Stock paint job question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Stock paint job question

I recently purchased a 2000 SP1 that had been resprayed all silver. Turns out the gas tank leaked, so Honda kindly replaced the tank under a "good faith" warranty! Now since the new tank has the stock paint red/silver/wings I'd like to re-paint the side fairings and go back to the stock paint job. I've order the wing graphic kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281142863828...84.m1438.l2649) but have a few questions.

A) On the factory fairings, are the wing decals/RVT etc. clear coated over?
B) The decal kit appears to have a red/black triangle that goes under the front turn signals, is this how the stock bike is set up?
C) My local paint store can't look up the colors when I give them Winning Red R258, and Force Silver Metallic NH411M. Does anyone know if there is another code (car?) that will match?

Thanks, Greg in Seattle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The decals are not clear coated over.

Just looked at my 02. The red/black triangle is one decal with both colors. The side fairing is 100% red with black wings (and other ones on top of that) and up on the very top front, one small silver decal to match the front fairing silver.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
on the fairings the decals are at the surface, no clearcoat over them, the tank's decals are clearcoated on as you will notice though, i doubt any car code will match, pretty sure you can order the paint online, i'm kinda at the same point as you, my painters found the code but i think he's having to buy more than he needs when its being made up as its not a common colour, can't comment on the decal kit itself as i have a UK bike with different livery, we didnt have any silver on ours, just red.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Excellent - thanks! Just the info I needed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqeedo View Post
I recently purchased a 2000 SP1 that had been resprayed all silver. Turns out the gas tank leaked, so Honda kindly replaced the tank under a "good faith" warranty! Now since the new tank has the stock paint red/silver/wings I'd like to re-paint the side fairings and go back to the stock paint job. I've order the wing graphic kit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281142863828...84.m1438.l2649) but have a few questions.

A) On the factory fairings, are the wing decals/RVT etc. clear coated over?
B) The decal kit appears to have a red/black triangle that goes under the front turn signals, is this how the stock bike is set up?
C) My local paint store can't look up the colors when I give them Winning Red R258, and Force Silver Metallic NH411M. Does anyone know if there is another code (car?) that will match?

Thanks, Greg in Seattle
1 question, does the honda wing on the gas tank have gold edging? Mine does, and I had the notorious leak. I had no idea Honda might cover that, so I asked a dealership about 1 year after I had my tank fixed by a good welder. They said no way. Been altered. Dammit. Oh well, gas tank hasn't leaked a drop since my welder fixed it.
No clear coat over the plastics, but, clearcoat over the graphics on the gas tank.
Don't understand your question B.
The paint is Colorite. Your painter can't get it? Anyone can get it. Colorite.com

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Paint etc... go here http://www.rc51.org/

Be careful and use a 2000 for your graphic template, there are subtle differences in the wing configuration.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

My leaking tank was repainted all silver by PO. But it does have the gold wing outlines.
I've considered going with the colorite paint. I'm painting this myself and if I can get a match from my local auto body paint store it will only cost me $60 for the paint vs. $300 or so from colorite.

Last edited by Torqeedo; 08-16-2013 at 01:22 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Jondog, if you look under the front turn signal, there is an area where there is a red and black triangle area on the silver fairing. he didn't know if it was stickers or what. On my 02 it is a single two color sticker applied over the silver.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just found out my tank is leaking and has a recall. how long ago did you get your new tank? someone just told me they have no new tanks and there is a ten year cap on the recall tank. thanks for your time
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I just got the new tank August 13. It appears that in the U.S. there was never a recall, but depending upon your dealer service manager and the regional Honda warranty rep they can sometimes do one in good faith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode