True Top Speed? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
True Top Speed?

Yesterday I had the luxury of doing an all-out top speed run with a radar gun. One of the local privatly owned air ports decided to have a top speed day. They opened up their strip to all vehicles to see how fast you can go. Well I know my speedo is off by about 12 % or so. I have taken this bike to top speed before but never really paid attention as to what the speedo said. About half way down the air strip i glanced down and my speedo was pinned on 167 mph. I was like wow cool. Iíve always hurd they do around 170 ish. I am also 260 lb. I was thinking man this is really fast! Once I got back to the make shift pit they told me that the maximum speed I hit was 147mph. I was like O. Then I thought well maybe I did not click it into 6th gear or something. Next run 146, then 148, 147, ect all in the 146-148 range. This was taken by two just certified radar guns. Now maybe they are off but I was rather shocked all this time I thought I was going at least 160 mph when going flat out. Kind of disappointing but hey its still very very fast. I am pretty sure my bike is stock geared. I am going to pull the front sprocket cover and take a look my rear is a 40t I just put it on. Iím in the process of trying to lose 50 or so pounds. We will see how it goes next time if I can drop the weight by then.

Still a wicked rush to go that fast on a bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 PM

thats about right. i love hearing people say my 600 tops out at 170! im like buddy have you ever heard of speedo error? not implying your a squid of coarse. remember these were built to race against the 750s and the ducks not the latest liter bikes. just imagine if they would have continued with it like the ducatis. a 1200cc RC with the latest tech

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I don't call the clock a "dreamometer" for nothing. Never ceased to amaze me how when I would leave someone in the dust on my ST that they were doing 150+ at the time, yeah right.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

'04 with 15/41

GPS verified topped out at 160 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode