per Dovi.
http://superbikeplanet.com/2013/Aug/130801b.htm
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Yeah, there's no doubt the Ducati needs serious improvement. I can't help thinking it's the frame's design or lack of it (frame). If you make a monocoque chassi'd car too stiff, there's a point it will cause it's forgiveness on the limit to diminish. I think a similar effect happens by making the engine the main component of the structure but I'm sure Ducati know exactly what the problem is if it's really the frame. But with so much investment into this area, they cannot go back to a conventional frame, as that would be a huge marketing own-goal.

Both Dovi & Crutchlow deserve a serious bike to show what they're really capable of (Well Dovi already had the chance and he blew it! ).

All IMHO of course.

Stoner was / is an amazing rider. He had always raced bikes with problems at the beginning of his career, because his parents couldn't afford to provide better but he was still a champion. Perhaps this is why he could tame the Ducati (...sometimes). Hopefully Crutchlow has a bit of the same skills to ride around problems as Stoner, but he might break a few bones trying to go fast on the Duc.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 08-01-2013 at 10:08 PM.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:05 PM

Ducati did go back to a conventional spar frame a while ago.
It's better, but still has major issues that they haven't found or cured yet.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I stand corrected. Thanks Sub.

Hmm, no idea why it's still such an evil bike compared to the rest on the limit then.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:18 PM

They still haven't found what the issues are.
Sometimes you just can't band-aid a bad design.
Witness the Aprilia Cube. A forerunner of today's bikes, but too much cutting edge tech for it's time.
Today, it would probably fit right in.

And Yamaha today announced Pol Espargaro at Tech3 next year.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Honestly, I think he has a better shot at winning races on the satellite Yamaha than the factory Ducati.

I haven't been watching the last couple months, so barring any of those races (don't tell me, I have them all saved for later!) When was the last time a Ducati even podiumed? I think there was one or two top five finishes in the last couple seasons?

Cal is taking a gamble, and I hope it works out for him. I personally think it's too big of a gamble, unless he was able to get something in his contract to the effect of "Audi will spend as much money as they need to, in order to fix this POS, or I walk with the full contract payment."

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Honestly, I think he had a better shot at winning races on the satellite Yamaha than the factory Ducati.
Corrected that for you.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
I thought I had read somewhere that Ducati had shifted some ballast back to the front end of the bike to get some better front end feel as well . Riders said it was better , but not there yet . As for next year , you probably remember seeing Dovi out in practice on the " new and improved 2014 chassis and the front end washed out and the bike was totaled

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
As I mentioned in another thread, I read an article where Nicky explained what happened to Duc. They were using a different frame than the Japaneese bikes and were tuning the bike through the custom tires that were available to them. Once GP went to the "Spec" tires, the tires chosen we the ones that worked best for the majority of the bikes on the paddock (not Duc). That left Duc with tires that did not work on their bike, and also eliminated the usual way that they used to tune the chassis. They have now redesigned the entire chassis and hope to convert to it next year. Recent tests have shown that the current chassis is still faster, although the new frame promises to more adjustable by means other than tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode