RC51 Forums banner

Should Full Leathers Match Your Bike?

4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  SA Heat 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to order some full leathers and am really wondering if I need to try and match the bike's colors, over just going black, which would be much easier to keep clean. Any thoughts?:cool:

#2 ·
Nope, i actually prefer my stuff not to match my bikes. As long as it's not yellow or light blue i'll use it. Go for function not fashion.

#8 ·
I am right with you Paul. I sold my custom ZX7 to my buddy as I was buying my RC... 9 YEARS AGO !

Anyways... I had full green/white/black leathers with helmet/gloves and boots to match the ol'cow at the time... my RC was Red/Black/silver Sp1 paint scheme and I rocked the mis matched gear.

I actually had a few guys that commented saying " test riding the RC Eh ? " LOL !! :rolleyes::D

DHC

#4 ·
Definitely go for function. Personally I think matching leathers gets a little over the top. Classic black is always a good choice. The only downside is the huge heat factor that comes with black gear, but I have chosen to deal with it over looking like a storm trooper in all white.

#6 ·
ABSOLUTELY,
your leathers have to match your bike and if they don't paint your bike black.
Buy the best leathers you can afford. If you are a reasonable size. A good set of used higher grade leathers in good shape are a good purchase.
If and or when you end up on the ground you are going to wish you have the best leather possible.

#7 · (Edited)
I'd get something that at least complements the bike a bit. Full green leathers on a stock color RC51 is ugly.

I don't know why function over form is any issue. It isn't like a matching suit has no function. There are so many options available out there so it is easy to find a suit in your price range that at least complements the bike a little without sacrificing form.

All black is too hot, as mentioned. All white is too hard to keep clean. Consider a few complementing and contrasting colors to get some variety and not a total oven mode. If your 03 is still stock colors, red, black and silver is easy to work with. If I had a black RC, I'd consider a white/black combo suit, with enough white not to sweat out in heat.

I've owned and raced budget leathers, and had top of the line italian made leathers. Both worked for me. Buy a brand name or something known and what fits your budget.

Are you going one or two piece. I've owned both and prefer one piece even on the street.

#9 ·
Always buy black and red, whatever the color of the bike. I just like black and red.:)

To be honest; whatever floats your boat I guess, if we all looked the same and all that!

All black gets a bit warm in the sun, but we don't get much of that over here.

#10 ·
Where I live it does get rather warm, so maybe mixing it up would make sense. It does seem too that if your leathers DO mach the bike, you look like you had enough money to make the match "happen".

#11 ·
I bought a used Spidi suit a few years ago, got it for 250 and it has been great. Just needed a new set of pucks and it was good to go. I like 1 piece suits best but sometimes the 2 piece suits come in handy for road trips and short trips around town where i may be getting off the bike a lot.

#12 ·
I went with contrasting color. I felt all black would be cliche and too hot. although i think the red compliments the black RC perfectly without being gaudy:cool:

#15 ·
Late to the conversation, but I'll chime in. I don't think the colors need to match, wear and ride the colors you like.

I use a two-piece, Alpinestars jacket and Frank Thomas pants that zip together (track legal). All of it is black/white, but the jacket is well vented so it doesn't get super hot. Besides, when you're moving it isn't a problem.

#16 ·
Well, I have a one piece black and white and gray Fieldsheer leathers coming. They don't match the bike (except the black), but then again my Arai helmet doesn't match the bike either being blue and white.

I remember the roads in Germany well. Great place for an RC51.

#25 ·
Definitely not.... And not to mention I have been known to poke fun at people who match. It's like then parents who match their kids outfits top to bottom. Wee bit excessive lol. Stick with a neutral color
It doesn't take much to match the bike, by coordination or by contrast, and have it work across multiple bikes. And to make fun of people who match is sour grapes, the lesser man's fruit. Personally, I'd never make fun of any fellow man or woman had a terrible contrast suit, nor anyone who over-matched.

The color doesn't matter when it hits the pavement.
True dat.

#20 · (Edited)
I got a great deal on the leathers too. $195.00 shipped. This suit also has really good ventilation, which is a must for me cause I hate to sweat.
I'm doing really good guys....with Two Brothers pipes, and leathers, I'm still in UNDER $3,500 on the bike (not to mention a dozen extra parts that came with). I added up all the extras I got with the bike and I ended up with just a little of 2k for the bike.

Attachments

#22 ·
Nice suit!
White matches with everything :)

I don't match, yet.
Well I guess if you count the HRC decals.
Soon I'll have blue carbon goodies!
Matching is important, but expensive!
Bought these leathers for the last bike
But then again, I don't try to be trendy.
When I get another set, I'll just go for white with black trim.

Attachments

#26 ·
LOL That's right because it's gunna turn black anyway. :D

My leathers are all black for the street, and my track 2 piece totally matches my bike. I also wear a nice black and white Astars textile jacket that matches my GP plus gloves. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.