RC questions about buying. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RC questions about buying.

Hello all,

First I want to apologize in advance if this is the wrong area to post, been a lurker but never posted anything before.

Anyways, I have been wanting an RC-51 ever since I got my motorcycle license but more preferably, a 2005-06 simply due to the color scheme. Now I have recently got back into scouring Craigslist and dealerships and I found a 2005 on Craigslist for $4k.

Now here is the scoop on the bike and where I need help in whether this is somewhat of a decent deal or whether I should pass it up. Bike has 16.5k miles, clean and clear title, has been "dropped" which we all know is up for debate when it comes to bikes but, the damage includes scrapes the size of my fist on the gas tank, left fairing has scrapes, and the upper fairing that surrounds the headlights got scraped too. All parts I am willing to repair or replace, figure I would mention that but, that is also more money I am going to have to put out on the bike. PO also states otherwise then the visual damage the bike is mechanically sound and no other issues.

Now 16.5k miles on an in-line 4 I probably would look the other way. But since we are talking about the v-twin, I feel they can withstand that kind of mileage a bit better.

Bike also has aftermarket exhaust, levers, air filter, etc. which in no way entices me anymore to buy it but figured I would mention it.

Summary:
1. 2005 RC with 16.5k miles
2. clean clear title, mechanically sound
3. visual damage as stated above on the fairings and gas tank

So let me know what you all think, whether this could be a keeper or nightmare.

Also feel free to mention anything I should look for specifically pertaining to the RC if you feel that I should give this bike a chance.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Without a close inspection it is hard to suggest a price. Lots of damage can go unseen. A damaged bike really hurts resale.

Maybe you'll repair and repaint the bike but that will hurt resale as well.

I'd get a handle on comparative prices.

Do a close inspection and put a parts list together. Price out the major parts at partzilla and add $500+ for unseen damage (could easily go higher). What about exhaust? Headlight tabs? Clipon? Cosmetic scratches to the forks or swingarm? Etc.

Deduct the costs from avg used price for a clean bike in your area and go from there.

Also, imo I'd rather have a higher mileage I4 than twin.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
$4k to is high with having all that damage. If new parts were included that would be one thing. Each fairing is $400 to $500 each. Most of the little things you should be able to pick up here for a lot cheaper than new.

16.k miles is high? Than what is the 24k I'm at:what:

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
$2,800, offer that. If he doesn't take it, walk away. You can buy a cherry one for the $4K figure.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. That is my biggest issue with the price is that new OEM parts are expensive especially for two fairings and a gas tank, even more so since I am not one to cheap out on china made parts. While there is still the possibility of finding parts used or here on the forums, I may keep this bike in mind since I barely ever see 2005-06 RCs. I will do some research tonight on parts and see what I can come up with as far as getting this puppy back in shape. And hopefully I can get around to seeing it in person to see what it really entails as far as any other damage.

Mileage really isn't that much of a concern, I just always get a bit skiddish which is why I even mentioned it. I have seen some real basket cases that have barely broke the 8k mark.

But again, thanks for the heads up, I will look around tonight and see what I can find.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
$2,800, offer that. If he doesn't take it, walk away. You can buy a cherry one for the $4K figure.
Yea I may do that, I really want to see it in person before my final decision. So we will see what happens.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 PM
GWS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
For an extra $500-1000 you could buy a clean bike, but if the price is what your interested in offer him less, and be prepared to walk away for a week. I think that is what i would do. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
You can normally tell from the direction of the scratches whether it was dropped or slid while still in motion. Use that as bargaining leverage. Can you describe the gas tank damage a little better? Pics would be best.
16.5K is not high milage at all! These bikes will easy get 50 - 75k miles with proper mainenence.
But, it's due for a valve clearance inspection. that's a shop bill of around $500 + any add-on stuff your shop will want to do. Unless you do it yourself. Then it's the cost of some gaskets, a couple shims, and an oil change.
The aftermarket airfilter is worth nothing. They hurt overall power. This has been tested, discussed, dyno'ed, and disected every which way from sunday. OEM air filter is best. Period. The aftermarket exhaust: what brand is it? some are very good, some are mediocre, but any of them need a PowerCommander to correct the fuel mapping.

For more info about everything RC51, check out this page:
http://www.rc51.org/mod.htm

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Well just wanted to update I turned away, ended up being not in the condition I expected. Seems Craigslist ads tend to get fluffed up more than usual.

The damage was definitely from road rash, probably a good 20 mph slide. It had Frame sliders which probably saved it but they had definitely been replaced. But main reason I turned away was the little things that added up. To add on to the current damage, the mufflers were dinged up (some old akros, and no PowerCommander I might add), ignition looked like someone jammed a screwdriver in it, battery was toast, seat ripped, right clip-on looked crimped, overall pretty dirty. I could go on and on about things that were never mentioned before seeing it but, in the end I felt after I spent the money on genuine oem parts to get the bike in at least somewhat near showroom condition, I could just save my time and money looking for one in much better condition.

Thank you all for the information though. I appreciate the help. I am sure I will come across the right one soon, just going to take some time like with most things.

@jondog, thanks for the link, I will definitely save that, seems to have oodles of good information.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome! - I'd avoid the hassle and just buy a very nice example to begin with if you can afford it. That one sounds like a basket case (Sadly). Just keep looking, be prepared to travel or have it transported after purchase. You'll find what you want, just persevere.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode