Sore Wrists? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Sore Wrists?

This was a great group of posts that I pulled from another thread.
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42746
or you can click on the little left arrow directly behind the Original Posters quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
When riding down hill and cornering Miguel's handle bar angle is much more comfortable on the wrists, I also notice this when riding back home as we filtered along a lot of slow moving traffic. I ended up getting a little pins and needles in my hands, a little strange as I never felt this riding before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Atif View Post
Hey, Carlos !
Thanks ever so much for posting your thoughts & comments. Your bike is KILLER ! I almost called Simon, after looking at that stunning exhaust !

The reason you're having those symptoms in your hands is because you're putting your upper body weight on your wrists, with the way you are seated on the bike. These are symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, as a result of the compression of the Median Nerve, as it passes under the flexor retinaculum sheath at the wrist.
You should grip the fuel tank with your thighs & bend your elbows & keep them parralel to the tank (touch the tank with your elbows to remind you to correct their angle, if needed), & lightly rest your hands on the handlebars. The hands should be used for steering inputs only & not be used to support the weight of your upper body on the bike.
You may use splints at your wrists to immobilize them at night, when you sleep, if it's a problem after a ride, although this is a temporising measure & does not address the cause/mechanism of the injury. Hopefully, with the change in your posture, this problem will be relegated to the past.

Take Care, Carlos.
- Atif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Atif View Post
I neglected to also mention that one should use their abdominal muscles & obliques (muscle), to support the upper body.
One may use different exercises to strengthen the abdominals & obliques to great affect to help support the upper body on a Sportbike.
I'm no workout fanatic by any means. I've had periods in my life where I hit the gym hard for a year or three, I have some workout equipment in my home too.
But you don't need any of that really. If you do bicycle crunches, at least 25 a day, (build up to 100), for three or four days a week, you may find that to be enough to have a strong core and be able to have better endurance on our beloved RC51. Throw in some jump-rope, lunges, and push-ups, and you'll see a huge difference in endurance.
*Muhammad Atif is our resident forum MD, and a very, very good friend to some of us here.*

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I am preparing for my trip now. Cardiovascular first, then core work out. This pony keg I'm carrying around is making me less aerodynamic and will cost me sweet seconds when traversing across the nation.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Might I add, a set of Stomp grips help a lot here too.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Some of you "older" guys can also implement this into your RC PT plan...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1397007583.883646.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	54298

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Might I add, a set of Stomp grips help a lot here too.
Word! .

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'd add that fitting an uprated link to the rear and re-working forks can make the rear higher than std and the front lower. This is what happened to mine, even after fitting Ohlins forks I think the front is still lower than I started out with. Anyways, fitting adjustable clip ons has made the riding position more comfortable. It doesn't seem like much - but after riding Carlos' where the bars are set further back (less wide) and lower than mine - there's a definite benefit to having bars that are wider (Mine are also longer than std by around 30 mm each) & a little less low. They don't need to be angled down quite so steeply. Imagine it - if your bars were super low and you were riding in traffic, etc all day long your back muscles would get tired - right? I don't mean get higher bars so you can put weight on them, just something more comfortable will make the bike more enjoyable for longer periods IMHO.
My guess is Extrapolator will soon be buying some new bars...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I'd add that fitting an uprated link to the rear and re-working forks can make the rear higher than std and the front lower. This is what happened to mine, even after fitting Ohlins forks I think the front is still lower than I started out with. Anyways, fitting adjustable clip ons has made the riding position more comfortable. It doesn't seem like much - but after riding Carlos' where the bars are set further back (less wide) and lower than mine - there's a definite benefit to having bars that are wider (Mine are also longer than std by around 30 mm each) & a little less low. They don't need to be angled down quite so steeply. Imagine it - if your bars were super low and you were riding in traffic, etc all day long your back muscles would get tired - right? I don't mean get higher bars so you can put weight on them, just something more comfortable will make the bike more enjoyable for longer periods IMHO.
My guess is Extrapolator will soon be buying some new bars...
Wait? What? Who, me?? ... Prob a wise suggestion, Stiggly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I thought I was doing real good exercising while we were on vacation, but it wasn't showing much for results and I was getting worried that I'd be out of shape for riding when spring finally arrived here. Wet suit wasn't really any tighter but not much muscle tone improvement. Then my wife told me that I wasn't going to get any real results from just bending my friggin elbow. Now that I'm back in the grind I can see the results. Not in my forearms or biceps, but the side profile is definitely bigger! LOL
Now none of this may ease the wrist situation for anyone but I find the dsicomfort does diminish with time and more rides. I ease up on the grip pressure all I can and that helps.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Vacation Vexation

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I thought I was doing real good exercising while we were on vacation, but it wasn't showing much

Speaking of vacations, when are you gonna put up what you did on vacation, Budoka ?
That's the reason why I started that thread, but nobodys' posted what they've done, while on vacation.
Workaholics, are you all !?! .. . .

Post up, Guys.

Please.

If you wish.

Thanks & Take Care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung March 23rd. 2014 180.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	54522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung March 23rd. 2014 136.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	54530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung March 23rd. 2014 059.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	54538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung March 23rd. 2014 PM-Post Deletion. 188.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	54554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung March 23rd. 2014 PM-Post Deletion. 020.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	54562  

Ride Safe & Friendly.
Regards,
Dr. Rahi.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Another solution to sore wrists: Go 80

Last edited by extrapolator; 04-17-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode