Just curious ... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious ...

Ladies and Gents ... On a stop light do you guys put your RC51 in Neutral or you disengage the clutch ( pulling clutch lever all the way ) waiting for the light to turn green ( is there any Cons on disengaging the clutch that long ? )
Thanks for all the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
The con of using neutral is that if someone is about to rearend the bike (one should check rearward traffic in your mirrors), then you can't get out of the way. Rear ending a motorcycle is fairly common, unfortunately.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 04-16-2014 at 08:10 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I got your point there sir kwtoxman ... Now I'm learning ...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Know your intersections.

If you are familiar with the intersection, it may be safe to put it in neutral if the light is long.(Some intersections here will have you waiting five minutes or longer for a light to turn.)

I do keep mine in gear most of the time just for safety.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Sir Madbuyer ... Do we have any Cons on putting it in gear while waiting for the light ...
( what I mean about Cons is for example the flywheel of our clutch getting thinner )
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Only thing under any stress is the release bearing. Which is bathed in oil & pretty bomb proof in my case. 30K+ & still like new.
Forgot to say keeping clutch disengaged will keep the plates nice & wet too.
Everybody likes a wet clutch don't they?

Last edited by pbc0; 04-16-2014 at 01:31 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
^ Not the ducati guys. They like a dry clanky tambourine sounding clutch.

If you have an SP1, and you been riding pretty hard, I always go to neutral at that fist stoplight or two. That's because I've learned that when my clutch and oil is hot, it has a tendancy to want to judder badly if I just hold the clutch in.
It does it on rare occasion when cold too.

Aside from that personal characteristic of my bike, generally speaking, if I can't split lanes (which I do all the time here in CA) I will leave it in gear. For the safety reasons Kwtoxman listed. I feel more vulnerable when sandwiched front and back between cars at a stoplight.
If I'm at the front of the line, splitting lanes, then I usually always grab neutral and sit up and rest for a minute. I always get back into first gear a few seconds before my light turns green, because I want to be the first to break away from the intersection and get out front of all the cars.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Yeah, know your intersections, and traffic lights, if possible. I prefer to go to neutral, but I stay in gear if I think the light will be green soon and/or if there are lots of cars around.

I dunno if others have this problem, but my RC tends to not trigger traffic lights, so sometimes I've had to scoot way up & wait until a car pulls up behind me to trigger the light. I've even turned the bike off while waiting ... not doing that anymore, though. I give the light one cycle, and if it doesn't see me and no car shows up to trigger it, I'm goin'. I'll explain to any LEO and let the chips fall where they may.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ducati's make me cringe. that rattle is metal eating itself IMO.
Judder is a thing of the past that I don't miss at all. SP2 judder spring mod. Simples!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Unless there's no space, or a cop car sitting at the lights I always filter past waiting cars & find neutral just before I brake to a halt. Then I look for adjacent lights to watch them change - engage first, look left and right & make sure there's nothing coming - and get away from the lights as soon as I can once they change. It's rare that I find myself sandwiched between cars at lights.

I don't often keep it in gear unless I can see from adjacent lights that mine are about to go green, in which case I coast and time it to be able to let the clutch out and go when it's green, having made sure there's nothing coming across the road. I don't tend to stop in front of cars, but slightly to the side of them, having filtered past whilst they waited.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode