Rear wheel installation! Help - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear wheel installation! Help

I had to remove my rear wheel to install a new rear sprocket as the old one was damaged. Got the wheel off with no problem got the new sprocket on with no problem, but I can't get this freaking thing back on if been fussing with it for about 5 hours now and I don't know what to do. When I removed the wheel I placed the side collars (spacers) and stuff on the sides of the bike they came off on. I cross referenced them with the service manual. When I try to realign everything i cannot get the rear break bracket to ling up. The Rear brake bracket boss is positioned in the swing arm grove and fully seated on the rear brake disk. However the part of the rear break bracket that the rear axle goes through just will not slide into place over the right side collar. It’s almost like there is just not enough room. I have the chain side collar placed in the correct position where the bevel is on the outside so it the narrower side slips into the wheel. Would somebody either give me step by step instructions on how to get this rear wheel back on or tell me if there is some trick that I am missing to get it back on? This is really frustrating. I need my bike as it is my main transportation right now. My truck is in the shop getting a full break job all the way around, so I can take it any ware to get it put back on. It’s a long walk to work. From what I understand this is supposed to be easy.

Any help would be extremely appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by RC51-Dream; 03-21-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Hmm, I get mad when it takes 10 minutes to put back on.. but 5 hours jeesh.
My ZX6R is a sinch, I've got that down to seconds.

I can hardly offer much good advice but I'll try.
Usually I have a 2x4 under the tire or something to prop
it up so I don't have to manually lift the tire, takes some work load off.

That spacer and brake bracket are a pain in the ass though, for sure.
I know what you mean where it looks like theres not enough room between the 2. There is.
I think what I found to work pretty well last time was, take out the right side spacer, put the caliper on the rotor/wheel.
I roll the wheel forward up against the swingarm, (you know, like shortening the wheelbase, if you will).
Pull the caliper as far back as you can and put the spacer in the wheel. (With the wheel all the way forward and the caliper all the way back, it should give enough room to put the spacer in)
If you get it on, start putting the axle through to keep the wheel in place, otherwise it'll all move and the spacer falls out again.
It's not easy, but you eventually get it.

It's early and i'm tired so apologies if this is jibberish
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
i just did a sprocket change on my SP2. for me it went smooth. i dont know what it says in the service manual or if the rear wheel will even come off with out removing the rear caliper. i know the front wont. but thats the first thing i do when taking either (front/rear) wheel off.

i dont know if this is any help, hope you get her
James

Last edited by James_03_rc; 03-21-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spell check

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yeah it's sort of a juggling act at times with the rear holding the rear wheel in alignment while inserting the axle and trying to prevent the caliper bracket from slipping out of the groove.
Some insert the axle from the left and some from the right depending on their method.
I insert mine from the left since I'm right-handed and torque the nut from that side.
I run Marchesini wheels, so the spacers are captive which helps.
Even then I usually use one hand and one foot to lift and hold the wheel up in alignment while I slide the axle in and across, then I sort of wiggle the wheel around for the axle to slide into the caliper bracket opening and into the right swingarm opening.
I then make sure the flat on the axle head is aligned with the adjuster and snug the axle nut to check alignment, then torque it down.
Also, be sure and put a little grease on the axle as makes it easier to install and remove, plus the axle has been know to corrode onto the bearings if ridden in the wet a lot.

Last edited by SubSailor; 03-21-2011 at 01:12 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Kinda reaching for straws here, cause that should be a straight forward procedure, but all I can think of is your cushdrive. I'm sure you doublechecked, but no foriegn matter in the cush-rubber pockets right? Rubber looks good? And it's in the right way?

5 hrs. huh? That explains the neighbors claims of UFO's laundhing from your garage

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Kinda reaching for straws here, cause that should be a straight forward procedure, but all I can think of is your cushdrive. I'm sure you doublechecked, but no foriegn matter in the cush-rubber pockets right? Rubber looks good? And it's in the right way?

5 hrs. huh? That explains the neighbors claims of UFO's laundhing from your garage
ya some men in black suits showed up with funny looking guns!

I got it all back together. I barrowed a floor jack from a buddy of mine used the jack to lift up the tire rather than trying to do it all by hand. After a bit of fiddling with it, I got it on with no problem. I think what happened is the tolerances are so tight that trying to juggle it all by hand just was not going to work.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51-Dream View Post
ya some men in black suits showed up with funny looking guns!

I got it all back together. I barrowed a floor jack from a buddy of mine used the jack to lift up the tire rather than trying to do it all by hand. After a bit of fiddling with it, I got it on with no problem. I think what happened is the tolerances are so tight that trying to juggle it all by hand just was not going to work.
Ya, it's a pain in the but. The trick is to sit with your but on the ground and use the toe of your foot to lift the wheel in place as your hands do the rest. Easier said than done sometimes.

RC-51 Track
SV 650 Liter Eater
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
Ya, it's a pain in the but. The trick is to sit with your but on the ground and use the toe of your foot to lift the wheel in place as your hands do the rest. Easier said than done sometimes.
I also find a lot of cussin' helps as well. But that could just be me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode