A few questions. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few questions.

Hello. i have a few questions mostly regarding maintenance on my bike(01 rc51).

First is my clutch. im pretty sure its slipping a little. when i hammer on the throttle i get this lurching in the bikes acceleration. its happening in first and second gear and i wasn't there last year. clutch will fully disengage with no "creeping". i assume i need to replace the clutch. probably should be done anyway. I saw online that i don't really need the special service tool. i have done clutches before and i didn't need them then(not on a rc51 though), i assume its similar with this as well. Am i right to say that? also, would a oem clutch be fine or is there better aftermarket options. i am really just a weekend rider and don't really have any interest in hitting the track.

second question is the valve clearance check. Its time to do it and i am wondering if this is a task i can do myself. i have a feeler gauge and the service manual. the manual makes it look super simple...and aside from the gauge and the shim thickness tool, i dont need anything else for the job? and with that said...the bike is at 25 000km and i think its had an easy life since i have owned it, and have owned it since it had 14 000km. would i need to be replacing shims?

Third question is about the ignition system. i want to do plugs and wires, and i am looking into maybe seeing if there is a way to upgrade it. i read online that some guys were switching to coils off of cbr's but performance increases were mostly unnoticed. it said that it was mostly a reliability thing. I was also looking into getting the ignition module for the pc3 usb( pc3 currently installed) and getting everything professionally tuned. ATM the bike has jardine rt two slip ons and i think i am using a jardine slip on map. So my questions are, since i am ripping the system apart, are there any improvements i could make that are with the time and money, or is stock fine, and is the ignition module worth having? the power commander site sucks, and says really nothing to successfully sell there product, and that's when you have finished waiting for it to load. and in general finding any good info on the rc51 can be a challenge...and parts..haha.

anyway i think that's about it for now. everything else seems to be in good order. Thanks in advance for the info and safe raiding to all.

Info on my bike :
2001 honda RC51
PC3 usb with jardine map
jardine slip ons
rest is stock.
25000km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
If your clutch is slipping, all you usually need is replacement friction plates.
The OEM plates are plenty good without resorting to aftermarket plates like from Barnett.
If you want more pressure plate force, you could buy Barnett's clutch springs and install those.

If you want to just check valve clearances, all you'll need is a torque wrench in the proper torque range, metric socket set, good quality feeler gauges, and allen bits for the inspection plugs on the alternator cover.
If you need to swap shims, you can buy them from the dealer in the thickness needed, or you can buy a shim kit from Procycle.
At 23Km, you might not need to change a shim. At 51Km you might find one or two out.

I wouldn't bother with the ignition module for the PCIIIUSB.

As for the change to newer coil-packs from CBRs, I'll leave that decision up to you.
The main advantage of the new system is there is no high-tension lead to degrade and potentially cause misfires or shorts to ground.
The high-tension transformer is integrated into the plug cap.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
if you decide to do the conversion to coil sticks scotts sells a nice kit, its not too expensive and its an easy install.

http://store.scottsms.com/RC51-Coil-...1-Coil-kit.htm

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies

i think i will be getting that kit. that's perfect. my wires and plugs need to be done and that just looks easier to deal with.

still looking into a clutch. if it is a slipping clutch, its in the early stages because its really happened two or three times, and i have hammered on it more than that this year. im starting to think it could be just cold tires and bumpy roads. i'll probably just replace it anyway. cheap enough to do and is really simple.

going to do the spring maintenance tear down here. i have a list of stuff i wanna do. i have ss brakes lines, i wanna change the clutch and the fluid. i wanna clean and grease the chain. i am going to check the valve clearances and clean everything. im probably going to change the coolant too. anything else i should do. i kinda wanna do it all at once so the bike is good to go for the short summers we have here before it goes back into 6 months of hibernation.

Sorry for the long posts...i enjoy chatting about this sorta stuff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser456 View Post
going to do the spring maintenance tear down here.
You better hurry winter is almost here for you....

Where in Canada are you? I want to do some riding in Ontario but don't have a clue which back roads are good. I have driven to Toronto via 402 to 401 but had little time to take in the by-ways.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

Last edited by madbuyer; 04-30-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Get off my ass!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Check your master cylinder for any leaks around the piston boot at the lever and then check the Clutch reservoir for muck. Flush and fill with fresh Dot 4.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Im from the west. I live in alberta. I used to live in ontario. I would imagine all the good quiet roads would be north.401 and hwys like that would be no fun. Too straight. I live near the mountains so the roads through those are exellent.

I will check the master cylinders as well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51 Red Rider View Post
Check your master cylinder for any leaks around the piston boot at the lever and then check the Clutch reservoir for muck. Flush and fill with fresh Dot 4.
Ditto. I would add that if there's a measurable amount of muck, like mine had, it follows that there is a bit of muck in the slave cylinder as well. I don't think flushing the system gets it all out as the muck is on the bottom and the bleeder is on top.

This is what mine looked like with 16,000 mi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51_slave2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1306   Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51_Slave1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1310  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode