Feedback on the 90's model CB750? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback on the 90's model CB750?

Hi everyone,

I've been poking around for a cheap, used, reliable, comfortable bike for the ladyfriend and I to enjoy for day rides. The CB750 seems like a good option, it isn't bad looking, and has updated brakes and time-tested powertrain, and the mid-90's models are pretty abundant here in Germany for minimal cost. Not to mention, parts across ten or more model years are all largely interchangeable. Makes repair and upkeep easier.

Any of our fellow riders here have one? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, there's only so much I can learn from published reviews and articles. Remember, I don't need sporty this time, I need good reliability and general riding comfort.

Thanks guys!

P.S. - I must admit, I started my search with an early 80's Honda V45 Magna, those things were reeeeeaaally cool, not to mention Dad had one, but parts are a nightmare to track down should something fail. Damn my taste for nostalgia...

2006 Black Edition SP2
- Stickerless black...giggity
- Assorted stone chips
- Multicolor bug splats, updated weekly
- Custom boot scratches and crash marks on the tailpiece
- Scuffed bar weights & brake lever from asphalt acrobatics
- Road grime under the fender and tail
- Leo Vince exhaust
- Otherwise OEM, not gonna make BOTY any time soon

HOE-LEE SHEE-YIT, the TORQUE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF/PTM View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been poking around for a cheap, used, reliable, comfortable bike for the ladyfriend and I to enjoy for day rides. The CB750 seems like a good option, it isn't bad looking, and has updated brakes and time-tested powertrain, and the mid-90's models are pretty abundant here in Germany for minimal cost. Not to mention, parts across ten or more model years are all largely interchangeable. Makes repair and upkeep easier.

Any of our fellow riders here have one? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, there's only so much I can learn from published reviews and articles. Remember, I don't need sporty this time, I need good reliability and general riding comfort.

Thanks guys!

P.S. - I must admit, I started my search with an early 80's Honda V45 Magna, those things were reeeeeaaally cool, not to mention Dad had one, but parts are a nightmare to track down should something fail. Damn my taste for nostalgia...
Good golly I wanted one of those bikes BAD, cuz I knew they were fast

Anyway, my bud had a red '94 CB750. I rode it. It was def bland, but much more comfortable than the CBR900RR I had at the time , of course. Typical Honda quality, though, just too 'soft' for me.

Last edited by extrapolator; 05-06-2014 at 02:31 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully this link here works in the states. Tell me that is not a sexy freakin beast!! But try to find a shop that has a head gasket or a radiator or a driveshaft bearing for one...or even worse, a turn signal or switch...beautiful, though, absolutely beautiful.

2006 Black Edition SP2
- Assorted stone chips
- Leo Vince exhaust

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
VF's of that era had a reputation for chocolate camshafts, which heavily damaged Honda's reputation for reliability at the time....
This being during the bubble economy years of Japan when money was oozing from every orifice, Honda did the right thing and re-engineered their V4 engines. The result among others was the VFR750 in 1986 with gear driven cams. You can buy those for a song now and they're awesome bikes - even two up they're great, but you have a 16 inch front wheel. Get a 1990-1997 (They get progressively more expensive the newer they are though - 1993-1997 tend to cost more than the earlier shape) and you'll be all set with a bike that does it all pretty well. A bit soft as standard & brakes are nothing to write home about - but it'll do galactic mileages due to that re-engineering of the 80's.

Don't know much about CB750's of the time, but my dad had a similar(ish) Yamaha XS750 when I was a teenager. The only thing that was excessive about it was how bad a bike it was.
Slow, handled like jello and brakes were poor. Tire sizes on these older bikes tend to limit choices of decent rubber too...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

I did read about the chocolate cams in the old V's, that alone is a reason not to trust a used machine, aside from the fact that she's antique and requires unicorn droppings in exchange for replacement parts. Rats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
VF's of that era had a reputation for chocolate camshafts, which heavily damaged Honda's reputation for reliability at the time....

Yea, but the post-84 Magna's look like a harley mated with a disco DJ. An old VFR might be a good option, though. Ugly 80's styling, but not a bad as the Magna.

Quote:
The result among others was the VFR750 in 1986 with gear driven cams. You can buy those for a song now and they're awesome bikes - even two up they're great, but you have a 16 inch front wheel.

Haha, ok, note to self, avoid XS's. I've read unimpressive things about the modern version (90' era) of the Kawi z-bikes, too, basically that they look like the original but otherwise fall short.

Quote:
Don't know much about CB750's of the time, but my dad had a similar(ish) Yamaha XS750 when I was a teenager. The only thing that was excessive about it was how bad a bike it was.
Slow, handled like jello and brakes were poor. Tire sizes on these older bikes tend to limit choices of decent rubber too...

The galactic mileage numbers very likely applies to a CB750 as well, since even the 70's era straight-4 was a bulletproof design, and the simplicity of the air-cooled design is also appealing, should something need repair or rebuild. That's the kind of feedback I'm hoping for, I know a 90's CB won't be an SP2, or anything close to it, but soft handling and gentle (but adequate) braking combined with a comfy 2-up riding position are just what I'm hoping for.

Thanks so far, guys, keep it coming!

2006 Black Edition SP2
- Assorted stone chips
- Leo Vince exhaust

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Sounds like you already have the heart set on a CB750.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

As an engineer, the data stacks up in the CB's favor. Cheap, presumably reliable, and comfortable. Buuuuut, I'm looking for the input from users, so the decision is a little more real. Data only gets one so far

Quote:
Sounds like you already have the heart set on a CB750.

2006 Black Edition SP2
- Assorted stone chips
- Leo Vince exhaust

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
The early to mid 90's CB750 was one of the last UJMs to wear a Honda label with the exception of the mid 2000's CB900/919. The were/are darn near bulletproof too. My wife and I toured on a CB750C for 3 years when we were first married, racked up allot of miles on it too. The Nighthawk was similar platform, and very similar performance with just a bit more conservative styling.
The soft cams were pretty much specific to the first couple runs of the VF750, the 500 and 1000 models never had an issue that I know of, mine certainly didn't.

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode