HELP on new bike....which one. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP on new bike....which one.

i am looking at buying either a 2003 with 3200 miles..some mods.exhaust-new tires-power commander.

or 2006 with 4000 miles all stock...any suggestions from anyone

the 06 is about $1000.00 more just for infomation.

what are the benefits of the newer bike or are they about the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Hhmmmmmmm

Well color is a big factor, the black bikes tend to get more money. I love my 05 and payed a premium for it but it was LOADED, 3700 miles.
Some like to by non modded bikes others feel you get more for your money if it is modded. But was it done right, you have to make that asumption from meeting the person and talking to them.
Not much help but just a few facts to look at and think about. Basically which ever one catches your eye the most and appealing to you. They will both be good bikes. Hoovy

Satos, CF Sir box & snorkel,Mr front and rear fender & dash cover, custom carbon V cowl, Black ASV levers, Power com III, Hot Bodies tail, Galfer lines, Vortex Clip ons.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

k

yea its a tough choice..i was just wondering if there is a benefit to the 06 vs the 03. whats better or if they are all about the same. i know there are some differences from sp1 to sp2 but dont know about the 03 to 06.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Ick

I vote '03. Less miles, more stuff, and more $ saved to GET more stuff. Year doesn't really matter, it's how people took care of their bikes. My '02 was uncrated and built in '05, and the original owner was a bike lover and took very good care of her.

R6
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I vote the 03 also. Milage wise, the 03 is a younger bike and it's already got a lot of the stuff you'd want to add later. But now you don't have to.

But, black is cool. probably not been tracked, and they always fetch about a grand more @ resale. Got $$$ for upgrades, cause you're gonna want a PC and exhaust at the least. Right there's a min. of $600 used, or $1000 new.

It's all preference, and HOOVY's right, get a feel for the seller and how he treated his bike. Ask lot's questions.

Good luck DucHunter!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I'm back in the hunt again too. This time the target is also an '03. Just over 8000 miles, Yoshimura pipes, one tooth up on the front sprocket and a Corbin saddle. The owner wants better than premium price for it, but if it's as clean as he says it'll certainly do provided the war dept gives me the green light. Sato's would have been nice, but he chose the Yosh because the Sato's were a hideous price. I haven't tried to talk him down yet, but I'll have to feel things out some, $1500 over 'clean' book is a bit steep, but with as hard to find as these are I doubt he'll budge.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

well its final

made my decesion....

i really wanted the 03 bikebut when i was finally able to get the guy on the phone the truth started to come out. He didnt know much about the bike at all or motorcycles in general. he recived the bike as a debt payment so he says. i asked for days for photos and he finally go them to me about a hour before i was planning on making the four hour drive. bike looked ok but not as good as the Craigslist pictures. one of the pics showed the bike fromthe bike and it looked like one of the cans was pushed in and the tag was covered in rubber from a burn out...loosing faith at this point. I asked again and again for information and he was slow to answer---even on the phone. when i was getting ready to walk out the door i said can you tell me the exact mileage...he said yea 34,661...WHAT..thats a bit different than 3200. This guy is a joke so beware if you are looking on Craigslist in St. Augustine,FL.

At this point i was soooooo pissed, that made my choice. i worked out a meeting time with the 06 rc(m3Collins as listed in classified section here). Got in my truck and drove 3.5 hours north to pick up the new ride.Great bike. spot on details. Super great guy to deal with. Very happy with my choice. As everyone stated before just make the call on the person that owned it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
You need to change your name to duchunter51 now. Nicely done! Post pics, unless you already did in another thread?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
You need to change your name to duchunter51 now. Nicely done! Post pics, unless you already did in another thread?
here is a pic of it just loaded up when i bought it. The 52 in my name has always been my race number since i was little.

Photo of it after being home for a couple of hours with all the DOT items removed.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM

beautiful bike, just make sure you do something about that exhaust.. looks pretty bad this way.

2003 ZZR1200 - Galfer Lines, EBC HH Pads, Corbin Beetle Bags and Seat, Genmar Risers, Muzzy Full System. - Street.

2007 RSV1000R - Penske triple clicker, Ohlins forks, Ohlins steering damper, Leo Vince titanium full system, race ECU, Brembo mono-blocks, Braided lines, Race battery, etc.. - Track whore.

2004 Hemi Durango - Tow duty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode