First ever ride on MY RC!!! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First ever ride on MY RC!!!

I will be getting my RC (2003 SP2) out of storage today for my first ride on it ever! I bought it back in February and have been impatiently waiting for spring to arrive, and even though today is not ideal conditions, I can't wait any longer. The bike did not include an owners manual when I bought it and I would like to buy a workshop manual for it as well. I have been checking Ebay and Amazon off and on, but nothing yet. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
If you do a search you'll probably find a workshop manual. I did a few months ago... but can't remember where. I don't think the owner's manual is all that useful. Can't remember what I've done with mine now.

Check your tyre pressures before you go far & fill to the recommended pressures as per sticker on the swing arm.

Don't go too far on reserve. I tried that on my first SP2 ride and ran out, before being lucky enough to be spotted by another Japanese SP2 owner who helped me out (But that's a story for another time). You can do around 20 miles tops if riding fairly briskly on reserve...

Check the oil with the bike upright - V-Twins can consume a little bit naturally, especially if ridden hard.

Have fun!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Ive got the workshop manual if you want me to email it to you?

have fun! ;-)

www.stuartforster.co.uk

Honda VTX C-Custom 1800 Twin
Honda VTR RC51 SP2 1000 Twin
Honda VTR RC51 SP1 1000 Twin
Triumph Tiger 1050 Triple
GSXR 1000 Inline Four
KTM 660 SMC Single
Lambretta GP 185 Custom
Westfield Seight V8
R32 Golf
Audi TT Mkii
VW T5 Transporter

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Wow, just WOW!! maiden voyage was successful. I see right away I need a speedo healer, the previous owner installed new sprockets -1 front +2 rear and it is very apparent that the speedometer is very optimistic.

The only thing I am a bit disappointed about is the fuel consumption so far. I was not expecting to see the fuel light as soon as I did, and not having any experience with this bike's range, I stopped right away. I'll do some real fuel mileage numbers after I get the speedhealer in place.

OK, now for the newbie question: can somebody please tell me how to open the access hatch on the tail? I have pulled every which way, tried to look under for clips and I don't want to break it. What's the trick?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I've also noticed the temp display fluctuates quite a bit. It will be steady 185 on the highway, but in slow city traffic I have already seen 225. Is this normal or should I be aware of any cooling system problems with this bike? I can only compare this cooling system behavior to the Land Rovers I deal with every day, and coolant temp fluctuations like that indicate big problems there, as does any engine temp much over 215.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhead4x4 View Post
OK, now for the newbie question: can somebody please tell me how to open the access hatch on the tail? I have pulled every which way, tried to look under for clips and I don't want to break it. What's the trick?
You should have a key lock behind the number plate? - took me a while to find mine tbh!

www.stuartforster.co.uk

GSXR 1000 Inline Four
KTM 660 SMC Single
Lambretta GP 185 Custom
Westfield Seight V8
R32 Golf
Audi TT Mkii
VW T5 Transporter
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Glad your first ride out was amazing! Great gearing set up too!

Post up some pictures of your bikes tail section, but normally it's just put your key in at the back of the bike, turn, and lift up your spare seat or the the solo cowl...Do you have an aftermarket undertail on the bike? With hotbodies undertail the key goes in under the tail section. Have a look around.

The fuel consumption sounds about normal, they are hungry beasts!

Do a search for temperature, but the bikes do tend to warm up in slower city stop and go traffic. You can use water wetter or the like, or even look for C/F Rad Fins, Front Rad scoops if your really concerned. Some guys do different fan mods, or have manual on/off controls for stop and go traffic so they can turn on/off the fans when they want before the temps start climbing, but really what you saw sounds about normal though.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Email wont send Eric as its too big. Here is the link for free download, thought it easier to post up for other's reference.

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

Cheers,

www.stuartforster.co.uk

GSXR 1000 Inline Four
KTM 660 SMC Single
Lambretta GP 185 Custom
Westfield Seight V8
R32 Golf
Audi TT Mkii
VW T5 Transporter
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the solo cover, I would never have found the keyhole under the tail if I hadn't asked. Also good to know these temp readings are normal, I was getting a little worried as it went above 220, and this weekend hasn't exactly been a scorcher at 65 degrees. At what point shoud I start being concerned with the temp? I sat in some long traffic lines today, and I'm worried that when summer really does hit and it's 85 on sunbaked pavement this bike will cook itself. I realize they were not made for the stop and go rat race, but unfortunately we don't all live on the track either.

BTW I have many more newbie questions, I am going to start searching for answers, I'll be back for sure if I can't get some satisfaction.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhead4x4 View Post
I've also noticed the temp display fluctuates quite a bit. It will be steady 185 on the highway, but in slow city traffic I have already seen 225. Is this normal or should I be aware of any cooling system problems with this bike? I can only compare this cooling system behavior to the Land Rovers I deal with every day, and coolant temp fluctuations like that indicate big problems there, as does any engine temp much over 215.
Get some engine ice and change out the anti freeze....thius should help.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode