New Helmet time! Help... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
New Helmet time! Help...

Ok so I've read some of the stuff on here regarding RidersDiscount on helmets but want to know what you guys use.

I have previously owned an Arai Quantum E Mick Doohan replica which was pretty much my first helmet and I loved it. Pricey when it came out but can you put a price on your noggin? (head). No.

So I also owned a Simson Bandit Helmet which looked pretty bad ass in flat black with an iridium visor that matched my bikes screen. Geeky i know. lol But looked great and wasn't too terrible at speed.

I always use earplugs when I ride but would prefer something quiet. I kinda like the look of the Icons but don't know about their safety record. Shoie is no doubt a great helmet company but maybe because I already had Arai I'm leaning to them.

I have an AGV that I 'borrowed' from someone its ok, and yes I know I know I shouldn't use someone else's...

So give me your thoughts I don't want to spend anything over about $400 ideally...

Last edited by Rossco; 02-14-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Helmets are such a personal choice on style and look. Even before that fit is the most important.

As you mentioned, buy the best you can for your head. My top two helmet brand suggestions to the masses are Arai and Shoei, and interestingly they both have somewhat different fits. Some heads fit Arai best, some Shoei.

I've trird and owned many other less expensive helmets with some enjoyment (e.g., suomy, hjc, bell). Shoei doesn't fit me as well as Arai, so Arai it is for me at the top.

While I'm all for Arai, Simpson not so much. Reminds me of the stig on bbc. I like to be a little more individual.

I bought the following to match the RC51 colors and have an in-your-face design (had more plain designs and some more pop designs, I like designs that pop). Love it. This is an RX-Q and it is a similar helmet shape to the Quantum you have. Either way, check out the RX-Q options for you if the Quantum e fit well. This pic has crazy zoom capability. Enjoy.

I've also had the top of the line corsair / RX7 helmets. Great helmet, going without saying. But note with the extra air flow comes notably more noise. Personally, I prefer the Q on the street, the corsair on the track (where on a hot day airflow is king), but graphics above all else.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 02-14-2014 at 10:26 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Many many years ago I had an Icon helmet when the company was still relatively new (or so I remember)...not a bad helmet but I think there are better options. Although my memory of the helmet is now about 10yrs old.

I recently purchased a "cheap" Scorpion Helmet and have been pretty impressed considering the price point. Snell and DOT approved, quiet and comfortable.

Not sure how people feel about the video reviews by STG or Revzilla, but they seem to be pretty useful.

Also had another helmet just before the Icon (HJC I think)...held up well in my crash.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
Helmets are such a personal choice on style and look. Even before that fit is the most important.

As you mentioned, buy the best you can for your head. My top two helmet brand suggestions are Arai and Shoei, and interestingly they both have somewhat different fits. Some heads fit Arai best, some Shoei. They are my top two suggestions to the masses.

I've owned others, shoei doesn't fit me as well as Arai, so Arai it is for me..

I'm all for Arai. Simson not so much. Reminds me of the stig on bbc. I like to be a little more individual.

I bought the following to match the RC51 colors and have an in-your-face design (had more plain designs and some more pop designs, I like designs that pop). Love it. This is an RX-Q and it is a similar helmet shape to the Quantum you have. Either way, check out the RX-Q options for you if the Quantum e fit well. This pic is of awesome zoom capability. Enjoy.

I've also had the top of the line corsair / RX7 helmets. Great helmet, going without saying. But note with the extra air flow comes notably more noise. Personally, I prefer the Q on the street, the corsair on the track (where on a hot day airflow is king), but graphics above all else.
Wow I love the look of that, you are right, fit first details later, I like your style sir. I'll look into those. RX-Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyrauchrc51 View Post
Many many years ago I had an Icon helmet when the company was still relatively new (or so I remember)...not a bad helmet but I think there are better options. Although my memory of the helmet is now about 10yrs old.

I recently purchased a "cheap" Scorpion Helmet and have been pretty impressed considering the price point. Snell and DOT approved, quiet and comfortable.

Not sure how people feel about the video reviews by STG or Revzilla, but they seem to be pretty useful.

Also had another helmet just before the Icon (HJC I think)...held up well in my crash.
Scorpion is one Id forgotten about and now that reminds me of Shark helmets. Thanks Weyraunch
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I have a Shoei RF 1100 and a Bell RS1 and a Scorpion EXO 1000

Arai helmets are great but I can get just as much fit and finish out of the Shoei.

Bell has come a very long way and the fit and finish reminds me of a Shoei. I have been wearing my RS1 for over a year now and its a very good lid.

I bought the Scorpion as a back up or spare helmet. It is a very nice lid too.

My personal rating is as follows:

1) Arai- owned a Nicky Wired
2) Shoei-several
3) OGK-Never but these are very light and great quality
4) Bell- Current helmet RS1
5) Shark - Never owned one but many of my friends swear by them
6) AGV- Same as #5

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Madbuyer, Thats a good list, I was looking at the Bell on the forum for sale

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...ghlight=helmet

but i don't like the yellow and not sure if he can do other colors.. Price would be good if he could.

I really need to go and try a few on again and remind myself what a good fit is.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I know Rider's Discount were offering the Shoei X12 Katayama 2 recently. http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g125179039
Looks a great design. (If interested do a search and you'll find their thread).

I used to have Arai helmets, but went to a Shoei and have never looked back. I prefer the quick release visor design without side plates and find Shoei a better fit.
I recently replaced all the interior of my X-11, which is another bonus as it rejuvenated an otherwise well used helmet. Great that Shoei sells these parts. I think Arai does too - TBH.

Was tempted to get a Simpson for my supermoto project, but probably won't. Not the same quality as a Shoei, really... (Or an Arai).

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I prefer the quick release visor design without side plates and find Shoei a better fit.
^+1, another option that is a benefit

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Thanks Madbuyer, Thats a good list, I was looking at the Bell on the forum for sale

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...ghlight=helmet

but i don't like the yellow and not sure if he can do other colors.. Price would be good if he could.

I really need to go and try a few on again and remind myself what a good fit is.
Hey, I have this helmet! Haha. I didnt like the hi-viz yellow at first, but it grew on me quite a bit. More for safety reasoning. As for quality, I have no complaints so far. I get plenty of airflow when needed and no air leaking in with the vents closed. My previous helmets used to leak air in from the neck area, but the rs1 covers the neck more to block it from sneaking in. I got the bell breath mask to help with "fogging" in cold weather and it seems to do the trick, although I haven't ridden without the mask so couldnt compare. Not the quietest helmet, but Im wearing earplugs anyway so whatever. Lastly, they make the helmet in a flat black color scheme thats going for $220 and a very slick white color scheme, but thats still at retail price of $400.

'08 HD Dyna FatBob
'03 RC51 #153 - fastest RC ever built - SOLD
'03/13 BOTM - thx every1!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode