Too good to be true? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too good to be true?

Ok guys I need your help. After wanting to be the owner of a RC51 for about a decade, I have decided to pull the trigger. I have two main candidates but need your opinions on which one you would take. The price is about the same.

Candidate #1 (black)
23,000 mi.
flapper mod, cam silencer mod,
New tires, chain, sprocket
Yosh exhaust system(full)

Candidate #2 (stock colors)
6,700 mi
LeoVince pipes(slip ons I think)
rough cosmetically

High mile 01 vs a low mileage 03. Sounds pretty easy but the 01 is in much better shape and has been looked after by a gear head. The 03 is much more of a mystery. Is 23,000 mi a lot for this bike? Are the differenced between SP-1 and SP-2 very significant? Input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1107   Click image for larger version

Name:	2003.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1108  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 AM

Hello, personaly I would go for the stock colours if all it needs is plastic.
I am not sure about the paint job on the 01 bike, I would have to ask why was it painted? has this bike also been dropped at some point?
As for differences between the bikes yes there is, for me the main difference is the swing arm the later RC51's had a much better looking item.
Either way I think you should look very closely at both bikes and ask why the 01 has been painted and what else will be needed to put the 03 back on the road, radiators are not cheap.
Take it easy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Easy choice for me. I would have to see them in person tho for a definate answer: I'd keep looking. Unless the price is LOW. How much they asking? I agree with Bartman, why was the 01 painted? And 23k is getting up there in milage compared to what I've seen avilable in the last year. Generaly speaking, I recommend a SP2. Main reason is aftermarket support. It's hard to find SP1 specific parts. But I think all years of plastics interchange.

I jacked this from one of my previous posts,
"If I were looking for another one, now that I've gone thru a decent learning curve with my sp1, definatly go for an sp2, 2002 & up. Way more parts availability. And a few significant factory upgrades, like swingarm, improved suspension, bigger throttle bodies with way better injectors, a little more horsepressure/torque, and a little lighter."

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
One more thought, I'm not a gearhead, more of an information gatherer/shade tree mechanic. But the more I understand how my machine works, and my ability to fix it, the more I push that machine to it's limits, or sometimes beyond...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

They have both been crashed. The 01 has been completely repaired. The 03 has not. I acutally like the 01 better but I am concerned about the mileage. The 01 would not cost any additional money to get it in street condition where the 03 has a badly damaged tank, the bodywork, radiators ect. Plus the 01 has been remapped.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM

keep looking. unless you re getting a great deal, i wouldn't feel good about getting a 23,000 mile bike even if it was taken care of meticulously. be patient, mine had 1,100 miles on it when I bought it 2 years ago.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

23K miles is nothing if it was taking care of LOL, i bought mine ('03) with 23k on it and almost 11K miles later it feels (and looks) better than ever. These engines are built like tanks so nothing wrong with a 23k miles on it. Hey mcwag, i'll be riding mine down to Va Beach once it warms up here in WV a lot, wife lives down there maybe we can ride up.

James

2003 Honda RC51 - 46K+
----------------------------------
PCIIIr, SATO low mount C/F, hotbodies undertail, SATO F/S, CRG shorty BRK & CLTCH levers, Magical Racing C/F speedo cover and rear hugger, HRC clutch & F Brake sock covers, Galfer SS lines all around, pair valve mod
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Move along there are better bikes out ther....better yet, buy both part them out and buy one really good one.

Both spell danger to me. Sorry.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM

dont sweat the mileage on the motor but look how everything else is condition wise. Just got my valves checked still in spec at 20,000. People on here with 40,000 miles! remember its a honda. I had to buy mine roached out so dont feel bad. rebuilding it will make you love the bike that much more. Nobody short of hayden and edwards can feel the difference between the sp1 and 2

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode