New personal top speed record, gotta love Germany - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
New personal top speed record, gotta love Germany

Evening, everyone,

If there is one thing everyone knows about Germany, it is that much of the highway system has no speed limit. A guy straddling a severely unbalanced power:weight ratio could really get to liking that.

I hit 282km/h (about 174mph) on the speedo last week (and yes, the fact that it was 100% legal made it that much more enjoyable). Not surprisingly, I ran out of safe running room before the bike ran out of oomph. She coulda gone faster. If memory serves, I was somewhere just over 9k rpm, but honestly I don't know becuz I had my eyes focused as far ahead of me as my depth perception would let me look.

This bike is ridiculous, I am officially addicted. I know that becuz of tire flex and instrument inaccuracy and all that, that I probably wasn't truly going that fast, but good god, Hunter S. Thompson was right. Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

2006 Black Edition SP2
- Stickerless black...giggity
- Assorted stone chips
- Multicolor bug splats, updated weekly
- Custom boot scratches and crash marks on the tailpiece
- Scuffed bar weights & brake lever from asphalt acrobatics
- Road grime under the fender and tail
- Leo Vince exhaust
- Otherwise OEM, not gonna make BOTY any time soon

HOE-LEE SHEE-YIT, the TORQUE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
15-42 Brainerd International !.3 mile sraight 6th gear on the limiter then you keep looking right and leave it pinned until you enter turn two lather rinse repeat
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I've had mine very close to the rev limit on the straight at Fuji Speedway, but never really looked at the speed. Just the braking markers ready for the hairpin at the end.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I sure miss speeding down the Autobahn. I am itching to see top end myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of new-17.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	51193  

If your RC51 doesn't bring you to your knees, you are not a righteous man...lol.

Last edited by RC46; 03-20-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Don't touch the yellow stripes of death.......slicker than a minnow dick they are!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:39 PM

I hear you....and double yellow for 40 miles...plus gravel and sand in places. Going fast there is like doing the TT. At times I used both lanes (when I can see ahead). My last run I had deer flying every direction on both sides of the road. Those Two Brother's pipes are great for cleaning the road ahead.

If your RC51 doesn't bring you to your knees, you are not a righteous man...lol.

Last edited by RC46; 03-19-2014 at 10:41 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Before the French got draconian and discovered speed traps we used to make sure we emptied a tank with the throttle on the stop at least once, i remember passing a police car ten or more of us in a line, he didn't bat an eye. (sigh) the good old days
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
The fastest I've seen mine go is on the way downhill into the Tokyo Bay Aqualine (Half bridge / half underground tunnel). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Bay_Aqua-Line

There is a steep hill going into the tunnel. I can't remember what the setting was on the speedo-healer at the time or if it was accurate but it showed 299 km/h and wouldn't go more. I'm not that bothered about maximum speed. Acceleration braking & handling are more the focus...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Morning,

First, I have to say how much I already love this forum, the very fact that not a single safety lecture appeared following my post, combined with a half-dozen fellow confirmations of going plaid (bonus points for those who get that reference), makes the heart smile. So thanks

Second, I wonder rhetorically, just how fast are these things? Strictly rhetorical, something for the speed freaks to daydream about

As a final note, just how slippery is a minnow dick

2006 Black Edition SP2
- Stickerless black...giggity
- Assorted stone chips
- Multicolor bug splats, updated weekly
- Custom boot scratches and crash marks on the tailpiece
- Scuffed bar weights & brake lever from asphalt acrobatics
- Road grime under the fender and tail
- Leo Vince exhaust
- Otherwise OEM, not gonna make BOTY any time soon

HOE-LEE SHEE-YIT, the TORQUE!!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Being raised on the Autobahn, I like SPEED and love twisting the throttle, but it seems for the most part, going fast on an RC51 is looked down on in most places. "Save it for the track" they say. So we are to go slow on the RC 51 unless we save up enough money to spend time on some track for a few hours. I personally believe it's all cultural. In America and other countries where there are police that are more than happy to give out tickets and punish people, fast riders are looked at as "idiots". Why they endanger other people. All cultural thinking. You don't hear that in Germany. If you blow by someone at 299kmph, they say, "Wow, that guy is fast".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode