Throttle issue-any ideas please - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Throttle issue-any ideas please

I own a 2001 sp1, banzi low pipes and PCIII with Dan Kyle map. At the track last year I noticed a hesitation at about 7500RPM or flat spot, it was pretty pronounced, but that was without the PCIII but I did have the Sato pipes on. The PCIII has helped a bit but there still is that flat spot. I do have just under 16000 on her and I will be having the valves adjusted but that wouldn't contribute to that annoying flat spot, would it? I am leaning towards a fuel/ air mixture issue. Any help or suggestions on the matter would be most appreciated

Thank you
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Aftermarket pipes without a power commander, the problem could possibly be a lean spot.
I'd have thought it would be earlier on in the power band, but each pipe is different.
When you have your bike mapped, get a a before and after charting of the air/fuel ratio.
That may point to your loss of power or misfire, which can definitely happen if it gets too lean.
As the fuel/air ratio leans out you'll start to plateau or lose power, and if it continues to lean out, it will start misfiring.
What you're wanting is a 13.2:1 air/fuel ratio for max power.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

lean spot

Thanks for the reply, as I think back the flat spot got worse as the day progressed, (hotter) that makes sense due to hotter temps. that would make the flat spot more pronounced but the PCIII from dan kyle has the map made for SP-1 with sato low mounts, I thought that would take care of that little blip, like I said it is much less pronounced now that I have the map but still there ever so slightly. I will call and talk to them about that, perhaps they can steer me down the correct path.

Thanks again
Cheers Mate

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The only way to be sure is to put the bike on a dyno and map it for your bike.
Downloading a map and installing at best puts you near the ball park, not in it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Did you try reloading the map. If the map IS from DK, it should be good. Did you get it direct or someone gave you the map?

I would load just a base line stock map and see how the bike acts. If its too bad, check for leaks in the air box.

Lean spots don't "just" happen unless something has changed.

Here in Indy a custom map is $150....small price to pay for performance.

Good Luck.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, yes I did buy the PCIII new from Dan Kyle, i do know that in order to have a proper tune you do need a custom map just for your bike because no two are alike. Unfortunately the only shop that has a dyno is the Ducati dealership and I would rather lick a turkish urinal than take it to them, I doubt they could see me coming they have there noses so high up in the air. Enough said about those clowns. All this will have to wait as the thumper is about to undergo cosmetic surgery so It will be a bit before that is all finished, I was hopping that by some small chance I could sort that out sooner than later. Again thanks to all for your input
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Hey, is your fuel pump making funny noises when you turn the bike on? Have you recently switched out tanks?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
A partially restricted filter will usually pass enough fuel to keep the engine running at idle or low speed, but may starve the engine for fuel at higher speeds or loads. So your engine may run fine putting around town, but sputter and lack power when you try to drive at highway speeds or pass someone.
This is from http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques073_5.html.

This might be the answer to your problem. But if your pump is makin' funny noises like mine is, you might have to replace your pump.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

No I haven't changed the tank and my fuel pump sounds normal when I flip the switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode