just got bike back from shop.. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
just got bike back from shop..

just got my rc back from the shop after having 2 new dunlop q3's (190/55/17 rear), new chain and a 15 tooth front sprocket installed. What an improvement in rideability! no more feathering the clutch when ever stopping and going. The new tires initially felt really strange, but after some miles they feel great...turn in is awesome! highly recomend the gearing and taller tire change for a first upgrade to these bikes. yes, already went 1 tooth larger in the rear earlier.. power commander v will be going on next week... :-)
corrugated is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
jondog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 8,653
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Nice work! Great choices, they help transform your bike into something notably better huh? Now keep an eye out for a Ohlins rear shock, and send your forks to be resprung and maybe a cartridge kit from Dan Kyle. Or at least change out that fork oil. That'll take you to the next level in handling and performance.
After the power commander, that is.
What RC51 do you have, and how long you been riding it?
How did you decide to do those mods?

fwiw, I've done the things you mentioned, so I know you speak the truth!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
just got bike back from shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Nice work! Great choices, they help transform your bike into something notably better huh? Now keep an eye out for a Ohlins rear shock, and send your forks to be resprung and maybe a cartridge kit from Dan Kyle. Or at least change out that fork oil. That'll take you to the next level in handling and performance.
After the power commander, that is.
What RC51 do you have, and how long you been riding it?
How did you decide to do those mods?

fwiw, I've done the things you mentioned, so I know you speak the truth!
Very noticeable for sure! Much more street-able . Suspension is next for sure...there is a suspension expert close to home here that I'll be visiting soon. Mine is a 2004 SP2..I've had it for 4 years now..put Jardines on it right away, then the rear sprocket +1. Had it on the track a few times, but mostly ride to and from work and fun ride with my buddy's R1 (btw, can take him light to light every time...but he'll pull away in 6th gear only lol!). Anything I've done to the bike has come from advise on here, Speedzilla and Rogue. Thank you for the advise!
corrugated is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Post up some pictures of your Lady...I have always ran the 16/41 set up but may try something a it different later in the year.



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Post up some pictures of your Lady...I have always ran the 16/41 set up but may try something a it different later in the year.
Leave this setup until after your tour...she is even more thirsty with the 15/41 combo.



nobody is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Oh, I intend to for sure.



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
will rev. higher at hwy speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Leave this setup until after your tour...she is even more thirsty with the 15/41 combo.
Totally agree with that, the bike sure does rev higher now at hwy. speed. Just checking the gear spreadsheets to figure out how much more..and of course the speedo is that much more inaccurate...but gives me some added speed buffer for around town now lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-12 09.18.51 RC51.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	58161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120611_124602 (1) RC51.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	58169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140502_132751 RC51 new tires.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	58177  
corrugated is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
jondog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 8,653
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I think the speedohealer is a worthy $100 investment. That'll help keep the odometer less distorted, and knowing my speedo is accurate is a nice thing to me. Handy if you're experimenting with different sprocket and tire sizes. It's got a resettable top speed indicator too.

Great looking bike, I like the first picture, nice contrast between your RC51 and the R1.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I think the speedohealer is a worthy $100 investment. That'll help keep the odometer less distorted, and knowing my speedo is accurate is a nice thing to me. Handy if you're experimenting with different sprocket and tire sizes. It's got a resettable top speed indicator too.

Great looking bike, I like the first picture, nice contrast between your RC51 and the R1.
The RC51 has never been a sexy looking bike, curvy yes but..lol! My new nickname for it-"Hunchback"!

I'll report back with my findings next week or so, after I get and install the P.C. V.. I'm hoping it will smooth out the throttle response a little bit more..
corrugated is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome